Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

VDB, IDB and Compensation - Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
This wiki thread is devoted to the topic of what to do when Denied Boarding, the Compensation provided, and general experiences of those who were Denied Boarding.

If applicable, please post your Denied Boarding experiences as per the below list:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31305207-post171.html
Originally Posted by yyznomad

For those IDB'd/VDB'd, please post in this thread:
  1. Date of IDB/VDB
  2. IDB or VDB
  3. Compensation dollar amount
  4. Cash (cheque) or eMCO
  5. Flight # you were DB'd from
  6. Flight # you were placed on after being DB'd (also indicate if next day)
  7. Were hotel vouchers provided?
  8. Were food vouchers provided?
  9. Other

Recent Example Denied Boarding Compensation form/card/"receipt":

Restrictions:
1. Can only be used over the phone
2. Only applies to base fares (not YQ, not taxes/fees)
3. Can be used to book a ticket in anyone's name
4. Can be used multiple times
5. Expiry date of 2 years (even though it says 1), but you can call to get it reactivated after that

Required amounts as dictated by the Government of Canada:
Less than 6 hours: $900
6-9 hours: $1800
9+ hours: $2400

From Air Canada Customer Service FAQ
​​​​​

Does Air Canada overbook its flights?

Just the facts:

Yes, we do.

Behind the facts:

Airline passengers place a high value on refundable tickets (in case they can't make their flight, don't show up or decide to change travel plans). In these cases, overbooking is a means (certainly not perfect but, on the whole, pretty viable) that lets us offer refundable tickets without losing a lot of money.

In the rare circumstances (and it is rare) where you can't get on a flight due to overbooking, we offer compensation (in the form of a travel voucher or cash) and we make alternate arrangements to get you to your destination as quickly as possible.

Air Canada - General Conditions of Carriage

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-tariffs.html

OVERBOOKING NOTICE

Airline flights may be overbooked, and there is a slight chance that a seat will not be available on a flight for which a person has a confirmed reservation. If the flight is overbooked, no one will be denied a seat until airline personnel first ask for volunteers willing to give up their reservation in exchange for a payment of the airline's choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, the airline will deny boarding to other persons in accordance with its particular boarding priority. With few exceptions, persons denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to compensation. The complete rules for the payment of compensation and boarding priorities are available at all airport ticket counters and boarding locations.

Also included here are

UK Alternative Dispute Resolution – for UK departing flights only

and

China departing flights only

Print Wikipost

VDB, IDB and Compensation - Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:41 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by C-FMWQ
Another data point:

YYZ-ORD AC7509 (0640 departure) On July 8th. They were looking for 3 volunteers for $800 to take the same flight the next day so I went up and put my name in. After the flight had left they upped the offer to $1000 without any prodding. The offer included a hotel, taxi and food so it worked out nicely for me. I was on standby for AC7611 (12:55 departure) and it left with 2 open seats and me #1 on the list but there was a very rude lady who was bumped off AC503 (08:25 departure) who was saying some not nice things when they mentioned they might have to push the flight without her. I ended up letting the lady go and took the flight the next morning since I had a few meetings. The other seat that went empty was originally for a SE that was going to get downgraded from J for a deadheading captain that was to fly ORD-YYZ the next day (0600 departure) but the pilot heard what was going on and called crew scheduling to take a different flight in the afternoon that had J space.

Nehal
wow you were nice and the pilot was nice. but i'm really confused

1) so once your volunteering was accepted and the door was closed, the agent said "oh ok you get $1000"? or you asked for more and the agent said sure? was this cash or an etc?

2) you didn't try standing by on the 0825? guess it was sorta pointless but you didn't try?

3) ua was not an option?

4a) why didn't the pilot just take y? it's a 90 minute flight.

4b) so the 1255 left with 1 y seat open and they were fine with you going tomorrow? or you were #1 on the list, behind you was the se, the pilot, and the ornery lady, and you and the pilot yielded?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by cur
wow you were nice and the pilot was nice. but i'm really confused

1) so once your volunteering was accepted and the door was closed, the agent said "oh ok you get $1000"? or you asked for more and the agent said sure? was this cash or an etc?
Pretty much. The gate agent was quite proactive and had us write our name, email, phone number and mailing address down for the customer service agents (the CS agents even noted that the gate agent was awesome for doing this) and then told us that she talked to her manager and authorized $1000 cash instead of the initial $800.

Originally Posted by cur
2) you didn't try standing by on the 0825? guess it was sorta pointless but you didn't try?
I did standby for the 0825 (AC503) flight but they waited for everyone to come through customs and delayed the flight instead of clearing the standby list. I tried standing by for the 1010 (AC7527) flight but the customer service line was so long by the time I made it the next flight was the 1255 (AC7611) flight .

Originally Posted by cur
3) ua was not an option?
I looked at BCD availability and UA was sold out all day as well. The agent said the same so I'm guessing they weren't lying here.

