Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:25 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
If AC has to cancel due to this, who is responsible to accommodate the pax?
Other than changing it for free, I am on my own. Unlike when I was still SE in Feb where I learned that SE always get hotel + transportation + some meal.

The only benefits I got was changing my G fare direct flight to an indirect flight with G+Y fares. End up getting about an additional 1500 AQM.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by alc
Other than changing it for free, I am on my own. Unlike when I was still SE in Feb where I learned that SE always get hotel + transportation + some meal.

The only benefits I got was changing my G fare direct flight to an indirect flight with G+Y fares. End up getting about an additional 1500 AQM.
But what if you didn't change your flight? What if you were a pax who went to get on the flight and it was cancelled? Who's on the hook?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:42 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
But what if you didn't change your flight? What if you were a pax who went to get on the flight and it was cancelled? Who's on the hook?
Both times they already rebooked me to a later flight or next day flight. I just called in and ask (nicely) by providing a "sound valid" reason to get the indirect option. And both times I did confirm the reason for the cancellation is indeed the runway and hence no compensation. Especially the inbound as it force me for an extra night of hotel, but they are operating this like weather related.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Something doesn't seem right. Please indulge me here. I have been looking at some of the long haul flights. I have the impression that AC has a higher proportion of the delays. For example. CX flights to HKG are on time while AC flights are late. Same for AF/KLM.

I have the impression that AC is a willing participant to these delays. Is the airline getting an "incentive" to accept a higher proportion of the disruptions?

If I have it wrong, fine. I hope I have it wrong.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Something doesn't seem right. Please indulge me here. I have been looking at some of the long haul flights. I have the impression that AC has a higher proportion of the delays. For example. CX flights to HKG are on time while AC flights are late. Same for AF/KLM.

I have the impression that AC is a willing participant to these delays. Is the airline getting an "incentive" to accept a higher proportion of the disruptions?

If I have it wrong, fine. I hope I have it wrong.
Generally (and I say this as someone who lives in SFO, which is notorious for delays), delays are assigned based on flight length.

I would never expect a CX flight to North America to be delayed due to issues in North America, barring extreme circumstances.

Same for AF/KLM.

When it comes to AC, I'm sure they're given the option of "you have a YUL flight and a HKG flight, which one do you want to depart?". And if they choose the YUL flight, that's on them. But the delays are usually assigned to the closer flights. But when it's your hub, you can shuffle them around much more easily than when you have one flight a day.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
when comparing AC to HKG and CX to HKG, I would also add that the likelihood of more connecting passengers is higher with AC, so they "MAY" delay to ensure as many of them make the flight since they know where/when the connections are due in.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I found the info regarding Phase 2. It closes the middle part of 05/23 which effectively closes ALL of 05/23. The work also closes the northern part of 15R/33L (from taxiway H north). No arrivals on 15R, departures are restricted to B737/A320 and smaller. That should last until mid-late May, then no more construction until the fall which will be the eastern portion of 05/23 which will close the northern part of 15L/33R (from taxiway H north).
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
So the repairs continue until June 1st but AC will only let you rebook on one day? Seems fair.
Originally Posted by YQMYMM
Would be great if they extended their advisory and allowed changes at least a few weeks in advance.
I have a flight connecting in YYZ in just over a week that I would change to YUL if they'd let me.
Originally Posted by ridefar
It certainly would, wouldn't it?

Which is why I am pointing out how long the delays could go on for--any airline (not just AC) operating out of YYZ needs to be more accommodating. The whole thing has been very disruptive.
AC doesn't seem to be issuing a YYZ runway construction advisory today even though 05/23 is still being repaired - wonder what their logic is...
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: *$ Green
Maybe less issues today due to less traffic on Sunday?

If I was AC, I wouldn't issue a blanket exception and allow anyone that has any itinerary through YYZ until may to change their flights for free. I'd do it on a day by day basis.

Are the departure boards red and orange all over?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:04 am

GDP may start a 2p.m. this afternoon.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
New notice on AC.com. YYZ Delays not listed under the daily Travel Alerts but now its own item on the RHS of the page, leading to:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...html#/20170403

Attached Images  
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Maybe less issues today due to less traffic on Sunday?

If I was AC, I wouldn't issue a blanket exception and allow anyone that has any itinerary through YYZ until may to change their flights for free. I'd do it on a day by day basis.

Are the departure boards red and orange all over?
Nope.

I'm in the TB lounge now, and the board shows just 2 delays (CLT & SEA) and no cancellations.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:56 pm

2.5 hr delays late-afternoon out of YXU in to YYZ today with the last being cancelled. Landed N to S at YYZ.

At least auto-rebooking put me on an early to my destination tomorrow morn (being AC, was expecting something like tomorrow eve or Tues morn).

...and in addition to asking for points at the SPG check-in (unplanned revenue night as I miss-connected), was comp'd a bar drink.

Life goes on.

Last edited by johnston21; Apr 9, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AC 35k
We were probably on the same flight, johnston21 - 8652? I got lucky and sprinted from the turboprop areas to my gate and made it (you may have seen me sprinting if you deplaned quickly enough). It was chaos at Pearson yesterday. Huge delays, cancelled flights, 12+ planes queued at the runways.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
We were probably on the same flight, johnston21 - 8652?
Yes. As I was trans-border and already off-loaded, I had dinner at Mill St instead of having to eat at the Sheraton.

Got out without delays this morning @ 6:30.

Will likely move up to the 15:30 next Sunday out of YXU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.