Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is Aeroplan blocking UA award seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

I am looking for 5 business class seats to Europe for my family without scamcharges, and found ORD-FRA UA flight on March 20, 2018. Here is the screenshot from UA website:

The same 5 business class seats are also showing as available on LifeMiles:

And on ANA:

However, Aeroplan website shows nothing:

Not even a single business class seat on that flight, let alone 5. Is Aeroplan blocking UA award space?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by echino
Not even a single business class seat on that flight, let alone 5. Is Aeroplan blocking UA award space?
What is wrong with the options shown to you by AE?

Probably just trying to get you to pony up scam charges. Did you try calling in?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hydrogen
What is wrong with the options shown to you by AE?

Probably just trying to get you to pony up scam charges. Did you try calling in?
No, I did not try calling in.

Note that Aeroplan is also blocking economy award seats on this UA flight.

I also tried Aeroplan app, same results.

I tried several other dates as well, where UA has economy or business award seats to Europe, and they are not showing on Aeroplan website.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Some of the flights are showing though. For example, ORD-MUC in economy class, available on other websites:

March 11: Aeroplan shows as available
March 18: Aeroplan shows as not available
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Playing further with that, it looks like Aeroplan is restricting all UA availability to less than 330 days out, while other programs have no issue booking at more than 330 days out.

This is critical since I am looking for 5 business class seats, which are extremely unlikely to remain available until the flight is within 330 days, since other programs have earlier access to those seats and will book them before I get a chance with Aeroplan.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I dont think its blockage per se (until you call in and they ll also say not available)
or maybe its too far out for Aeroplan?

Hasnt it been proven in the past that the website will only display up to 6 options....

...and if they just happen to be high scamcharge options on mixed cabin AC metal ... well... AC just made $1000!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I dont think its blockage per se (until you call in and they ll also say not available)
or maybe its too far out for Aeroplan?

Hasnt it been proven in the past that the website will only display up to 6 options....

...and if they just happen to be high scamcharge options on mixed cabin AC metal ... well... AC just made $1000!
I am regularly presented with more than six options.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I would call in and ask specifically for those flights. Though they will probably say that they can only see what you can see online...

I agree, those flights should be available.

Let us know what happens.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
I see the same issue with some LX and TG flights that show up on both UA an NH sites, but not on AP. I expect they should be available if you speak to an agent.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
I am looking for 5 business class seats to Europe for my family without scamcharges
Then forget UA and grab the TK flight. Much better product, and only $14.60 each.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Twickenham
Then forget UA and grab the TK flight. Much better product, and only $14.60 each.
We had been getting SSSS for several months after flying via IST last time, so wife refuses to fly via IST again because of that.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
"Refuses to fly via IST" because you get a slightly more annoying security check?

That's pretty unreasonable.

In the end did you call and find the availability? I have a problem with AP only showing the scam charge options too, but it is what it is. I got a round the world trip for 100k and like $300 avoiding the scam airlines, by doing the research and then calling. It sucks to call and pay the $40 or whatever, but I got exactly what I wanted, much to the surprise of the agent.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drvannostren
"Refuses to fly via IST" because you get a slightly more annoying security check?

That's pretty unreasonable.
That was a major haraSSSSment for several months. It was not just a slight inconvenience.

Originally Posted by drvannostren
In the end did you call and find the availability?
Yes, I called Aeroplan. This flight is not available by phone either.

Confirmed: Aeroplan blocks all UA award availability beyond 330 days.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

As expected, by the time the UA flight date moved within 330 days and becomes bookable by Aeroplan, all business class seats are gone.

So other A* programs have first access to UA award seats at more than 330 days, while Aeroplan members only get what is left over, which is usually nothing on high demand routes. This is a serious issue.

How to approach trying to resolve that? I called Aeroplan and asked, but was fed the usual BS saying UA releases different inventory to different partners, and do not release anything to Aeroplan beyond 330 days.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
We had been getting SSSS for several months after flying via IST last time, so wife refuses to fly via IST again because of that.
Why do you assume the two are linked? I fly to much more shady places than IST and I don't get SSSS all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.