Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Compensation and Promo Code discounts

Compensation and Promo Code discounts

Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:44 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pewpew
that's the first time I've heard someone complain about a fare drop
Not complaining at all, I still saved 85% of the fare drop
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by SKYEG
5/17/2012 I wrote in to compliment excellent service. They told me they normally give out 5% codes but bumped me to a 10% code for anywhere LOL!

I know I got a 5% for a broken IFE for INTL J sometime in 2013/2014 but I can't find the email. Might have been one of those blue/green cards(cant remember colour) they used to give out? I think that was AC?

No other discount codes for me.
ooh, I gotta send out a few compliments
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:14 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
ooh, I gotta send out a few compliments

People spuriously sending in compliments or complaints to generate compensation is what ruins the system not only for the rest of us, but ultimately for those people as well, once the airlines clamp down to prevent such abuses.
mapleg likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

People spuriously sending in compliments or complaints to generate compensation is what ruins the system not only for the rest of us, but ultimately for those people as well, once the airlines clamp down to prevent such abuses.
Agreed, and when AirCanada responds to those who game the system, with enhancements no less, then I'm curious if the complimenters are the first to complain?

When absolutely warranted, I email head of Concierge services, when someone's gone over and above, but I'm too busy to make this a normal practice
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Hello AC Forum - I'm a visitor from the Delta Air Lines forum looking for some advice for a friend. They had an AC itinerary going SEA-YVR-XXX-BCN, with the first few segments on AC and the last segment on LH. The SEA-YVR flight was delayed 3+ hours at SEA, which would have missed their connection at YVR. They opted to be rebooked out of SEA, however AC gave them the earliest rebook of the following day. They will miss a day in BCN and have some costs for hotel and tours that will be forfeited. What's a reasonable compensation to ask for?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Hello AC Forum - I'm a visitor from the Delta Air Lines forum looking for some advice for a friend. They had an AC itinerary going SEA-YVR-XXX-BCN, with the first few segments on AC and the last segment on LH. The SEA-YVR flight was delayed 3+ hours at SEA, which would have missed their connection at YVR. They opted to be rebooked out of SEA, however AC gave them the earliest rebook of the following day. They will miss a day in BCN and have some costs for hotel and tours that will be forfeited. What's a reasonable compensation to ask for?
​​​​​​Ask for anything you want. But (after several weeks waiting) you will likely get a 10-20% off code for a future AC flight.
The code is only applicable to base fares, not taxes or surcharge, so on a $1000 ticket, it applies to only about $400 of the cost.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Unfortunately, what you need to do in these situations is be more proactive. AC's generally quite willing to rebook you on an alternative if you provide it to them.

But after the fact, they're pretty lackluster with compensation.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Friends got a promo code recently from customer relations. I was surprised to hear it was good for 3 years. I haven’t had a code myself for some time but my recollection is that they were valid for1 year. It’s great for the recipients.

Curious. Has the validity period changed?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Friends got a promo code recently from customer relations. I was surprised to hear it was good for 3 years. I havent had a code myself for some time but my recollection is that they were valid for1 year. Its great for the recipients.

I received one last year due to IFE issues which was good for 2 years. It appears like all things AC YMMV......
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Friends got a promo code recently from customer relations. I was surprised to hear it was good for 3 years. I havent had a code myself for some time but my recollection is that they were valid for1 year. Its great for the recipients.

Don't think so.
I have accumulated several over the last 4-5 years and they all seem to have 3 year validity / expiry dates.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Thanks for the responses.. The friends are not seasoned travellers and I encouraged them to put in a request for a service lapse. 3 years is terrific. Lots of flexibility for them.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:49 am
zam

Tried to use a soon to expire code and although the screen claimed to be applying it to all fares, it did not do so for latitude. Now this was one of those website based good latitude fares, so do you think that those are already preprogrammed as being discounted via a promotion and not eligible for the codes?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by zam
Tried to use a soon to expire code and although the screen claimed to be applying it to all fares, it did not do so for latitude. Now this was one of those website based good latitude fares, so do you think that those are already preprogrammed as being discounted via a promotion and not eligible for the codes?
Could be? My experience has been that promo codes don't work on the cheap ex-Europe latitude fares.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Im on an Air Canada paid (not reward) business class ticket, flying today YVR-FRA on LH metal. LH informed me a couple hours ago that my business class seat IFE monitor isnt working and theres no other seat available. I declined a downgrade to PE with a working monitor. Who do I seek compensation from - LH or AC? I really dont want an LH voucher and would likely never use it. Id much prefer compensation from AC. Anyone had a similar experience?
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by ac/elite
Im on an Air Canada paid (not reward) business class ticket, flying today YVR-FRA on LH metal. LH informed me a couple hours ago that my business class seat IFE monitor isnt working and theres no other seat available. I declined a downgrade to PE with a working monitor. Who do I seek compensation from - LH or AC? I really dont want an LH voucher and would likely never use it. Id much prefer compensation from AC. Anyone had a similar experience?
If you stated in Business Class there is no obligatory compensation, so you would write into LH to request goodwill compensation for the product failure. LH has the ability to ask AC to award Aeroplan miles, so in your request to LH you could request that specifically.
billdokes likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.