Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WesternCDN
DH3 (50 seats): 30 minutes
CRJ (50 seats): 30 minutes
E75 (76 seats): 25 minutes
DH4 (78 seats): 30 minutes (20 minutes at YTZ/YTM)
CR9 (76 seats): 30 minutes
223 (137 seats): 35 minutes
319 Jetz (58 seats): 30 minutes
319 rouge (136 seats): 40 minutes
320 (146 seats): 35 minutes
320 rouge (168 seats): ???
7M8 (169 seats): 35 minutes
321 (190 seats): 40 minutes
321 rouge (196 seats): ???
321 rouge (200 seats): ???
788 (255 seats): 40 minutes (60 minutes at DEL)
333 XM (292 seats): 45 minutes
333 refurb (297 seats): 45 minutes
789 (298 seats): 45 minutes (60 minutes at DEL)
77L (300 seats): 45 minutes

77W (400 seats): 50 minutes
77W (450 seats): 55 minutes

Seat counts obtained from https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

Print Wikipost

Boarding Times by Aircraft Type

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
OMG you have NO IDEA. But yes, I fully support starting boarding at T-60 because even then you'll be lucky to leave on time.
Why is this so?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: TK *G
If I recall correctly, the boarding time is different for domestic and international flights. I recall boarding time at T-60 at HKG for 450 seats 773.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Presumably this is based on your huge collection of paper BPs?
Actually, I aggregated this through other means.

Which is why it's a wiki. I'm happy to have things corrected (like whether the different 77Ws, or rouge planes, follow these times).
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Was cleaning out some papers today and found a couple of recent BPs for YYC-IAH and IAH-YYC. Boarding printed 30 minutes before departure.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I just want to point out the 777W 450 Seats have always started boarding earlier out of the last three times I have taken the flight on the equipment.

I also noticed 3/4 of 777W 400 seats have also begun boarding earlier than the published time. The only one time where it did not started boarding early was AC156, but I suspect it was planned because as we are finishing boarding they announced a further 30(40?) min delay.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Was cleaning out some papers today and found a couple of recent BPs for YYC-IAH and IAH-YYC. Boarding printed 30 minutes before departure.
That was on a CRA?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That was on a CRA?
Always. I've been flying that route fairly often for 7 years and never seen anything else, sadly.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Always. I've been flying that route fairly often for 7 years and never seen anything else, sadly.
Thanks. I updated the wiki.

Clearly this data source of mine isn't entirely accurate

Either that or they have a list of what they print on the BP that is different from when they actually intend to start boarding (I know there's an internal list GAs can look up by aircraft type).
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
From recent boarding passes:

CRJ: 30 minutes YYG or YYZ
DH4: 30 minutes YYZ or YFC
BEH: 30 minutes YHZ
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Okay, I now have a suspicion that the times I have are what the agents use to determine when to ACTUALLY start boarding.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Some of these numbers look odd for outstations.

In a place like YXE they can turn an aircraft fairly quickly. The Airbus coming in from Toronto is usually late and between when it arrives and departs is may only be 30-40 minutes.

What would be an interesting strategy is to print the boarding time on the pass based on zone. Zone 1 has a start time of T-30, Zone 2 at T-25 etc. Doing that may involve a rethink of the zone the higher tier altitude members get to use. Alternatively, only use zones for economy and leave the premium line open to board at any time.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Alternatively, only use zones for economy and leave the premium line open to board at any time.
This is essentially what we have now. The only thing is having Zone 1 and Zone 2 separates J and SE, from AC Elites and *G giving them separate lanes. Other than that Z1 and Z2 can board whenever they want in their respective lanes.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
This is essentially what we have now. The only thing is having Zone 1 and Zone 2 separates J and SE, from AC Elites and *G giving them separate lanes. Other than that Z1 and Z2 can board whenever they want in their respective lanes.
Not quite. On the boarding pass the Elites, *G and J and SE all go into the preferred boarding category have a listed boarding time of T-15 minutes with the dedicated lane but can board at their convince if they show up early at the gate. Lets call this zone 0 as it has a separate lane.

Then Zone 1 are those who need special assistance, they might have T-30. Followed by Zone 2 with T-25 printed on their boarding pass and so on.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Not quite. On the boarding pass the Elites, *G and J and SE all go into the preferred boarding category have a listed boarding time of T-15 minutes with the dedicated lane but can board at their convince if they show up early at the gate. Lets call this zone 0 as it has a separate lane.

Then Zone 1 are those who need special assistance, they might have T-30. Followed by Zone 2 with T-25 printed on their boarding pass and so on.
Ok I see what you mean. I feel like you'd end up with a lot of elites showing up early to claim bin space in Y anyways.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Okay, I now have a suspicion that the times I have are what the agents use to determine when to ACTUALLY start boarding.
Before you posted my thread, my recollection was that the boarding time had more to do with the type of flight than type of plane, e.g. domestic/TB was 35 minutes (or 30 or whatever), international was 55 (or whatever).

Some of these numbers look odd for outstations.

In a place like YXE they can turn an aircraft fairly quickly. The Airbus coming in from Toronto is usually late and between when it arrives and departs is may only be 30-40 minutes.
Those 30-minute times I posted for YYC<>IAH are bumping right up against the arrival time of the inbound.

And, in fact, now that I think about it, I did YYG-YHZ on a BEH last year. The printed boarding time was earlier than the scheduled arrival time of the inbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.