Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: 'Appalling': Woman bumped from Air Canada flight misses $10,000 Galapagos cruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: 'Appalling': Woman bumped from Air Canada flight misses $10,000 Galapagos cruise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by smallmj
Here is CBC's latest story in their crusade against overbooking:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...agos-1.4077645

A few of points stand out:

(1) It sounds like she booked her flight through a NY based travel agent/tour provider. Everyone on FT knows that it is too risky to fly in on the day of a cruise. Shouldn't a travel agent know that too and advise against it?

(2) She had a boarding pass but was bumped at the gate. Did she get a seat assignment on her boarding pass?

(3) The gate agent said that she didn't have a "valid ticket." Either the gate agent was lying to get rid of her and send her back to the customer service desk, or she misunderstood the terminology. I would hope that a lawyer would understand the importance of precise terminology, but lawyers are human too.

(4) There was no mention of gate announcements looking for VDB with compensation.
I agree.

There are a number of details missing here.

Originally Posted by mapleg
Retired lawyer eh?

One would think that Ben a modicum of research on any cruise forum would indicate to build in a sufficient buffer for delays, weather issues and the like.

PS-do any of these bumpers check in online when it opens?
I know some people in occupations with high academic requirements (med, dent, law, PHD) that really know their profession well. But know very little outside of their job and their main hobbies. If their hobby isn't travel, then they won't know what an FT-PHD with thousands of posts will.

Interestingly though, as an ex-lawyer, even if she does feel strongly that AC is at fault, then she may not feel that she has a legal case against AC. She's gone to CBC for attention rather than the court of law to sort it out.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I agree.

There are a number of details missing here.

I know some people in occupations with high academic requirements (med, dent, law, PHD) that really know their profession well. But know very little outside of their job and their main hobbies. If their hobby isn't travel, then they won't know what an FT-PHD with thousands of posts will.

Interestingly though, as an ex-lawyer, even if she does feel strongly that AC is at fault, then she may not feel that she has a legal case against AC. She's gone to CBC for attention rather than the court of law to sort it out.
This. As a retired lawyer I would have expected her to read through all the documents and T&C before agreeing to purchase. The fact that she didn't go to court shows that she knew she couldn't win. The more I read these stories the more angry I get at the CBC for taking taxpayers' money and spend it on piss poor quality reporting.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are a lot of very bad travel agents out there. If they don't travel themselves or just book cheap packages, they have no clue.
The article mentioned she did extensive research to pick that travel agent. While the agent maybe good at the cruise part of it, they sound inept in not advising her to get to Miami a day or two early.

Not sure why some cruisers arrive on such a tight timeline for boat departure. She is retired so presumably not bound like some who only get so many vacation days per year and has to squeeze in what they can.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Where is the line drawn for flyers to take responsibility for the choices that they make?

I read these various threads on FlyerTalk about AC and CBC and it comes down to a poster's view on whether or not government should step in or when the flyer/family should take ownership of the decisions that they make.

It really comes down to your viewpoint on these types of issues.

Maybe it's time AC educates its passengers and TAs during the booking process. It would be simple to post when purchasing a Tango fare that with that fare the chances of being bumped is x% and if you don't buy a seat assignment y% and if you do not key in your aeroplan number z% and if you are not an SE v% and if you are not connecting w% and if you have not handed over your first born child to AC well then you might as well forget it, fly WestJet... lol
Isn't it time for AC to take some responsibility since it is their rules and it is their staff who apply the rules? Can you imagine running our hospitals like AC is run??? "Oh sorry about your cancer surgery, the OR is overbooked. You're going to have to go back to your doctor and get back on the list. Good luck!" lol I know it happens (rarely) but it's usually an emergency, not an attempt at a surgeon trying to make some extra cash.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by canopus27
Tough to throw her under the bus for flying Rogue .... if you have to get to Miami, that's basically your only option on AC.
Except there are other options on YYZ-MIA (including nonstop). Rouge, especially statusless tango fare rouge, would be my very last choice on this route.

If I m dropping $10000 on a cruise, I m not flying in 29" rouge to get there.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by YYT82
Well get used to higher fares coming soon. With all these news articles on bumping, no doubt the stupid government will try to ban overbooking. What we'll get is higher fares and no more flexible/refundable tickets.

Are people not responsible for their poor planning or ignorant mistakes anymore? Flying the day before a once-in-a-lifetime cruise? She was asking for trouble to begin with.
Poor planning such as selling 110% of available product? While I personally would fly a few days early, you shouldn't have to. As far as I'm concerned she was in the right. But she also missed her cruise. In a perfect world AC should be on the hook for the missed cruise. So I'll take cowering to their BS and making my cruise.

How much does overselling flights really add to the bottom line? It's along the lines of offering or not offering free snacks. Across all passengers, it likely works out to the order of a few dollars.

There's no problem with over booking, but like computerized algo fares, sometimes the system screws the airliee and you get mistake fares and fuel dumps which aren't honoured. You want the good, you take the bad too, which in this case would be upping compensation until there's a bite.

Is it even possible to get a contract for carriage now? As in, I need to be at this place to drive an oil tanker, if you don't deliver, I'm suing you for the $100k/day fee that this ship was waiting on me. Similar to what would happen if a builder fails to complete on time. Why should airlines get a free pass not to honour what they've promised? Try what the airlines do at work. Shut down a production line because at the last minute you wanted a "me-day" but then just tell you're boss he can keep 2x your daily wage and that "we're cool right?"

In any other industry, failure to deliver what you agreed to when other people are counting on it would result in you being sued for damages.

The issue I have is with the BS contract. It's 50 pages of legalese which boils down to "you pay now, but have zero rights for travel or compensation" where as most people reasonably consider it to be (and it's almost advertised as) "you pay, we're obliged to move you from A to B at time X".

It's really no different than Aeroplan. The message is Fly, Earn points, Take a trip for free. Where as the reality is, Fly, Earn points, fly ...... schedules to airports and pay more than the cost of a regular ticket in taxes/fees.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Except there are other options on YYZ-MIA (including nonstop). Rouge, especially statusless tango fare rouge, would be my very last choice on this route.

If I m dropping $10000 on a cruise, I m not flying in 29" rouge to get there.
Most people don't know or don't mind the implication of a statusless tango fare rouge on a 29" seat. They just want to save $20 because they can (irrespective of dropping $10k on a cruise of a lifetime).
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are a lot of very bad travel agents out there. If they don't travel themselves or just book cheap packages, they have no clue.
Originally Posted by mapleg
The article mentioned she did extensive research to pick that travel agent. While the agent maybe good at the cruise part of it, they sound inept in not advising her to get to Miami a day or two early.
As mentioned earlier the article only she says she booked through the tour company and doesn't mention a travel agent at all so why the eagerness to assess blame without evidence?

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 21, 2017 at 7:34 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by YYT82
This. As a retired lawyer I would have expected her to read through all the documents and T&C before agreeing to purchase. The fact that she didn't go to court shows that she knew she couldn't win. The more I read these stories the more angry I get at the CBC for taking taxpayers' money and spend it on piss poor quality reporting.
Don't get too mad, there is even worse privately funded "reporting" out there
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by kop84
Don't get too mad, there is even worse privately funded "reporting" out there
LOL, I suppose. I can think of a dozen just off the top of my head.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tcook052
As mentioned earlier the article only she says she booked through the tour company and doesn't mention a travel agent at all so why the eagerness to assess blame without evidence?
The article made it sound like she booked her flight and cruise through the tour company.

After doing extensive research, she booked a National Geographic tour with New York-based Lindblad Expeditions.

It included a round-trip Air Canada flight from Toronto to Miami.
In that case I would consider the tour company her travel agent. They booked the ticket with a too tight connection. Did they warn her that this was a bad idea? If not, then they should take at least some of the blame. Perhaps that is why they are giving her a replacement cruise.

Last edited by smallmj; Apr 21, 2017 at 7:45 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:47 am

Regarding overbooking:

1) CBC is pushing a lot of AC overbooking stories (with varying degrees of legitimacy).

2) The UA incident fall-out.

3) Westjet publicly states that it doesn't overbook

Perhaps AC SHOULD stop overbooking. Reduce the number of ultra-low A & K class Tango tickets available. And drop the guaranteed reservation benefit for E75/S100k (though I think it is rarely used).

People are going to complain about how "expensive" airfare is regardless of how cheap flying is now. I have coworkers that complain that round trip fares from YYC to YYZ/YOW/YUL at $450 is highway robbery.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:47 am

For those that want overselling and IDB to disappear, you are all barking at the wrong tree. Legislating them out isn't going to help the public as fares will rise. No one has been able to challenge me when I posted in other threads about fares generally rising immediately after the $800 IDB compensation rule was brought in, and AC also moved more booking classes into Tango, effectively raising Flex fares. Go back and have a look at your ticket purchases before and shortly after September 18, 2013. Don't forget the domestic free checked bags were eliminated shortly after that date as well for Tangoers. Correlation doesn't equal causation I know, but you can't say the timing didn't make it suspicious.

The true answer is Open Skies. The more competition there is in the domestic skies, even from foreign carriers, the more consumers will benefit. Overselling practice can still continue but the consequences of losing customers will be real. Right now, there is no competition and the fares are high. For the Tangoers or once-a-year flyers, it's not noticeable. But for people that fly once a week like myself, 10% fare increase means at least several $k hit to my pocket. I don't get reimbursed nor can I write them off.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tcook052
The post I quoted suggested that the travel agent be blamed for the fiasco.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by smallmj
The article made it sound like she booked her flight and cruise through the tour company.
In that case I would consider the tour company her travel agent. They booked the ticket with a too tight connection. Did they warn her that this was a bad idea? If not, then they should take at least some of the blame. Perhaps that is why they are giving her a replacement cruise.
It's mixing up terms to say 'travel agent' when it should be 'tour company' and if that's overly pedantic so be but it appears this error wasn't made by a travel agent but rather some staffer at the tour company with an unknown amount of experience and expertise with international air travel. And yes, I would agree that oversight could be why the tour company was eager to make amends with a make-up cruise at their expense.

The puzzling part however was why the tour company only heard about the passenger's plight from the CBC and not the passenger herself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.