Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada should abandon United Airlines and partner with someone else

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada should abandon United Airlines and partner with someone else

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Fair.
But IDB is still not right IMHO. And so many problems like this would not happen if there are sufficient regulation in place to protect pax's rights
Even if it means everyone has to pay $1 or 2 more per flight. Getting rid of this and piss poor IRROPs treatment is for the betterment of overall society.
Let's assume an aircraft has 100 seats in an all economy class configuration (to make mathematics simpler).

Let's assume the cost to operate this leg is $100,000. That means, each seat needs to command a yield > $1000, so let's call this $1000/seat is break even for an airline.

Let's assume that an airline charges $1500/seat and let's assume the no show rate is 50% (a number that various airlines have doled out for flights to Cancun and other leisurely destinations). This means the airline now has a gross revenue of $75,000 for this leg, which now makes this route unprofitable.

Therefore, if an airline is not allowed to overbook, then the airline now has to charge at least $2000, which means an increase of $500/seat or 33% more.

Are you willing to pay 33% more? (of course not.) The math indicated in your post indicating $1 or 2 more per seat is flawed. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I also agree that those who pay the least for their flight should be bumped first. It's only fair to the passengers who have paid more for their ticket.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Is it trespass if you're invited onto the airplane by the airline? All the passengers on board were.
Once he was clearly instructed that he was being refused service and told to deplane, he no longer had a defense of a lawful purpose to be on the plane. The other passengers were not refused service and thus were not trespassing. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by 28isGreat
I'll agree that a trespress offence (probably) arose here. I'm just asking Stranger, who has repeatedly said "pax must follow all crew instructions", where this is written in stone tablets, regardless of the instruction's relevance to aircraft or passenger safety. To take this to the absurd, surely I could not be arrested if crew ordered me to write my name in pink with rainbows, and I refused.
US Code of Federal Regulations, 14 C.F.R. §§ 91.11, 121.580, 135.120.

Plain English version here: http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...rewmember.htm#
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I reported it, I believe before there were any replies, as I didn't think it was appropriate to discuss UA issues in the AC forum.

Apparently I'm wrong, so I'm going to start creating more threads about UA issues here, under the guise of "Why AC shouldn't partner with UA".
The thread title is about whether AC, as a UA partner, should maintain a business relationship in light of the optics of the latest event. Yes, it has gone off the rails a bit, but name a thread within this forum - or any other - that hasn't.

I'm not sure about the usefulness of creating spurious threads as a retaliatory gesture, however...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Once he was clearly instructed that he was being refused service and told to deplane, he no longer had a defense of a lawful purpose to be on the plane. The other passengers were not refused service and thus were not trespassing. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand?
Well, this will save a bucketload of cash by rendering moot any future legal action, as you've definitively wrapped up any outstanding question here. I feel silly for having dared to seek clarification as a non-lawyer, because clearly it's obvious to understand by all those sharper minds than mine. I certainly hope any counsel representing the passenger wouldn't fall into the same trap of questioning legal interpretation.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Thatguyatthebar
Not that i am condoning this in any way, but it seems to me like the culprit here isnt UA, (or by extension AC) it's airport security. I can't help but think that forcibly removing someone from the airplane was a very bad solution but i can't figure out what else they could have done? Offer more money? Probably cheaper to them than what this will cost them in bad PR but once again all UA did was call security, not drag the poor guy. The dragging is on the security guys.
I'm puzzled that once this started happening no one just got up and said :" OK OK, i'll go just leave the poor guy alone. "
I say UA is the culprit. They boarded the flight with non-revs needing seats. That is what triggered the entire cascade of events.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Let's assume an aircraft has 100 seats in an all economy class configuration (to make mathematics simpler).

Let's assume the cost to operate this leg is $100,000. That means, each seat needs to command a yield > $1000, so let's call this $1000/seat is break even for an airline.

Let's assume that an airline charges $1500/seat and let's assume the no show rate is 50% (a number that various airlines have doled out for flights to Cancun and other leisurely destinations). This means the airline now has a gross revenue of $75,000 for this leg, which now makes this route unprofitable.

Therefore, if an airline is not allowed to overbook, then the airline now has to charge at least $2000, which means an increase of $500/seat or 33% more.

Are you willing to pay 33% more? (of course not.) The math indicated in your post indicating $1 or 2 more per seat is flawed. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I also agree that those who pay the least for their flight should be bumped first. It's only fair to the passengers who have paid more for their ticket.
This is a gross oversimplification. The first problem with your logic is that the people paying the $1500/seat have non-refundable tickets. If they no-show, then the airline keeps the money, and also save on fuel because of reduced weight. It is the people who pay $3000 for the same seat, but have the privilege of cancelling last minute that cause some of the problems.

But the UA incident wasn't even due to miscalculated no-show rates. It was a last minute crew relocation, possibly caused by cascading delays in the system.

If regulations have higher penalties for IDB and long delays, then airlines will likely pad their block times a little more, pad their refundable no-show guesses, and possibly increase their MCTs to reduce IDB and long delays. This will increase costs, but not by the amount that you are suggesting.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
US Code of Federal Regulations, 14 C.F.R. §§ 91.11, 121.580, 135.120.

Plain English version here: http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...rewmember.htm#
Thanks, I appreciate that! However, I still don't see anything in those sections giving crew unfettered authority to issue any and all instructions. 135.120 says, "No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated under this part." The other sections cited are substantially similar.

