Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

VDB, IDB and Compensation - Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
This wiki thread is devoted to the topic of what to do when Denied Boarding, the Compensation provided, and general experiences of those who were Denied Boarding.

If applicable, please post your Denied Boarding experiences as per the below list:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31305207-post171.html
Originally Posted by yyznomad

For those IDB'd/VDB'd, please post in this thread:
  1. Date of IDB/VDB
  2. IDB or VDB
  3. Compensation dollar amount
  4. Cash (cheque) or eMCO
  5. Flight # you were DB'd from
  6. Flight # you were placed on after being DB'd (also indicate if next day)
  7. Were hotel vouchers provided?
  8. Were food vouchers provided?
  9. Other

Recent Example Denied Boarding Compensation form/card/"receipt":

Restrictions:
1. Can only be used over the phone
2. Only applies to base fares (not YQ, not taxes/fees)
3. Can be used to book a ticket in anyone's name
4. Can be used multiple times
5. Expiry date of 2 years (even though it says 1), but you can call to get it reactivated after that

Required amounts as dictated by the Government of Canada:
Less than 6 hours: $900
6-9 hours: $1800
9+ hours: $2400

From Air Canada Customer Service FAQ
​​​​​

Does Air Canada overbook its flights?

Just the facts:

Yes, we do.

Behind the facts:

Airline passengers place a high value on refundable tickets (in case they can't make their flight, don't show up or decide to change travel plans). In these cases, overbooking is a means (certainly not perfect but, on the whole, pretty viable) that lets us offer refundable tickets without losing a lot of money.

In the rare circumstances (and it is rare) where you can't get on a flight due to overbooking, we offer compensation (in the form of a travel voucher or cash) and we make alternate arrangements to get you to your destination as quickly as possible.

Air Canada - General Conditions of Carriage

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-tariffs.html

OVERBOOKING NOTICE

Airline flights may be overbooked, and there is a slight chance that a seat will not be available on a flight for which a person has a confirmed reservation. If the flight is overbooked, no one will be denied a seat until airline personnel first ask for volunteers willing to give up their reservation in exchange for a payment of the airline's choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, the airline will deny boarding to other persons in accordance with its particular boarding priority. With few exceptions, persons denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to compensation. The complete rules for the payment of compensation and boarding priorities are available at all airport ticket counters and boarding locations.

Also included here are

UK Alternative Dispute Resolution – for UK departing flights only

and

China departing flights only

Print Wikipost

VDB, IDB and Compensation - Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: FOTSG
Hi everyone, adding my data point to the thread:

Date of flight: April 25th.
Flight/route: YYZ-YUL, originally on AC404 but ended up on 414.
Type: Voluntary, it seems like every flight was oversold that day (standby list was over 40 names long IIRC).
Compensation paid: the $400 cheque is supposedly in the mail, and $20 meal vouchers.

A pleasant experience, all things considered.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: hahaha
As someone who spends most of their time at the lounge until T-25, should I try to be at the gate earlier to get in on some VDBs? The best way to figure out if there's a chance of this happening would be to see if the flight was 0'd out on ExpertFlyer, right?

For IDB, I'm assuming that if my various flights were actually oversold, by the time I attempt to board at T-25, I'd know by getting IDB'd, right?

I understand that VDB/IDB isn't something you can game, but I just wanna see if I can get some chances!

Also, bonus question, I know that AC books you into random airport hotels when you get VDB/IDB, but for those that have been booked into Marriott hotels, do you get qualifying nights?
Old May 3, 2019, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Generally you want to make yourself known to the GA before boarding begins. You can ask the lounge agent if it's overbooked. If they say yes, head to the gate. Tell the GA you're available as a volunteer if necessary. They'll usually tell you to wait until the end unless they're way over or want to get it sorted out quickly. But it's first come first served, so if 5 people got there before you, it's unlikely they'll take you, unless you have other desirable traits (no checked bag, etc.)

J0 O0 Y0 on EF generally means it's overbooked, but the MLL agent or GA can all tell you what's really going on. Sometimes it can look over by 30 at T-70, but 40 people misconnect, so it's tough to judge prior to flight close and PDM handling offloads, standby, etc.
asovse1 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
AC149 YYZ-YYC on April 30.

