Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WesternCDN
DH3 (50 seats): 30 minutes
CRJ (50 seats): 30 minutes
E75 (76 seats): 25 minutes
DH4 (78 seats): 30 minutes (20 minutes at YTZ/YTM)
CR9 (76 seats): 30 minutes
223 (137 seats): 35 minutes
319 Jetz (58 seats): 30 minutes
319 rouge (136 seats): 40 minutes
320 (146 seats): 35 minutes
320 rouge (168 seats): ???
7M8 (169 seats): 35 minutes
321 (190 seats): 40 minutes
321 rouge (196 seats): ???
321 rouge (200 seats): ???
788 (255 seats): 40 minutes (60 minutes at DEL)
333 XM (292 seats): 45 minutes
333 refurb (297 seats): 45 minutes
789 (298 seats): 45 minutes (60 minutes at DEL)
77L (300 seats): 45 minutes

77W (400 seats): 50 minutes
77W (450 seats): 55 minutes

Seat counts obtained from https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

Print Wikipost

Boarding Times by Aircraft Type

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Boarding Times by Aircraft Type

I hadn't seen this compiled anywhere, so I thought I'd take a stab at it.

I have no idea where rouge falls into this, but I'm pretty sure I have the numbers right.

Feel free to correct anything.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Wow, didn't realize they padded the times at DEL. Good on AC. More airlines should do that, DEL is probably the slowest major airport on earth to board an aircraft at.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Wow, didn't realize they padded the times at DEL. Good on AC. More airlines should do that, DEL is probably the slowest major airport on earth to board an aircraft at.
OMG you have NO IDEA. But yes, I fully support starting boarding at T-60 because even then you'll be lucky to leave on time.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Awesome! Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: Irrelevant
I have almost never boarded any earlier than 10 minutes before departure. I hate sitting in the plane longer than I have to. I love being the last to board and hearing the door close while I'm still getting into my seat. ^
YVR72 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:50 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Moo cow, this is presumably AC's SOP for when to actually board a flight as opposed to what's printed on a BP?

Originally Posted by jaysona
I have almost never boarded any earlier than 10 minutes before departure. I hate sitting in the plane longer than I have to. I love being the last to board and hearing the door close while I'm still getting into my seat. ^
Lucky you. I was once denied boarding on a flight where they closed the door right before I got there at 21 minutes before scheduled departure and left me stranded overnight in IAH.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Moo cow, this is presumably AC's SOP for when to actually board a flight as opposed to what's printed on a BP?
I thought this was what got printed on the BP
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
OMG you have NO IDEA. But yes, I fully support starting boarding at T-60 because even then you'll be lucky to leave on time.
They should implement zonal boarding first. Zone 1 boarding doesn't mean a thing when they are 200 people crammed like sardines before you. And thats after they kick everyone out of the lounge at T-60.

Originally Posted by jaysona
I've waited intentionally a few times. But only when I have a tiny carry on, which is rare. Otherwise I want to be sure it's going on. I also have no problem sitting in a J seat for longer, it beats the waiting area; though I'm not a fan of the ones where the entire plane walks through J to get to Y.
I've also made tight connections, nothing quite beats walking past the Zone/Group 3-5 boarding line, does that make be a bad person?

Did you know UA claims they close all their doors at t-10?

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Lucky you. I was once denied boarding on a flight where they closed the door right before I got there at 21 minutes before scheduled departure and left me stranded overnight in IAH.
I once got a flight at t-20 having been eating breakfast (the airport decided that all food places should be closed before 5am) and the waiting area was completely empty. Turned out we were the last two people and they were waiting for us. No status, in Y. Curiously this wasn't AC, and there was no announcement.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
And I thought that AC's standard operating procedure was NEVER to start boarding
until at least 15 minutes after the boarding time printed on the boarding pass...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
At Christmas time was flying YHZ-YYZ-NAS, and the YHZ-YYZ flight was delayed quite a bit due to a broken baggage loader in YYZ. Had to sprint the mile from Domestic to INTL at YYZ. Made it to the gate at T-10, and they didn't even give my gate cleared Eup away. Boarded the plane and immediately after heard "boarding complete." They were a little behind sched but no delay posted. I could see they were still catering the plane when we were landing on the previous flight. Might explain why the door was still open.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
And I thought that AC's standard operating procedure was NEVER to start boarding
until at least 15 minutes after the boarding time printed on the boarding pass...
This sounds about right. Boarding, in my experience, never begins at the published time, but generally is completed on schedule (India notwithstanding).

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
Might explain why the door was still open.
They knew you were coming, and your ETA from the first leg.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Except that it being AC, it can be wildly inconsistent.

I showed up at the gate at T-40 mins in LAS for a AC rouge flight only to find they had started the boarding around T-60 on a 319 and were pretty much fully boarded at T-40.

There was no overhead bin space left for Zone 1's boarding at T-40 mins, so we had to gate check our carry-ons, and then sat on the aircraft for 40 mins while they waited for a pax who eventually no-showed and had to offload their bag.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:08 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I thought this was what got printed on the BP
Presumably this is based on your huge collection of paper BPs?

I thought destination had something to do with it though.

I'm pretty sure that on YYC<>IAH the BP shows more than 25 minutes.

But I definitely don't have a big stack of BPs to go back to
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Random observation: Boarding seems to start at ~T-60min for any YVR-YYZ flight operated by the 77P/777HD (although my sample size is <10)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Interesting and potentially useful thread!^

My general rule of thumb is:

- regional jet with sky-check service: board at T-20min
- narrowbody aircrafts without skycheck service: follow boarding time shown on BP and deduct 5min
- wide-body in Y/PY: follow boarding time shown on BP and deduct 5min
- wide-body in J: T-30min

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.