Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

VDB, IDB and Compensation - Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
This wiki thread is devoted to the topic of what to do when Denied Boarding, the Compensation provided, and general experiences of those who were Denied Boarding.

If applicable, please post your Denied Boarding experiences as per the below list:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31305207-post171.html
Originally Posted by yyznomad

For those IDB'd/VDB'd, please post in this thread:
  1. Date of IDB/VDB
  2. IDB or VDB
  3. Compensation dollar amount
  4. Cash (cheque) or eMCO
  5. Flight # you were DB'd from
  6. Flight # you were placed on after being DB'd (also indicate if next day)
  7. Were hotel vouchers provided?
  8. Were food vouchers provided?
  9. Other

Recent Example Denied Boarding Compensation form/card/"receipt":

Restrictions:
1. Can only be used over the phone
2. Only applies to base fares (not YQ, not taxes/fees)
3. Can be used to book a ticket in anyone's name
4. Can be used multiple times
5. Expiry date of 2 years (even though it says 1), but you can call to get it reactivated after that

Required amounts as dictated by the Government of Canada:
Less than 6 hours: $900
6-9 hours: $1800
9+ hours: $2400

From Air Canada Customer Service FAQ
​​​​​

Does Air Canada overbook its flights?

Just the facts:

Yes, we do.

Behind the facts:

Airline passengers place a high value on refundable tickets (in case they can't make their flight, don't show up or decide to change travel plans). In these cases, overbooking is a means (certainly not perfect but, on the whole, pretty viable) that lets us offer refundable tickets without losing a lot of money.

In the rare circumstances (and it is rare) where you can't get on a flight due to overbooking, we offer compensation (in the form of a travel voucher or cash) and we make alternate arrangements to get you to your destination as quickly as possible.

Air Canada - General Conditions of Carriage

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-tariffs.html

OVERBOOKING NOTICE

Airline flights may be overbooked, and there is a slight chance that a seat will not be available on a flight for which a person has a confirmed reservation. If the flight is overbooked, no one will be denied a seat until airline personnel first ask for volunteers willing to give up their reservation in exchange for a payment of the airline's choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, the airline will deny boarding to other persons in accordance with its particular boarding priority. With few exceptions, persons denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to compensation. The complete rules for the payment of compensation and boarding priorities are available at all airport ticket counters and boarding locations.

Also included here are

UK Alternative Dispute Resolution – for UK departing flights only

and

China departing flights only

Print Wikipost

VDB, IDB and Compensation - Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC E50K, FPC Platinum
Vdb yul-yyt

Flying YUL to YYT on March 26, overheard them talking to someone at the counter saying they were oversold by 4 and offering her compensation if she wanted to take a later flight.

I was coming back from vacation and had time so went up to see what they were offering. $800 cash to get you in later the same day, but possibly not until the next morning. Was told $800 is the max no matter how long the delay. They removed me and the friend I was travelling with and made us wait to see if anyone didn’t make a connection.

On my my boarding pass they wrote “DBC VOL 800- later today or tomorrow w/ hotel”

Customer service was very helpful. Rebooked is YUL-YYZ-YYT. It was Y fare (originally booked standard) so more points and gave us $20 in meal vouchers. Also gave us a receipt to confirm compensation amount

Got in 6 hours later
Luggage continued on the original flight so no waiting.

Compensation cheque arrived one 7 days later (and hasn’t bounced)
canadiancow, bubbelbine and 5mm like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Altitude 50K
Received 800$ compensation(electronic Travel voucher) for an overbooked flight YQM-YUL.

Would anyone know if I can combine it to a promo code and an ecoupon?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ekc8946
Received 800$ compensation(electronic Travel voucher) for an overbooked flight YQM-YUL.

Would anyone know if I can combine it to a promo code and an ecoupon?
Yes, you can combine it with a promo code. You input the promo code when you run your search on AC.com then you input your travel voucher on the payment page.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:05 am

Yes that Im ok with.
Its the Electronic travel voucher that confuses me. Ive called AC and the agent didn't seem to know either if I could combine the ecoupon and the the voucher.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by ekc8946
Yes that Im ok with.
Its the Electronic travel voucher that confuses me. Ive called AC and the agent didn't seem to know either if I could combine the ecoupon and the the voucher.
Does your E-Voucher have a PIN code? If yes, I would think it’s just the same as using two eCoupons together, provided they cover the entire ticket cost.

If your E-Voucher doesn’t have a PIN code, then I don’t even think you can use it online. You would need to call in, but then you can’t use the eCoupon if its T&C says online only.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by YYT82

Does your E-Voucher have a PIN code? If yes, I would think it’s just the same as using two eCoupons together, provided they cover the entire ticket cost.

If your E-Voucher doesn’t have a PIN code, then I don’t even think you can use it online. You would need to call in, but then you can’t use the eCoupon if its T&C says online only.
I have used the eCoupon code over the phone when payment kept on failing online. Its definitely possible and I would guess that for this instance (of using a voucher that you cannot use online) would net the same results if explained nicely. Might have to HUCA, so start out by saying you have both a voucher and coupon code
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
To follow-up on my earlier post, I did a VDB last Monday and I got the $800 cheque in the mail today (exactly 1 week later) - not bad!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
March 25 I was offered and accepted a $200 travel voucher at check in counter to take the next YYJ-YVR flight (half an hour later). No ecoupon so I had to phone in to use it. Does this count as a VDB since it was at check-in?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yes, it does.
marke190 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
I have used the eCoupon code over the phone when payment kept on failing online. Its definitely possible and I would guess that for this instance (of using a voucher that you cannot use online) would net the same results if explained nicely. Might have to HUCA, so start out by saying you have both a voucher and coupon code
Thanks@pmarrsouth!! I will surely give it a try!

Last edited by ekc8946; Apr 9, 2019 at 4:53 am Reason: grammar
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by marke190
March 25 I was offered and accepted a $200 travel voucher at check in counter to take the next YYJ-YVR flight (half an hour later). No ecoupon so I had to phone in to use it. Does this count as a VDB since it was at check-in?
Did/were they also offer/ing a cash amount?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Did/were they also offer/ing a cash amount?
I asked twice about a cheque but they insisted that they could only offer a travel voucher and that the $200 amount was non-negotiable.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:41 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
flying thursday before good friday long weekend on the last yul-yyc flight of the day. as i was boarding asked if they needed volunteers, she said yes, $800, i said "that better be cash" and she said yes check mailed to you. accepted. looks like they had around 8 other volunteers on this flight.

edit: just to clarify, i went to the csa counter to get my meal chits (2x $15 valid 365 days), hotel room (sheraton yul) with $10 for lunch $15 dinner, etc. and i got the boarding pass printout stating i'm entitled 800cad check mailed to me from customer relations.

edit 2: check received 8 calendar days (5 working days) after the oversell. ^
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by cur; Apr 28, 2019 at 5:56 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 5:01 pm

Hey everyone,

Just looking for some info about compensation after being bumped from my flight.. seems like there are lots of rule changes etc happening.

I was involuntarily denied boarding in mexico and had to spend an extra two nights there.. missed a day of work and was 36 hours late home.

Air Canada just send me a $800 ECoupon.. am I entitled to cash compensation instead? And I was thinking the compensation would be more then $800 since I was back so late.

Appreciate any info!
Old May 1, 2019, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
By the rules, I think the most you can hope for is getting cash. You can push for more, but I doubt you'd get it without going to court (though if you complied with all check-in/boarding deadlines, I would hope a court would be reasonable about a 36 hour delay).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.