Got to the gate approx 10 mins before boarding started. Gate Agent announced they are looking for 6 volunteers for VDB. Compensation offered was $800 + hotel + meal vouchers. My partner and I (both SE) were 3rd and 4th to volunteer. Agent wrote "Vol #3 " and "Vol #4 " on our BPs. I asked her to not give away our seats until she know for sure we weren't getting on the plane. She then looked at our BPs more closely and said "Oh! You're in Business!". I said yes, but added in a friendly way that we'd been traveling all day and would welcome a hotel room, so we didn't mind staying in Toronto for the night. (The BPs were printed on LH stock in Munich, so I assume she realized we were connecting from a TATL.) We then moved aside to let her process the other volunteers.

After all zones had boarded, the agent pages us and gives us our BPs back, saying "we're going to let you go ahead and board as it looks like we don't need your seats". So we board. Then we watch as 6 standby pax board the plane, all heading to seats in Y.

Given that we were #3 and #4 to volunteer, I was surprised that we did not get the VDB because I have always assumed that VDBs were processed in order of volunteer. Do they instead process VDB's by status and/or cabin class? (It didn't really matter whether we got the VDB or not, but I confess we had both started to really look forward to hitting the sack early in that hotel room... )
Old May 3, 2019, 4:11 pm

It's also possible that a bunch of people didn't show up.

I wish they'd give SEs priority for VDB though
Old May 3, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
True, but the agent did say they needed 6, and 6 did board, so I assume that was them.

I think the most likely explanation is that the agent wanted to be nice to a couple of SE's by not DB'ing them unless she had to.

(and agreed, priority would be nice )
Old May 3, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's also possible that a bunch of people didn't show up.

I wish they'd give SEs priority for VDB though
Maybe they do.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:40 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by devbru86
Hey everyone,

Just looking for some info about compensation after being bumped from my flight.. seems like there are lots of rule changes etc happening.

I was involuntarily denied boarding in mexico and had to spend an extra two nights there.. missed a day of work and was 36 hours late home.

Air Canada just send me a $800 ECoupon.. am I entitled to cash compensation instead? And I was thinking the compensation would be more then $800 since I was back so late.

Appreciate any info!
hey welcome to flyertalk.

there are a lot of gaps in info here. this thread is also useful for its data points such as origin-destination, date, idb or vdb, what was paid, what was offered, although it all seems to be $800 these days.

were you denied at the gate? on the plane? did you hear them seeking volunteers?

when did you check in? presumably at the airport and they gave you seat:SBY? you checked in on time correct?

anyways i read the dumb tariff wrong and looks like you were compensated according to the dumb rules ac writes for itself:
"For flights from international destinations (excluding Costa Rica) to Canada, unless local
legislation applies:
Over 4 hours: Cash: $400 CAD, Voucher: $800 CAD"

did you agree to an etc or cash? i guess if you write in to customer relations they can switch that to cash.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-tariffs.html > international > rule 90 > section E > flights departing from areas other than costa rica

Last edited by cur; May 5, 2019 at 12:16 am Reason: read the wrong chart in the tariff
Old May 7, 2019, 2:19 pm

Any data points for VDB/IDB on flight passes or unlimited flight passes? Would be interested to know how that works...
Old May 7, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by asovse1
Any data points for VDB/IDB on flight passes or unlimited flight passes? Would be interested to know how that works...
It works exactly the same for a flight not booked on any type of FP.
canadiancow and asovse1 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:08 am

Did a VDB yesterday evening on AC 173 (20:30 departure in Y/BE). When sent to go to the customer service desk, they assigned me a BP for AC 161 at 06:30+1 departure, and a receipt for the $800 compensation.

While we were wrapping things up for hotel + AC 161 departure (it's 21:20 now), the customer service rep asked me if I was willing to run down to D45 and catch AC 175 on standby (21:50 departure for total delay of 80 minutes). I asked if I would still get the $800 and they said yes. I accepted and ran to the gate and hopped into a middle seat in Y.

Though I felt AC kinda rushed things compensation-wise to try and make AC 175, I was issued a standby BP for the flight and also was told to keep the BP for AC 161 and the compensation confirmation if requested later.

What I want to know is, what if they screw this up?

I want to make it clear that although I would be thrilled if they honoured the full $800 like they said, I get that I’m owed (what, $200?) since my total delay was 80 minutes for VDB, not the 8 hours as previously thought. Is there any way to confirm that I'm getting anything at all? Since the standbying was so rushed (the gate was closing as I got there) I’m clueless if customer service had time to wrap up loose ends on my compensation since I got issued a $800 credit for a morning BP I won’t use

I also didn’t sign anything with a pen which i saw other VDBs doing. (Oh well)

Otherwise a rambling and wishful post, I’ll put some more DPs here:

* Checked in T-22h but reprinted boarding pass T-4h so that I could physically volunteer my boarding pass before anybody else to GA (good way to be #1 in line IMO)
* Asked AC over the phone whether 173 was oversold and they said yes (3h before departure)
* The flight was upgauged (763) last week when my ACr flight (same route but 1h later) was cancelled and consolidated to this one (this route is regularly 7M8 or 320)
* ExpertFlyer all week was showing Y>0 B>0 up until departures
* Got to gate about 1 hour before departure and successfully volunteered for VDB
* They eventually needed 10 more volunteers but a lot of people really wanted the $800 so the lineup was long and I’m glad I was on there as #1
* D gates customer service took about 40-50 minutes in line, it was awful. I asked later if it was possible to go to landside customer service and handle VDB compensation and they wouldn’t recommend it. Had I not ran after getting offloaded at the gate, I would have been one of the last of the YEG-bound people to get VDB compensation and miss AC 175 as a result
* got an icon on my standby BP with a fork and spoon, found out it was a Bistro voucher with meal and snack. 10pm departure though so there were slim pickings
* Asked if I could choose the hotel knowing that others on this thread usually don’t have success. They said they could try and relay my preference over the radio/phone to the person rebooking, but when I mentioned if the Sheraton was okay, they said from personal experience, the hotel prefers to sell their own rooms rather than for VDB lol
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:27 am

If you have the receipt, the $800 has been logged in the system, and you will get it.

I have never signed anything for an AC VDB, and I've done 3 or 4 of them.

I've asked for the Sheraton before, and the radio calls involved statements like "he's Super Elite", and it still didn't happen, so that doesn't surprise me much. They need a lot of open rooms before AC will give it away for free.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@asovse1

Did you see the wiki for this thread?

As per @canadiancow if you got the below, then you will get the cheque in the mail.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
In light of DB references, here's a sample of a Denied Boarding Compensation form/card/"receipt":

This is for both VDB and IDB.
canadiancow and asovse1 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

July 15, 2019 - Passenger Bill of Rights - parts in effect

Regarding the other speculation thread of QK canceling flights possibly due to the incoming BOR, I thought it would be interesting to lay out the V/IDB compensation "requirements".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pas...ails-1.5147589

Originally Posted by https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/passenger-bill-of-rights-details-1.5147589
Overbooking

Starting July 15, passengers who are prevented from boarding an aircraft because of overbooking will be compensated financially depending on the length of time they are delayed from reaching their final destination.

Overbooking delays of less than six hours will require a minimum $900 payment, delays between six and nine hours mean a minimum $1,800 payment and delays longer than nine hours will see passengers compensated a minimum of $2,400.
Can someone try to VDB on July 15, 2019 and let us know how much they get paid, if successful?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AC E50K
Another data point:

YYZ-ORD AC7509 (0640 departure) On July 8th. They were looking for 3 volunteers for $800 to take the same flight the next day so I went up and put my name in. After the flight had left they upped the offer to $1000 without any prodding. The offer included a hotel, taxi and food so it worked out nicely for me. I was on standby for AC7611 (12:55 departure) and it left with 2 open seats and me #1 on the list but there was a very rude lady who was bumped off AC503 (08:25 departure) who was saying some not nice things when they mentioned they might have to push the flight without her. I ended up letting the lady go and took the flight the next morning since I had a few meetings. The other seat that went empty was originally for a SE that was going to get downgraded from J for a deadheading captain that was to fly ORD-YYZ the next day (0600 departure) but the pilot heard what was going on and called crew scheduling to take a different flight in the afternoon that had J space.

Nehal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.