I'd say it's a stretch to say that refusing to leave your seat, when it has nothing to do with a operating an aircraft, consists of interference. (Contrast with: "please get out of your seat so that I can fix the emergency exit door".)

Ultimately, my broader concern with the statement that "all crew instructions must be followed" is that we've seen a variety of incidents over the years where situations get escalated based on this alleged authority. This is not absolute authority.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:18 am

Ultimately, my broader concern with the statement that "all crew instructions must be followed" is that we've seen a variety of incidents over the years where situations get escalated based on this alleged authority. This is not absolute authority.
An excellent comment. I believe some contributors here have adopted the approach of following blindly whatever somebody in uniform declares, without question or nuance. This is particularly evident aboard airplanes, which hold some sort of special regard in today's increasingly fear-based culture.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by smallmj
This is a gross oversimplification.
Hence why "Let's assume" appeared many times in my post. My point was that Jumper Jack's comment that a ticket would cost $1 or $2 more if airlines didn't overbook is not accurate. This is the same demographic of flyers who would not pay a nickel more than they have to - so they will have to live in a world where airlines are permitted to overbook in order for them to pay the minimum amount to fly.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I appreciate that! However, I still don't see anything in those sections giving crew unfettered authority to issue any and all instructions. 135.120 says, "No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated under this part." The other sections cited are substantially similar.

I'd say it's a stretch to say that refusing to leave your seat, when it has nothing to do with a operating an aircraft, consists of interference. (Contrast with: "please get out of your seat so that I can fix the emergency exit door".)

It would depend on how "crewmember duties" is defined. Under 14 CFR 121.533(d) and (e), the pilot in command (PIC):

(d) Each pilot in command of an aircraft is, during flight time, in command of the aircraft and crew and is responsible for the safety of the passengers, crewmembers, cargo, and airplane.(e) Each pilot in command has full control and authority in the operation of the aircraft, without limitation, over other crewmembers and their duties during flight time, whether or not he holds valid certificates authorizing him to perform the duties of those crewmembers.
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
An excellent comment. I believe some contributors here have adopted the approach of following blindly whatever somebody in uniform declares, without question or nuance. This is particularly evident aboard airplanes, which hold some sort of special regard in today's increasingly fear-based culture.
Without going too OMNI/PR, someone overreaching their authority in the moment will generally only be punished for it ex post facto. If a flight attendant tells me to, using an absurd Kafkaesque example, strip naked and dance in the aisle, and I refuse, and they claim that authority, and the PIC backs up the FA, and I still refuse, the PIC is allowed a wide latitude towards the operation of the aircraft. The PIC can claim I'm disobeying a direct crew member order. The key is the PIC; the FA does not have absolute authority, but the PIC effectively does. And, in most situations, the PIC will back up the FA, even if wrong. Can I sue the airline? Sure, and I (and my lawyers) will probably get a boatload of money. Will the PIC and FA be reprimanded and/or fired? Sure. But I'm still going to be removed from the aircraft and not flying on that plane at that time, as almost happened to this gentleman until two other people gave up their seats instead. I personally don't blindly follow what someone in uniform says, but I also recognize that such an approach may not be the best for a purely focused "get me where I want to go" aim. Discretion is the better part of valour is a cliche because it often is true.

More reading if interested concerning a case in Eid v. Alaska Airlines addressing the Tokyo Convention of 1963: http://www.kreindler.com/Publication...e-06162011.pdf

And of course, caveat that this is all under American laws and regulations and I have no personal idea what applies in Canada.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Apr 11, 2017 at 8:38 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:34 am

Unfortunately at the end of the day people will be angry, but it won't have much effect on their behaviour - a lot of people would probably choose UA to save $10
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyerfreddy
Unfortunately at the end of the day people will be angry, but it won't have much effect on their behaviour - a lot of people would probably choose UA to save $10
Yes they will over time. Currently though UA stock down 3.5% which has wiped off $500M. Perhaps the IDB even at $2k would have been cheaper. And according to another poster the video has been viewed 1M times in China alone. Likely to have impact on UA's business for at least the short term. Compounded by the CEOs silly defence of the actions causing a further PR nightmare.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
Yes they will over time. Currently though UA stock down 3.5% which has wiped off $500M. Perhaps the IDB even at $2k would have been cheaper. And according to another poster the video has been viewed 1M times in China alone. Likely to have impact on UA's business for at least the short term. Compounded by the CEOs silly defence of the actions causing a further PR nightmare.
On The Washington Post, two of the top five most read articles involve this case, including one noting that this is going over very poorly in China, a major international market for United.

On The Guardian (UK), five of the top ten most viewed articles involve United Airlines in some way, three specifically to this case and the other two to the leggings issue not long ago.

I sense a potential broken codeshare with AC would be the least of UA's concerns at the moment. Selfishly I would love for AC to break off with UA and switch to AA, I got some miles to burn .
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by vernonc
I wouldn't be surprised if that will continue to drop. Heck even a $5k would be cheaper and very certain that there will be a lot of people would love to take the $5k!

The winners here are other competitive airlines, media and the forum for generating lots of traffic!

I wonder what the Board would do or say... Maybe ask the CEO to retire its about time to rest with a Golden Parachute.

Last edited by BRAISKI; Apr 11, 2017 at 9:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.