Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I was just called by Aeroplan Fraud Protections Department

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I was just called by Aeroplan Fraud Protections Department

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
This office is based in Montreal, a small team of staff that monitors accounts for suspicious transactions. They called me a few months ago about a CM PTY-MAR redemption and I had no problem at all with their diligence. ^

I am 99% sure they will be closed Good Friday.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:54 am

I hope AE is equally proactive in adjusting their password requirements. 6-10 characters with no special characters allowed? That's on them for dropping the ball.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA PREMIER GOLD, AC*E25K, Best Western Diamond, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Aimia "compliance" called me 60 hours after I had reported fraudulent access to my account and fraudulent use of my aeroplan points. The agent wanted to reassure me that my points had been returned to my account, and wanted confirmation from me that I had changed my log-in details. She called from a 514 area code.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by YYT82
Tomorrow is a stat holiday, I doubt AE fraud department is working tomorrow.
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
This office is based in Montreal, a small team of staff that monitors accounts for suspicious transactions. They called me a few months ago about a CM PTY-MAR redemption and I had no problem at all with their diligence. ^

I am 99% sure they will be closed Good Friday.
That's because fraud doesn't happen on holidays... and nobody books same day or T-24h flights; that's just silliness...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
So I called them back today and the woman said that my account was compromised. She said 3 different names (2 Hispanic and one African sounding) that tried to redeem best Western hotels and a flight from North Dakota to Johannesburg.

My profile was changed and to an address on Mount
Pleasant in Toronto with the phone number too. I asked what Aeroplan is doing about this and she said they are always looking at atypical behaviour. I asked if I should call the police she said I could but said it could have been comprised over WiFi.

All the points were put back in my account. However, it makes me feel violated and weird. Shouldn't Aeroplan be the one calling the authorities? Makes me wonder if the yahoo hack had a role in this too?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Weird thing I noticed when told I could login again to change my password is that Aeroplan says your password should be MAXIMUM 10 characters with no special characters.....weird
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
I asked what Aeroplan is doing about this and she said they are always looking at atypical behaviour. I asked if I should call the police she said I could but said it could have been comprised over WiFi.
I've gone through this with Visa a few times. They call out of the blue and say my card has been compromised and they're shutting it down. They refuse to say how they know, or where/how it happened. When I tell them I want to report it to the police they blow me off: "We already have the police involved". It's maddening.

I think what's really happening is that AE, Visa, and their ilk don't want this kind of thing to be in the public eye, so they try to keep it under wraps and low key.

I doubt the cops would do anything because I doubt AE or Visa would cooperate with them to allow any sort of meaningful investigation, for the same reason.

BTW, sometimes Visa shuts the card down without telling you, which is really convenient when you're a thousand miles from home .
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I've had that with Visa, and I'm glad I now carry a 2nd card. I never saw the need! Visa notified me by postal mail to my home, which is not helpful 1,000 miles from home.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
The police have much bigger fish to fry... I, for one, do not want my tax dollars spent chasing down your points.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I've had that with Visa, and I'm glad I now carry a 2nd card. I never saw the need! Visa notified me by postal mail to my home, which is not helpful 1,000 miles from home.
I would think it would be your bank, not visa itself. And that different banks have different policies.

I once got a call from TD about my TD visa while overseas, may have been in Saint Petersburg. Was from a 1-800 number. I normally don't pick these up if away but somehow I did and there was an issue, or at least as I seem to recall they had an issue with some charges that were actually legitimate. Would I not have picked up the call, they likely would have blocked my card.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
The police have much bigger fish to fry... I, for one, do not want my tax dollars spent chasing down your points.
Fair enough, until it happens to you. The point is that these are not one-off events. They are usually of much broader scale, and therefore should be investigated as crimes, not just defended and swept under the rug by AE because they don't want the bad PR, or want the public to know how porous their IT security really is.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
I would think it would be your bank, not visa itself. And that different banks have different policies.

I once got a call from TD about my TD visa while overseas, may have been in Saint Petersburg. Was from a 1-800 number. I normally don't pick these up if away but somehow I did and there was an issue, or at least as I seem to recall they had an issue with some charges that were actually legitimate. Would I not have picked up the call, they likely would have blocked my card.
I think you're right - it's the bank's card fraud people. There's a flag in my file to call my branch and they will email me. The problem is they ignore that and continue to call the fictitious 555-1234 and then complain nobody answered. They were on the ball with fixing things, and the card continued to work when I inserted and input the PIN, just not for tap, so it was confusing until I got home to receive the mail!
I don't know how Aeroplan would handle it in my case. They have my email, obviously, to spam me, but I'll bet if there was fraud, they would try to phone my text line.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Agreed! +1 This is such a minor crime that there is little to no use at spending the time to investigate it.

Originally Posted by Sopwith
Fair enough, until it happens to you. The point is that these are not one-off events. They are usually of much broader scale, and therefore should be investigated as crimes, not just defended and swept under the rug by AE because they don't want the bad PR, or want the public to know how porous their IT security really is.
Are you willing to take the tax hit to have police wasting their time investigating such crimes? The average cost to investigate each one of these incidents is in excess of $10k. If every one of these cases were to be investigated, the number of people needed to investigate these would probably have to quadruple or more - never mind the fact that there just are not enough people available at the moment with the appropriate level knowledge and skills to perform such activities.

People just need to spend a little more time to educate themselves on how to use safer on-line practices - and these practices do not require anyone to be even remotely close to being an IT and security expert.

Last edited by jaysona; Apr 24, 2017 at 5:04 pm Reason: One too many zeroes.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jaysona
Agreed! +1 This is such a minor crime that there is little to no use at spending the time to investigate it.
Help lower your community's taxes: let your local police detachment know that any possible future complaints from you regarding theft or fraud of the equivalent dollar amount have already been deemed by yourself as "minor crimes" and therefore "little to no use spending the time to investigate it". Tell 'em in advance not to bother.

My point is: the shoe is always on the other foot when it happens to you.

Are you willing to take the tax hit to have police wasting their time investigating such crimes? The average cost to investigate each one of these incidents is in excess of $100k.
Who told you that? They're having you on.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Apr 18, 2017 at 5:35 pm
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:17 pm

Are you willing to take the tax hit to have police wasting their time investigating such crimes? The average cost to investigate each one of these incidents is in excess of $100k.

People just need to spend a little more time to educate themselves on how to use safer on-line practices.
In two of the cases I'm referring to my card was double-swiped while it was out of my sight - once at a gas station and once at a restaurant. Because of the timing stated by Visa I was pretty sure about where it happened and who did it both times. The cops or Visa could have easily investigated but weren't interested.

So your solution is to do nothing and just let them have at it? That's why it's out of control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.