Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Miles on upgrade fare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Earn Miles on upgrade fare

Recently I was on lufthansa flight from del-fra, fra-sea. I was able to upgrade my permium economy seat to business using aeroplan (tried using 30k Aegean miles and bonus miles that I had and it wouldn't even show me availability on Aegean website).

Anyway , will Aeroplan let me upgrade both flights. My question is, will I still earn points as my purchased fare class?

(Tried searching but couldn't find definite answer)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by hotpopcorn
Recently I was on lufthansa flight from del-fra, fra-sea. I was able to upgrade my permium economy seat to business using aeroplan (tried using 30k Aegean miles and bonus miles that I had and it wouldn't even show me availability on Aegean website).

Anyway , will Aeroplan let me upgrade both flights. My question is, will I still earn points as my purchased fare class?

(Tried searching but couldn't find definite answer)
Yes, you are supposed to earn miles based on the original booking class. In reality, because the star alliance upgrade on LH puts you into the business reward I class, you will be fighting tooth and nail to get them credited. I am speaking from experience. My success rate is 50%. If AE doesn't budge, just credit to another program.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Oh here's a good one.

My friend was booked in D class on LH, and used Aeroplan to SAUA to F (O). He did not have his Aeroplan number anywhere on the booking, and definitely not on the BPs (his status did not show up).

The LH legs credited to Aeroplan. The United legs did not. He did not want the LH legs to credit to Aeroplan. He hasn't called to deal with it yet, but I'm expecting a fight.

So I'm wondering if they've tried to fix the crediting issue somehow, in an annoying manner.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
What's an "upgrade fare"?

Is "upgrade" a verb or noun here?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
What's an "upgrade fare"?

Is "upgrade" a verb or noun here?
I assume, in this context, it means the fare you're rebooked into after using a SAUA.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I assume, in this context, it means the fare you're rebooked into after using a SAUA.
Thanks for objectively clarifying.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

so Asiana told me that Star alliance system wont let them credit miles to my account for upgraded flight
and my request was rejected.

im having no luck with Aeroplan also.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:35 pm

Never had problems with points posting in the original booked class in the past with SAUA. Have some ANA flights upgraded to F coming up... will see what happens. Just as an aside, my SQ flights posted before AC!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.