Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-YOW Rapidair - now all E90

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
I see that they have upgaged two flights to A321 on that day. With the Canada Day celebrations, I do expect flights to be significantly oversold on June 29/30
A few months ago they would have used a 321 on any old Friday to handle the load. Next Friday is going to be stupid. Glad I am flying direct home from YVR that day I guess.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I flew 763 lie flat bed yesterday
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Once per day re-positioning flight.
--
13F
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Were you on 475 (YOW-YYZ) or 476 (YYZ-YOW)? This is one of the few flights that usually has open seats for standby and upgrades. Was in J on 476 yesterday
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
476 in 3A so we probably saw each other!

I remember the good old days with lots of 767s on this route, hot breakfasts etc. Don't know how they did it. FA said they had the odd 747 as well. Never flew one on that route but that's way over the top for this route now.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
alternative options for July 1

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Returning from LHR on the early flight on 30-June. Checked loads this morning to see my chances of making an earlier connection in YYZ to YOW. Not likely!13F
Two suggestions. Call AC now and ask to be accommodated via another gateway e.g. YHZ, YUL. You might even get the non-stop!

If this doesn't work,go to the connecting gate in YYZ and ask to be put on the standby list. It clears with amazing regularity.

Enjoy the 150th fireworks!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
476 in 3A so we probably saw each other!

I remember the good old days with lots of 767s on this route, hot breakfasts etc. Don't know how they did it. FA said they had the odd 747 as well. Never flew one on that route but that's way over the top for this route now.
Yep, pretty much right across in 4F.

These days, with the lower FA/PAX ratio, service is rushed in J regardless of aircraft type on this route...
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by YoYUL
This will do wonders for YOW's already terrible pax numbers. It's hard to believe that with so much going on in Canada's Capital for Canada 150 that YOW's pax numbers for 2017 are likely going end the year negative.
So far, until May 2017, overall passenger numbers are up 1%. Domestic numbers have been up for all 5 months. Domestic numbers for May were up 2.7% compared to May 2016.

So clearly the passenger numbers aren't behaving the way you are explaining it. What drives down YOW's numbers isn't domestic, but rather transborder and intl, which are getting trashed the last few years. Transborder is down every month so far this year, and intl every month except April. So the fact that YOW's numbers are in positive territory so far is due entirely to domestic traffic!

Now back to the subject at hand, AC has shifted all their E190 ops out east. With dwindling numbers, it makes sense to consolidate them all to one base.

They have been adding routes to YYZ, YVR and YUL, and they probably need those A320/A321s elsewhere. Trading in capacity for frequency on a busy route like YOW-YYZ isn't such a bad thing.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jun 24, 2017 at 9:11 am
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Two suggestions. Call AC now and ask to be accommodated via another gateway e.g. YHZ, YUL. You might even get the non-stop!

If this doesn't work,go to the connecting gate in YYZ and ask to be put on the standby list. It clears with amazing regularity.

Enjoy the 150th fireworks!
I am taking the first flight out of LHR in order to get home in the early afternoon, instead of early evening for the direct flight. When I was SE100k, I could politely ask the concierge to watch for my arrival into YYZ and put me on standby for an earlier flight, but I haven't been able to do that for the last few months. I will sprint to the gate and ask for standby. As long as my LHR-YYZ flight is on time, I can make a flight one hour earlier.
--
13F
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I am taking the first flight out of LHR in order to get home in the early afternoon, instead of early evening for the direct flight. When I was SE100k, I could politely ask the concierge to watch for my arrival into YYZ and put me on standby for an earlier flight, but I haven't been able to do that for the last few months. I will sprint to the gate and ask for standby. As long as my LHR-YYZ flight is on time, I can make a flight one hour earlier.
--
13F
You should be able to get an agent in LHR to add you to the standby list.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You should be able to get an agent in LHR to add you to the standby list.
Thanks for the tip. ^ I will ask.
--
13F
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
The 767 re-positioning on days when they are finishing / re-adding YOW-FRA isn't doing much for anyone. Specifically it isn't when you want it to be; e.g. late afternoon extra capacity on a Tuesday is not very helpful.

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone
Trading in capacity for frequency on a busy route like YOW-YYZ isn't such a bad thing.
If you've been following along or if you fly YOW-YYZ you'd know their implementation is a bad thing. Total capacity is down, and as I've already pointed out repeatedly:

1. The extra frequency is only at certain peak times. When we've got IRROPS or a bunch of misconnects for other reasons outside of those times then these flights do nothing. Specifically, the last 2 flights of the day YYZ to YOW are a train wreck of trying to accommodate misconnects and oversold flights.

2. The extra frequency at peak times only works if the planes are there. When they are getting the extra aircraft from routes like EWR-YYZ that is massively late all the time then the "extra frequency" just contributes to misconnects, rebookings and standby pax which makes the whole problem worse.

TLDR: Switching to the E190 have reduced overall capacity between YOW and YYZ and their ham-fisted attempts to put extra aircraft on during peak periods is hardly helping.

As I've noted if they keep going like this during the winter we're going to see a lot more angry pax in this thread, including me. Having status with AC helps but when I walk up to the gate and there are already 10 people on the standby list...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
The 767 re-positioning on days when they are finishing / re-adding YOW-FRA isn't doing much for anyone. Specifically it isn't when you want it to be; e.g. late afternoon extra capacity on a Tuesday is not very helpful.

If you've been following along or if you fly YOW-YYZ you'd know their implementation is a bad thing. Total capacity is down, and as I've already pointed out repeatedly:

1. The extra frequency is only at certain peak times. When we've got IRROPS or a bunch of misconnects for other reasons outside of those times then these flights do nothing. Specifically, the last 2 flights of the day YYZ to YOW are a train wreck of trying to accommodate misconnects and oversold flights.

2. The extra frequency at peak times only works if the planes are there. When they are getting the extra aircraft from routes like EWR-YYZ that is massively late all the time then the "extra frequency" just contributes to misconnects, rebookings and standby pax which makes the whole problem worse.

TLDR: Switching to the E190 have reduced overall capacity between YOW and YYZ and their ham-fisted attempts to put extra aircraft on during peak periods is hardly helping.

As I've noted if they keep going like this during the winter we're going to see a lot more angry pax in this thread, including me. Having status with AC helps but when I walk up to the gate and there are already 10 people on the standby list...
Agreed entirely. The extra frequency at peak times has really only added a couple of flights, and does not make up for the diminished capacity. Most brutal of all is the three hour gap between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. The "increased frequency" has reduced the number of evening flights. Many transborder/international flights arrive just a little too late to connect to the 8 p.m. flight, thus inducing a 3 hour delay. Most annoying!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
--
13F
I was in this situation yesterday. Arrived 15 minutes early in YYZ, thought I had a chance, made it to the gate seeing the aircraft still at the gate, looked up at the board, and... "Gate Closed". The agent told me it wouldn't have mattered if I had been there a few minutes earlier, as every seat was occupied. Again emphasizing that these E190's are at full capacity.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
At the same time it seems like capacity and service out of YHZ has improved dramatically. Ottawa baffles me considering it is our capital city and I would think it gets a lot of well paying government fares? I would expect it have much better service than it does, especially on the short jaunt to YYZ.

YQB is the other one. It is a city of a million people, but virtually no useful air service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.