Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

As March 27th, 2017 no more free Tango seat selection on certain Int. flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

Y seats are now subject to charge if advance selection is requested, even for Star Golds.

Last edited by grenouille; Mar 30, 2017 at 2:50 am
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:45 am

https://www.aircanada.com/no/en/aco/...html#/20170328

"March 28, 2017

Looking for an aisle seat, one next to a window or a little more space to stretch your legs? Or maybe you and your travel companion want to make sure you're seated together.

You can select your standard seat free of charge at check-in. But if you want to secure the seat that best suits your needs, you can always choose it in advance, free or for a fee.

You can complete your advance standard seat selection free of charge, regardless of your itinerary:

when you travel in Business Class
when you purchase a Premium Economy, Latitude or Flex fare
if you're an Altitude Super Elite 100K member
When you purchase a Tango fare, you can also select your standard seat in advance. A fee will apply if you're travelling within Canada, between Canada and the U.S., or to certain international destinations; but for all other itineraries, your advance seat selection is free."

So non-SE Altitude members got the shaft here. Makes me happy in my decision to have absolutely no AC status
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
What's changed here? Seat selection on Tango domestic has always been $$, no?
also, I noted "standard" - this can't be true... SEs get so little that at least preferred seats should be standard!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Another reason not to fly AC
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Seat selection on Tango domestic has always been $$, no?
But not on International flights
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
I don't see the problem with this. Maybe you should try flying BA, where they don't even allow you to pick a J seat without paying.

consumers are paying the price for their own behaviour that led mainline airlines down this path,
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
I don't see the problem with this. Maybe you should try flying BA, where they don't even allow you to pick a J seat without paying.

consumers are paying the price for their own behaviour that led mainline airlines down this path,
Bite your tongue. Don't give the AC bean counters any ideas. BA's approach is absolutely vile and dishonest. It knows people paying for business will expect a reserved seat and pay for it. The strategy allows BA to cut the sticker price but still get the same revenue. That wasn't a result of consumer behaviour but was a reflection of the dullard uninspiring corporate culture at BA. It's why the Gulf carriers have eaten BA's premium business. Amazing how talented and imaginative UK nationals were able to find a home working for airlines willing to listen and to support their views on quality.

As AC goes along with its nickel and dime strategy it is eroding customer loyalty and encouraging customers to select based upon cost only.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The title of this post is overkill. Elites are losing free seat selection on Tango fares. How much time do E35/50/75 spend flying on Tango fares? Hard to make status on those.

And certain international destinations are losing free seat selection on Tango fares - Caribbean/Central America and Europe, according to the list. TPACs and South America not included. Frankly, I'm surprised seat selection was included in those before.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The title of this post is overkill. Elites are losing free seat selection on Tango fares. How much time do E35/50/75 spend flying on Tango fares? Hard to make status on those.

And certain international destinations are losing free seat selection on Tango fares - Caribbean/Central America and Europe, according to the list. TPACs and South America not included. Frankly, I'm surprised seat selection was included in those before.
It looks like to me everyone is losing free seat selection on INTL Tango, except for SE. E35/50/75 never had free seat selection on domestic Tango fares to begin with either, so nothing's changed in that regard.

Last edited by YHZ_Flyer; Mar 30, 2017 at 6:20 am
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:41 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
It looks like to me everyone is losing free seat selection on INTL Tango, except for SE. E35/50/75 never had free seat selection on Tango domestic. Tango fares to begin with either, so nothing's changed in that regard.
Okay, so even more of a mountain out of a molehill then.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:47 am

People fly Tango?

I went behind the curtain and walked to the back of a 787 the other day on an international flight. Looks interesting back there!

(ducking)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
People fly Tango?

I went behind the curtain and walked to the back of a 787 the other day on an international flight. Looks interesting back there!

(ducking)
LOL- I have yet to see what the back of a 787 (or 777 for that matter) looks like. Hopefully I never will.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Well, I'm glad they didn't do this last year when I flew the family in Tango to Belgium. Then again I may have gotten free seat selection because of my youngest son (then 9). If not, then seat selection fee X5 for family members would definitely have cost a pretty penny. I just checked, and it would be $90 per person ($15 for domestic connection and $30 for TATL each way). Icelandair looks better every day.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:18 am

Well, this'll be great, lots more seat swapping and last minute requests to sit beside family before takeoff. Sure will make on time performance decrease!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
E35/50/75 never had free seat selection on domestic Tango fares to begin with either, so nothing's changed in that regard.
I thought they had free seat selection but not free premium seat selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.