Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Major Electronic Ban in the Cabin: Trump Ban continues..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, Aeroplan Diamond, NEXUS

Another Trump ban is in place. The US has just banned passengers on flights from the UAE to the US from carrying major electronic devices in the cabin. This means that if you are flying from Dubai or Abu Dhabi to the USA, you can no longer take your IPad, laptop or any electronic games in the cabin.

http://www.shortlistdubai.com/around...flights-to-usa
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The reports I have seen indicate Air Canada is not affected by this ban.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, Aeroplan Diamond, NEXUS
Correct. So far, AC is not on the list. Thought I'd share for travelers who will be connecting or those with potential to be affected. #TheSagaContinues

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
There are at least 4 other threads on this two of which I posted in. But to avoid posting repeats I do have a question that could be considered AC?

I've been forced to gate check twice in the past, one time no rollers were going in and everyone clearly on business was checking which means a ton of laptops in the hold. Other time I was Z5 and told there was no space (there was) so again the roller with laptop went into the hole.

Surely the airline broke the law here?! Or is Lithium Ion not actually a law/regulation?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond
From what I understand, lithium batteries under 100 Watts in laptops installed in the device are not banned by US law. The issue had stemmed from spare lithium batteries stored in suitcases which came into contact with metal and short circuited. Small lithiums aren't the issue, and the FAA allows customers to store larger ones as long as they can show that the contacts are taped. Canadian law might vary though.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org..._batteries.pdf

Last edited by bitterproffit; Mar 21, 2017 at 5:08 am Reason: added point about Canadian law vs FAA regulations
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Originally Posted by eigenvector
As this topic is under discussion elsewhere on FT and given AC isn't affected by this ban I'll close this thread.

tcook052
AC forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.