Originally Posted by cur
4a) why didn't the pilot just take y? it's a 90 minute flight.
I know contractually they are entitled to J so I'm assuming crew scheduling sorted something out for him (i.e. taking a later flight with confirmed J space).

Originally Posted by cur
4b) so the 1255 left with 1 y seat open and they were fine with you going tomorrow? or you were #1 on the list, behind you was the se, the pilot, and the ornery lady, and you and the pilot yielded?
There were 4 people on the list, 4 open seats and I was #1 (as per the app). The pilot had already been offloaded at this point. There was a bit of shuffling initially because the pilot was to bump a SE out of J and as a result they were going to give the SE 2 seats in Y. The pilot heard this was happening and told the gate agent he would talk to crew scheduling to take a later flight. This meant that they had 4 seats open but required some offloading work because they had already blocked off the seat for the SE and put the pilot onboard. After that was sorted out (the flight was 15 minutes delayed at this point) I think the gate agent was clearing out of order because she knew there were open seats and we should all be able to get on but for some reason the ornery lady was not on the gate agents list of people to onboard. Eventually she told the lady to board and sit in a specific seat and said she would sort it out after the flight pushed (now ~20 minutes late). I was next in line and from the gate agent's face I pretty much told her its ok to push the flight since I had a confirmed seat tomorrow anyways -- she thanked me and let me out to customs.
cur and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Pretty much. The gate agent was quite proactive and had us write our name, email, phone number and mailing address down for the customer service agents (the CS agents even noted that the gate agent was awesome for doing this) and then told us that she talked to her manager and authorized $1000 cash instead of the initial $800.
So just to be clear, can you confirm that you received a Denied Boarding Compensation receipt aka "NOTICE OF DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION"?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So just to be clear, can you confirm that you received a Denied Boarding Compensation receipt aka "NOTICE OF DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION"?
Yes, I got a card that had NOTICE OF DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION along with the amount and date, similar to the one in the wiki above.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yes, I got a card that had NOTICE OF DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION along with the amount and date, similar to the one in the wiki above.
Glad all that worked out for you. ^
C-FMWQ likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please post your VDB/IDB compensation - Phase 1 starts today: PBOR Phase 1

From the PBOR master thread:

AC Comments on Proposed Transportation Modernization Act (Passenger Bill of Rights)

Originally Posted by https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/passenger-bill-of-rights-new-rules-for-air-travel-start-today-1.4507515
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/passen...oday-1.4507515
The first phase of the so-called passenger bill of rights goes into force Monday. It requires airlines to provide compensation of up to $2,400 to passengers who are bumped from flights for reasons within the airline's control.
For those IDB'd/VDB'd, please post in this thread:
  1. Date of IDB/VDB
  2. IDB or VDB
  3. Compensation dollar amount
  4. Cash (cheque) or eMCO
  5. Flight # you were DB'd from
  6. Flight # you were placed on after being DB'd (also indicate if next day)
  7. Were hotel vouchers provided?
  8. Were food vouchers provided?
  9. Other
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
4 AC flights over the next 48 hours. One is looking good at the moment. Hopefully I will be reporting back soon with new VDB amounts
Auto Enthusiast and asovse1 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
4 AC flights over the next 48 hours. One is looking good at the moment. Hopefully I will be reporting back soon with new VDB amounts
@pmarrsouth

Looking forward to your DB report(s).
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What are the new amounts for denied boarding? YYZ-SFO looks pretty bad this Sunday. Or good, depending on perspective.

Edit:

Overbooking delays of less than six hours will require a minimum $900 payment, delays between six and nine hours mean a minimum $1,800 payment and delays longer than nine hours will see passengers compensated a minimum of $2,400.
(and added to wiki)
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:29 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What are the new amounts for denied boarding? YYZ-SFO looks pretty bad this Sunday. Or good, depending on perspective.
Are you considering positioning to YYZ to try this out on the way back?

Make sure you give us a trip report.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Are you considering positioning to YYZ to try this out on the way back?

Make sure you give us a trip report.
LOL no I have a flight booked already. Mine is definitely a very likely VDB candidate, however, I had intended to SDC to a later one. So now the question is whether I want to make the earlier trek to the airport on the off chance of getting some money
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:44 pm

Good luck either way!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:54 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
annnnnd as almost always, flights that show a lot of 0s end up flying with empty seats after all the non-revs are accommodated
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Heard from a friend, last night from YUL to YWG. Issued a "Notice of Denied Boarding Compensation" for $2,400 (x2 per pax). Re-booked next day (in business), with hotels and meals provided for.
canadiancow, OSSYULYYZ and asovse1 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by eugeneo1
Heard from a friend, last night from YUL to YWG. Issued a "Notice of Denied Boarding Compensation" for $2,400 (x2 per pax). Re-booked next day (in business), with hotels and meals provided for.
Did they share the circumstances of the denied boarding? Just curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.