IDB by country

Old Apr 11, 17, 3:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
IDB by country

Are the IDB rules for Air Canada the same across the world?

Is the compensation for IDB for a passenger flying AC when departing the US different than if they depart from the EU? Canada?
Old Apr 11, 17, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin View Post
Are the IDB rules for Air Canada the same across the world?

Is the compensation for IDB for a passenger flying AC when departing the US different than if they depart from the EU? Canada?
IDB compensation varies depending on the point of departure. Within the EU, EC261/2004 applies; in the US, the US IDB law applies; and in Canada, the Canadian rules apply.
Old Apr 11, 17, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Also Japan IDB is LOWER than in Canada, 30000Yen (Like $300 USD) But I have been offered $500 and refused and they eventually gave me a seat.

It's in the conditions of carriage https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._Tariff_en.pdf

Hey when did AC finally make it a searchable and legible PDF instead of a terrible scan of a dot matrix printout?
Old Apr 11, 17, 6:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
On Page 95 of the document provided:

DELAY AT ARRIVAL AT POINT OF DESTINATION CAUSED BY INVOLUNTARY DENIED BOARDING

To claim an IDB, one has to wait until getting to the destination is how I'm interpreting this. This isn't in line with my experience.
Old Apr 11, 17, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin View Post
On Page 95 of the document provided:

DELAY AT ARRIVAL AT POINT OF DESTINATION CAUSED BY INVOLUNTARY DENIED BOARDING

To claim an IDB, one has to wait until getting to the destination is how I'm interpreting this. This isn't in line with my experience.
AC typically offers IDB compensation based on the flight in question, not the entire itinerary. This is actually a simpler approach than to give out compensation only after arrival in final destination. Imagine a gate agent asking for volunteers but saying "the compensation is undetermined until you take your final flight, meanwhile we want you off this flight".
Old Sep 11, 17, 4:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DL PM (MM)
Hopefully this is the right spot - (AC Rouge if that matters)

Friend (party of 3) flying from the EU to the US with a connection in Canada.

They departed out of the EU just under an hour late as they were told the delay was due to waiting on incoming/delayed bags.

Upon arrival into Canada they were directed to the AC counter where they had tickets for them for their new flight. They questioned what happened to their already scheduled flight as they felt they had plenty of time to clear customs and make it to the gate, etc... (slightly over 1 hour connection)

The agent said it would take them 70 minutes to get bags and clear customs so they wouldn't be able to make it in time.

Well, they got their bags and cleared customs in about 15 minutes which would have left them about 45 minutes to get to their gate, etc...

They proceeded to their original departure gate were they tried to see about getting back on that flight. The agent at the gate said they couldn't do anything and directed them to another customer service desk.

The agent at that desk attempted to help however said the bags were already rerouted and couldn't be retrieved for placement onto their original flight.

Their new flight leaves about 4 hours after their original flight.

They were given a $10 CAD voucher for use in the airport by the agent who originally provided them with their new flight information.

With this information - would this be considered a IDB? Other options for seeking compensation (if deserved)?

Any thought or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 11, 17, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by mbowden19 View Post

There is also this thread

VDB, IDB and Compensation - Master Thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-master-2.html
Old Sep 11, 17, 5:30 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist

They were given a $10 CAD voucher for use in the airport by the agent who originally provided them with their new flight information.

With this information - would this be considered a IDB? Other options for seeking compensation (if deserved)?

Legally it is 100% an IDB. The airline could just as easily left your friends on the tight connection while protecting / saving them inventory on a later connection. Their system was designed, instead, to give away seats to either overbooked or standby passengers when connection times are 'improbable'.

It's even worse if the connecting flight that they 'missed' hasn't even started boarding yet or takes a maintenance delay.

All your friends had to do, per the contract of carriage, was to be a confirmed passenger and be at the gate 20 minutes prior to sched. depart time.

AC has historically waited until they are sued before paying IDB compensation in these cases.
Old Sep 11, 17, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Friend (party of 3) flying from the EU to the US with a connection in Canada.

They departed out of the EU just under an hour late as they were told the delay was due to waiting on incoming/delayed bags.

Upon arrival into Canada they were directed to the AC counter where they had tickets for them for their new flight. They questioned what happened to their already scheduled flight as they felt they had plenty of time to clear customs and make it to the gate, etc... (slightly over 1 hour connection)

The agent said it would take them 70 minutes to get bags and clear customs so they wouldn't be able to make it in time.

Well, they got their bags and cleared customs in about 15 minutes which would have left them about 45 minutes to get to their gate, etc...

They proceeded to their original departure gate were they tried to see about getting back on that flight. The agent at the gate said they couldn't do anything and directed them to another customer service desk.

The agent at that desk attempted to help however said the bags were already rerouted and couldn't be retrieved for placement onto their original flight.

Their new flight leaves about 4 hours after their original flight.

Assuming that they had a genuine connection on one ticket, they should be able to claim EC261 compensation based on arriving at destination more than four hours late. The cause was the delay on their first flight, so the claim would be against that airline.

Canadian regulations might consider the events on the second flight to be IDB.
Old Sep 11, 17, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
For IDB, you'd have to prove it was oversold.
Old Sep 11, 17, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
For IDB, you'd have to prove it was oversold.
For compensation as regular IDB, sure.

But if initiating in the EU, compensation for delay is due under the EU regulation. Not really IDB. If delay s more than what, 4 hours?
Old Sep 12, 17, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
For compensation as regular IDB, sure.

But if initiating in the EU, compensation for delay is due under the EU regulation. Not really IDB. If delay s more than what, 4 hours?
Emphasis mine.

Except instead of "really", I'd say "at all".
Old Sep 12, 17, 6:01 am

Probably easier to use EU ruling, but if it wasn't originating from the EU I'd be making a stink, asking for similar compensation as an IDB. If they say no, off to the CBC and court I go.
Old Sep 12, 17, 1:37 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Didnt someone recently hsve this issue on FT?

Where if you get auto rebooked and still make your orignal flight, but get barred from it because it's full, you're entitled to IDB?

I'd claim it if it was my case. But dunno what I'd do if I had checked luggage. Maybe the luggage being under MCT could mean my claim would get denied?
Old Sep 12, 17, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
Didnt someone recently hsve this issue on FT?

Where if you get auto rebooked and still make your orignal flight, but get barred from it because it's full, you're entitled to IDB?

I'd claim it if it was my case. But dunno what I'd do if I had checked luggage. Maybe the luggage being under MCT could mean my claim would get denied?
I think the argument could be made that if you rechecked your bag at T-30, you didn't "meet the check-in requirements".

It's a little weird if it's an AC to AC connection and the first flight is delayed for controllable reasons.

I almost had the opportunity to try this with 8yroldsuperelite a while back, but we ended up landing after our connection had departed

Search this Thread
Search Engine: