Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by johnston21
Looks like YYZ - YXU took a significant hit yesterday; 16:35, 18:05, and 19:30 all cancelled. Only left the 22:55 which arrived almost 2 hrs late.

Looking at departures from EWR and LGA in to YYZ, EWR's seem to be greatly delayed more so than from LGA.

I can see taking the Robert Q from London to Pearson airport as an alternative, but how does one plan for a return to London on the RQ if arrivals in to Pearson are so unpredictable? (rhetorical question)

For upcoming flights not already booked, DTW via the RQ is looking like a good alternative to those from London. Yes a 3.5 hr shuttle-bus each way, but at least you "get there."
Only other thought - try to route via YYC and take WS or route via YOW.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:04 pm

Just spoke to an AC agent and as there are no waivers in-place beyond today, AC is not prepared to drop Lag 1 of my 1'st segment next week (YXU-YYZ). I plan to take ground transportation to ensure I don't miss-connect (and overnight) again. The only option offered was to re-price. Will re-try on day of travel.

...They sure aren't making life easy (at all).

Last edited by johnston21; Apr 12, 2017 at 2:23 pm
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:28 pm

Hey AC: Don't say 'late flight', then say 'wheels up soon' when 1/2 pax left.

AC out of DCA today. Departure delay of 1 hr due to runways in Toronto.....

So a whole bunch of people and go to find something to eat in the hellhole that is DCA terminal.....

And then AC announces, 'oh, wait, we're going'.

Like, this will go well.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Just spoke to an AC agent and as there are no waivers in-place beyond today, AC is not prepared to drop Lag 1 of my 1'st segment next week (YXU-YYZ). I plan to take ground transportation to ensure I don't miss-connect (and overnight) again. The only option offered was to re-price. Will re-try on day of travel.

...They sure aren't making life easy (at all).
You do know you can't just skip the first segment of an itinerary without the whole thing being cancelled, right? (Yes, you can call in and try to get them to not cancel and do this, I don't know what your odds would be, probably depends a bit on your status.)
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, ex-Aeroplan Elite; Hertz #1 club
2 N/S
3 E/W, one of which is shorter than the other 2.
Heathrow has 2 runways, Gatwick one. What is the problem in YYZ?

Last edited by donard; Apr 12, 2017 at 6:14 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
You do know you can't just skip the first segment of an itinerary without the whole thing being cancelled, right?
Yes, reason for my calling them...
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
And I thought the 401 was bad

Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Yes, reason for my calling them...
OK good. Just didn't want to see a bad day get worse for you.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by donard
Heathrow has 2 runways, Gatwick one. What is the problem in YYZ?
It's Toronto. 'Nuff said.

For reference sake;
Toronto Pearson has five main runways and 30 taxiways, constructed of concrete, asphalt or a combination of the two
Runway 06L-24R measures 2,895.6 x 60.9 metres (9,500 x 200 feet)
Runway 06R-24L measures 2,740.0 x 60.9 metres (9,040 x 200 feet)
Runway 15L-33R measures 3,368 x 60.9 metres (11,050 x 200 feet)
Runway 15R-33L measures 2,590.0 x 60.9 metres (8,500 x 200 feet)
Runway 05-23 measures 3,389.2 x 60.9 metres (11,120 x 200 feet)
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

So a whole bunch of people and go to find something to eat in the hellhole that is DCA terminal.....

Like, this will go well.
Showing 10 mins late departing and 1 hr late arriving.
Assume you were well entertained on the ground at DCA or having a circular good time above YYZ.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by cruzcap
As I count it YYZ has 5 runways.....surely to god they can operate using 3-4? Or typical GTAA incompetence creeping in?
SFO has 4 runways. Whenever the ceiling and/or visibility get to low, capacity drops 50-75%.

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
GTAA doesn't control runway usage/air space movements - that would be NavCan.
Airport Authorities decide which pieces of pavement will be used and when. Nav Canada ensures they are used safely.

Originally Posted by cruzcap
Even better..a government agency..what could go wrong?....intersecting runways are not the issue...airports around the world makes this type of network work. busy ones.
Nav Canada is as much a government agency as Air Canada.
Yes intersecting runways are a contributing factor.
Airports around the world do maintenance on a continuous basis. Those airports experience delays too.

There were thunderstorms near YYZ Tuesday. That contributed to additional delays for a few hours.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:36 am

how does one plan for a return to London on the RQ if arrivals in to Pearson are so unpredictable? (rhetorical question)
During the Mar Break unpleasantness my flight YYZ to YXU was cancelled and rescheduled 24 hrs later. Went to Robert Q and found 7:30 pm was full. They added an extra van 1 hr later which for $104.00 got me back to the airport to get my car.

Tue night this week last YYZ YXU flight finally left at 12:30 and arrived at 1:30 am Wed. Like many, bags not on the flight. Finally out of the airport at 2 am after paperwork.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:45 am

I changed my Monday flight to avoid YYZ. The travel agent thought I was nuts, she said she hadn't heard anything about flight delays. Now I have to track what actually happens...

I cancelled an important trip in March due to the big storm that was expected on the Eastern Seaboard. My first segment YXE-YYZ was already cancelled before I got out of bed that day. Unfortunately for my reputation at work, everything ran smoothly after that, although I wouldn't have arrived until 4:00 am for an 8:00 am presentation, so I was happy to hand it off to the guy who got the last seat on the corporate jet and stay home.

So I hope I'm not being overly proactive this time (giving up earning two segments to avoid YYZ) but I can't miss another meeting with this group.

How's it looking so far today in YYZ?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

Like, this will go well.
I actually missed my YQT-YYZ(-EWR) flight the other day because of this. I'm not proud of that . My BP printed with a 1 hour delay due to YYZ GDP, the agent told people, etc. Phone buzzed. 1:10hr delay. Buzzes again. 1:20. Buzzes 5 more times going back and forth between 2hrs and 1:50hrs. Talked to the agent and she said we're definitely not leaving any time soon. So, living 10 minutes away from the airport, I went home for a bit. Bad call. The flight left on time, missing a bunch of people who did something similar to me. The app didn't buzz my phone with the updated (on time) departure time until 20 minutes after it was wheels-up. This was the last flight of the day, and the next morning's flights were already cancelled. Flew PD YQT-YTZ-EWR the next morning, arrived early.

I accept this is technically my fault, but I can't help but roll my eyes at the ridiculous way the situation was handled.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I was worried because of this thread, but my dawn departure ex-YYZ this morning was on the dot and arrived destination early. Hope a few other people have smooth sailing to balance out the bad ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.