Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I was worried because of this thread, but my dawn departure ex-YYZ this morning was on the dot and arrived destination early. Hope a few other people have smooth sailing to balance out the bad ones.
The GDPs all seem to come later in the day.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
There usually is a very slight program in effect in the morning (JZA and WJE off CYXU get delayed every morning) but as long as there is no weather, they usually go to airborne holding if required until mid afternoon when the evening rush requires a GDP or the airborne holding would be too long.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:31 pm

Another fun Sunday with delays and cancellations from YXU to YYZ. Waivers were open yesterday for Sat & Sun. Unlike earlier this week, yesterday AC was happy to off-load me from my 1'st lag today. The Robert Q shuttle-bus to Pearson today ensures I'll catch my evening flight (with some lounge time to spare).
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Might be time to dust-off On My Way and start adding it to flights transiting YYZ. That's probably money well spent.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I'm sitting in EWR, waiting to board to YYZ ... and just minutes before we were about to board, they announced a two hour delay due to the yyz runway construction.

It's frustrating enough that the construction causes a delay (as per discussion above) ... but it drives me crazy that they can't plan ahead.

If they had told me 6 hours ago that the flight would be delayed, I could have found plenty of other things to do with those two hours.

Announcing a delay at the very last minute, when its caused by a known factor (it's not like a thunderstorm just rolled through), is incredibly frustrating and really poor planning.

#grumpgrumpgrump
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by canopus27
I'm sitting in EWR, waiting to board to YYZ ... and just minutes before we were about to board, they announced a two hour delay due to the yyz runway construction.

It's frustrating enough that the construction causes a delay (as per discussion above) ... but it drives me crazy that they can't plan ahead.

If they had told me 6 hours ago that the flight would be delayed, I could have found plenty of other things to do with those two hours.

Announcing a delay at the very last minute, when its caused by a known factor (it's not like a thunderstorm just rolled through), is incredibly frustrating and really poor planning.

#grumpgrumpgrump
That is the essence of my grumping too. Not that the delays happen so much as the incredible lack of communication and planning. It is incredibly frustrating, even more so when it prevents us from pursuing alternatives. Icing on the cake for me is it almost inevitably happens on my way home. When I just want to get home. I don't care about the upgrade for my seat, I don't care about the meal service (give me a double scotch and a smoked meat sandwich and I am fine), I just want to get home. But AC seems to go out of their way to not communicate and make this far more difficult than it needs to be.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
That is the essence of my grumping too. Not that the delays happen so much as the incredible lack of communication and planning. It is incredibly frustrating, even more so when it prevents us from pursuing alternatives. Icing on the cake for me is it almost inevitably happens on my way home. When I just want to get home. I don't care about the upgrade for my seat, I don't care about the meal service (give me a double scotch and a smoked meat sandwich and I am fine), I just want to get home. But AC seems to go out of their way to not communicate and make this far more difficult than it needs to be.
It gets better. They had announced a new departure time of 8:25pm (sched was 6:25), with a new boarding time of 8pm.

So people got up and wandered off around the airport.

Now it's 7pm, and they suddenly announced "good news, we're actually going at 7:25, boarding is now'.

Then the gate agent, looking around at the now empty gate area, asked "where is everybody?" (Hint: you essentially told everyone to go away for two hours)

Who knows if everyone is going to get back to the gate in time, or if we'll be even further delayed waiting for stragglers .... but I'm thinking that just a smidgen more planning might have helped here.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:20 pm

Now it's 7pm, and they suddenly announced "good news, we're actually going at 7:25, boarding is now'.

Then the gate agent, looking around at the now empty gate area, asked "where is everybody?" (Hint: you essentially told everyone to go away for two hours)

Who knows if everyone is going to get back to the gate in time, or if we'll be even further delayed waiting for stragglers .... but I'm thinking that just a smidgen more planning might have helped here.
Wait... just where have I heard this before.

I'm starting to see a pattern, perhaps, but I can't put my finger on it.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:22 pm

Update: it's now 7:20, I'm onboard, there are no other passengers still boarding, so it looks like we've finished boardong ... but the plane is only half full (this for a flight that they'd said was full).

So now we're sitting here, waiting for stragglers to appear, one by one.

sigh
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So you're complaining that they didn't announce the delay in advance, and now you're complaining that they announced it, allowing people to leave?

I recall a tour of UA LAX ops, when someone asked, "Why do you do rolling delays? It's so annoying to have to sit by the gate when I could go somewhere else."

This is a perfect example of why rolling delays are used.

You can't un-delay a flight.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
So you're complaining that they didn't announce the delay in advance, and now you're complaining that they announced it, allowing people to leave?

I recall a tour of UA LAX ops, when someone asked, "Why do you do rolling delays? It's so annoying to have to sit by the gate when I could go somewhere else."

This is a perfect example of why rolling delays are used.

You can't un-delay a flight.
He/she might be, but my complaint is that they un-delayed mine after telling me to go .
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by D404
He/she might be, but my complaint is that they un-delayed mine after telling me to go .
But any announcement of a multi-hour delay is basically telling everyone to go.

My opinion is that rolling delays are fine as long as they give me enough notice to stay in the lounge
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:30 pm

You gotta be kidding me, they just closed the door!

The GA came on board, did a survey, and kicked a guy out of a seat across the aisle from me - saying that he was in the wrong seat, and that pair of seats were for someone else ... so I'm certain that more people were expected ...

But now the door is closed, both those seats are empty, there are a ton of other open seats (including open J seats, and I know J was full) ... and I'm just incredulous.

oh, wait, they just opened the door, let 2 more people in, and closed the door again ... and now we've pushed back.

What a way to run an airline.

#flaberghasted
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
But any announcement of a multi-hour delay is basically telling everyone to go.

My opinion is that rolling delays are fine as long as they give me enough notice to stay in the lounge
I think we're in 100% agreement here.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
You gotta be kidding me, they just closed the door!

The GA came on board, did a survey, and kicked a guy out of a seat across the aisle from me - saying that he was in the wrong seat, and that pair of seats were for someone else ... so I'm certain that more people were expected ...

But now the door is closed, both those seats are empty, there are a ton of other open seats (including open J seats, and I know J was full) ... and I'm just incredulous.

oh, wait, they just opened the door, let 2 more people in, and closed the door again ... and now we've pushed back.

What a way to run an airline.

#flaberghasted
Welcome to the new AC, where every flight is a game of roulette. Maybe spin the wheel. Except that there are two wheels. One which AC shows you, and has 8 segments, all of which say (until T-5 mins) "on schedule". One which AC doesn't. It has 8 segments too. Except 7 of them have delays of various lengths on them. And it can be spun again, at random times. Yes the 8th segment says "on schedule". And no none of them are ever accurate. Except coincidentally. Broken clock and all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.