Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Montreal family learns a costly lesson after signing children’s passports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Montreal family learns a costly lesson after signing children’s passports

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by skybluesea
And to make this even more awkward, CBSA acting on behalf of Minister of Immigration, is telling AC without documents Canadian citizens may NOT board flight to Canada.

Yet, Charter Mobility Rights Sec 6(1) gives Cdn citizens a right to enter or exit - and this right cannot be violated via Sec 33, Notwithstanding Clause.

Consequently, a Canadian citizen can make an oral declaration at a port-of-entry, which CBSA has a right to challenge/verify, but NO physical document is required to enter Canada (US in 2005 via REAL-ID law made document requirement necessary).

while you’ll need a travel document to be present lawfully in another country, CBSA is using the threat of heavy fines on Air Canada to accomplish something it legally can’t do itself to Cdn citizens.
You are conflating two different things. CBSA regulates not only who may and may not enter Canada and on what terms and conditions, but also what documents are required for a common carrier to bring a person into Canada.

A Canadian citizen can obtain an emergency travel document from a Consular officer (including a Consular officer of Australia in countries where there is no Canadian presence). A Canadian citizen may also return in a private vehicle or conveyance.

Regulating the documents required for a common carrier to bring you to Canada does not infringe on the rights you have to seek admission having presented yourself at a port of entry by whatever means you have used.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:34 pm
Old May 5, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by flyquiet
It's not that hard to read.
All my life I have seen evidence to the contrary - like every time I see someone cursing some new puchase while the instructions are lying on the floor in a still sealed bag.

(Years ago I applied for a PACE decal - ancient ancestor to Nexus - and the receiving agent asked if I had any questions. I said yes but I will read these brochures and instructions and if I still have questions perhaps he could address them then. He replied he wished he had an award to give me, but instead moved my application to the top of the list. Decal arrived about 10 days later.)
skybluesea and Twickenham like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Member

Just heard, literally seconds ago, on a reality tv show: "Despite all efforts, even resorting to the instruction manual..."

Mega Mechanics S01E04
Old May 5, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SKYEG
I remember the day my dad made my sister and I sign our passports. That was my first ever signature lol! It's funny how my name was more legible then compared to the scribble now haha
I'm the same as you. My signature used to be better when I was still in school. Now, it's just a mess, but no one ever questioned the quality of my signature in the real world. Only my teacher ever did.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:52 pm

Back to reality.... if confronted by a third country immigration officer or airline staff that dictates & insists you to sign or .......... What would you do?!
Old May 6, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Back to reality.... if confronted by a third country immigration officer or airline staff that dictates & insists you to sign or .......... What would you do?!
Easy

Amazon Amazon
Old May 6, 2019, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by AC*SE
Regulating the documents required for a common carrier to bring you to Canada does not infringe on the rights you have to seek admission having presented yourself at a port of entry by whatever means you have used.
I like to think that's an overly restrictive definition of the "right". Like saying "You have the right to *an* interpreter, but nothing says we have to provide you someone that can interpret *your* language, good luck!"

But that doesn't matter: it doesn't infringe because Canadian charter rights *generally* don't apply at foreign airports. A nice loophole they're taking advantage of.

Having dealt with a similar situation in the past (relative lost their PR card), I don't know why the Canadian government created a system to take about CAD$2000 out of the Canadian economy and deposit it into a US airlines coffers so they could fly into Buffalo instead of Toronto and drive across the border using the piece of paper they had on-hand all along. Oh, and a bunch of angry emails to various ministers.

Originally Posted by skybluesea
Certainly AC will have internal procedure for such travel as Public Safety Canada could NOT force a passport arrival requirement when an active Treaty exists that specifies the obligation of the two signatory states.
AC might not, in the same way that they'll refuse to board Canadians that lost their passport. CBSA may have to let someone in at a port of entry, but they can tell a corporation to not board you overseas to avoid getting to that point.
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by tecate55; May 6, 2019 at 10:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.