Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Mystery - The Case of the Missing Kit Kats

Air Canada Mystery - The Case of the Missing Kit Kats

Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Trump grabbed all the KitKats.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:58 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Maybe we should build a wall to keep him out and make the snack baskets great again.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Maybe we should build a wall to keep him out and make the snack baskets great again.
Make sure it's YUGE!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Make sure it's YUGE!
And UNITED will pay for it!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Or some pax taking 2 or 3 at a time. One HKG flight last year, the pax before me took the last four kit kat bars. I gave him a look and he gave me 1. Funny, how some complained when Kit Kats were introduced, now they are the hot item.
Firstly that's just unacceptable to me. I've taken a kit-kat and bag of chips before, but I wouldn't dream of hording all the chocolate bars even if I wasn't on FT.

That said, maybe the pax was making up for the lack of kit-kats or have 3 segments to go and wasn't optimistic about their chances.

And as to being the hot item, it's a matter of amending ones expectations.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Because the Miss Vickie's reduced-salt/fat/taste/whatever chips taste like stale cardboard and the dark Lindts don't appeal to a lot of people who don't like very dark chocolate.

I miss the milk Lindts.
+1 ^
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by 24left
No doubt.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else is willing to be an onboard "mystery shopper" of sorts and report back if your flights are missing Kit Kats - or even entire snack bags, and if you dare to ask, what they crew replies are.

On the thread about asking for edible food, I had mentioned that there was no snack basket although som sad looking fruit was put out. It's obvious to me that this is intentional. My last TPAC from Hong Kong in January had nothing on offer either. I'm with Adam Smith on this one - Calin's cut the operating costs initiative.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Or some pax taking 2 or 3 at a time. One HKG flight last year, the pax before me took the last four kit kat bars. I gave him a look and he gave me 1. Funny, how some complained when Kit Kats were introduced, now they are the hot item.
Perhaps, a hot item because there is often nothing else of interest.
Maybe they could hit Walmart after Halloween and buy the leftover bags of chips and Doritos. Although, I expect that the AC purchaser would most likely gravitate to those horrible Halloween "toffee" candies that no one ever ate.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Me too.

Piss me off, and I'll stop flying your airline for 6 months.

I've done it twice.

Wait, I spent $20k, and that was with a half-year hiatus?

I wonder how many of me there are. Wouldn't take too many to hire someone intelligent to deal with us.

​​​​​​Both hiatus with AC?! What happened I'm so curious now.

Boss move lol!!!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
But I like the reduced salt/fat Miss Vickie's!

However, if the Krispy Kernals almonds are gone, then there'll be consequences and repercussions.

Because the Miss Vickie's reduced-salt/fat/taste/whatever chips taste like stale cardboard...
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AC SE
Not saying this is always the case, but I've noticed many crews will automatically just say "we didn't get any - catering error" without looking into it much further.

I can think of an example recently on a transcon PLH flight that should have the snack basket. They didn't offer any snacks, so about 45 mins before landing, I asked if they had any snacks. SD was quick to say "no, catering didn't give us anything."

I'd happened to notice a full bag with the snack basket items was in the front of the overhead bins, as it is on some narrowbody flights and pointed it out to the SD. She looked a bit embarassed and said "oh, I hadn't noticed them", despite the fact that I'd seen her open/close that overhead bin multiple times during the flight. Not saying this happens all the time, but I've seen a few cases where there was a closed bag of snack basket items that was visible either in an overhead bin or galley, and they weren't offered to passengers.

In a lot of cases, it may be catering errors or cost cutting, but I've also seen cases there the crew just doesn't offer the items or "doesn't see them". This probably doesn't help the cost cutting, as if a crew doesn't offer the snack items and they get returned, AC thinks they are being too generous and overcatering, and cuts the quantities.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
On the thread about asking for edible food, I had mentioned that there was no snack basket although som sad looking fruit was put out. It's obvious to me that this is intentional. My last TPAC from Hong Kong in January had nothing on offer either. I'm with Adam Smith on this one - Calin's cut the operating costs initiative.
All my four HKG segments this year have had snack/fruit baskets. Plus the baskets were replaced once they are eaten down.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
All my four HKG segments this year have had snack/fruit baskets. Plus the baskets were replaced once they are eaten down.
Lucky you. Everything always seems to work in your favour but clearly, your experiences are not representative of the rest of us.

Clearly, you were not on any of my Air Canada flights across the Pacific that either had a shortage of snacks or none at all. And you were not on my friend's flight from SYD-YVR with no snack basket whatsoever.

As others have stated, when Air Canada accountants and minions wander around looking to cut half-slices of cucumber and tomato that were previously on the plate with the cheese with the healthy breakfast, you know other nonsense is on the way.

I am also not naive enough to think AC cares.

The execs and other lurkers who read FT for amusement, could care less since there seem to be plenty of people willing to pay over $5,000 to fly to Asia, or a little less on PLH transcons, with or without the snack basket.

But I started this thread because I noticed this started on my flights back in December 2015 and has increased in frequency.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
my son asks the crew shortly after takeoff (sometimes before) if they could please check to see if they have any kit kats loaded on the flight. They get a kick out of that and always seem to leave him extras during their cabin walk thru's. (sorry 'bout that!)

I, on the other hand, want a Lindt dark chocolate bar in flight. Often have to force myself to stay awake until the basket is first put out, versus sleeping until the basket just has the leftover fruit/chips.

Another reason for a shortage: I have seen multiple crews either set aside or poke open sealed snack baskets (taking most of the chocolate intended for the next flight!). then several kitkats/lindt bars got slipped to YYZ jetbridge workers on arrivals. Quietly handed and pocketed. We said something when the Service Director doing this the last time and he expressed his frustration. He said they expect this treatment by now for getting the jetbridge here quick. If the chocolate mafia at YYZ is skimming off the top, AC may not be under-catering at all.

(public service announcement: Canadian Kit Kat chocolate tastes much different than American Kit Kats...2 different mfr's license the brands. Try the Hershey's USA kind sometime and you won't even want an AC Kit Kat!)
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Lucky you. Everything always seems to work in your favour but clearly, your experiences are not representative of the rest of us.
For the record, I can't recall any international/PLH flights I've ever been on that did not have a snack basket.

I've had tablecloths missing. I've had SPMLs missing. But there's never been a snack basket shortage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.