Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Surcharges - How are they calculated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

I searched AC FT for a generic thread on Air Canada's "Surcharges" and "Carrier Surcharges". Threads that had the word "surcharge" in the title turned out to be questions related to Aeroplan tickets. (There are a number of threads that showed up in the search but the thread titles were things like the "complaints" thread)

NOTE: Should anyone want to post questions related to AC's Surcharges, I kept the thread title generic so it can be searched and other questions added.
-----

So....

I noticed that "Carrier Surcharges" have increased on HKG tickets over the past 14 months. "Surcharges" have remained mostly the same.

I also notice that some numbers are missing from the AC Detailed Summary page when in the process of buying the ticket (on AC.com). Since I take screen shots, I can go back and compare the pages from the booking process as well as the tickets that were issued for those bookings.

I put together a small chart with dates of months where I flew and in some months, there were multiple trips. Since the numbers matched on those multiple tickets in those specific months, I did not list them separately.

Things that seem strange:

1. For the AC ticket in July 2016, on both the screen shot summary and the ticket, there is only a single line showing $108.12 under "surcharges". Even if it would include both categories, that amount is very high. I had a CX ticket from a week prior that month, and their "Carrier Surcharge" was $37.60.

So what type of accounting produced $108.12?

2. As you can see, "Carrier Surcharges" are missing on the chart for September 2016 (there were multiple trips).

Did AC not charge them, or did they blend them in to the Base Fare?

3. Looking at tickets for June 2017, I see the "Surcharge" is within range, but the "Carrier Surcharge" has increased quite a bit.

Not wanting to blame AC for this until I went looking, I checked CX and AA on routes YYZ-HKG (AA via DFW). They are all showing the $82.60 "Carrier Surcharge", so I assumed it's related to HKG. (CX website had a page on these surcharges, detailed by destination).

Since this is my own make-work project because the different numbers caught my attention, does anyone know why the AC numbers either show, don't show, or are missing?

Thanks.

Attached Images  
KetoStan likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
'Surcharges' originate from Category 12 of the fare rules for the particular fare components on the ticket. They show up in the fare calculation ladder with a letter 'Q'. They can be charged for many reasons including but not limited to: fuel, insurance, navigation, peak travel, sector, seasons, security, equipment type or category, airport/terminal, RBD, validating carrier, waiver of other fare rules such as advance purchase, min/max stay etc, and of course: miscellaneous.

Because 'Q' surcharges are part of the fare, they can earn commission on commission-eligible fares, and interline to other carriers. To make changes to 'Q' surcharges requires the fare itself to be republished.

'Carrier Surcharges' (or imposed fees) are the fancy name given to YQ and YR. They are imposed for a more limited set of items - namely fuel, insurance, and miscellaneous/other. They also show up as part of the 'tax' calculation on the ticket.

Unlike 'Q' surcharges which are imposed by the fare owner, YQ and YR are imposed by the marketing carrier based on various conditions including sectors, journey/trip/destination, fare type, RBD, and government regulations in various countries limiting the amount of these types of surcharges.

YQ and YR amounts and rules are filed separately from fares which allows them to be updated without having to republish fares. The rules for calculating YQ and YR can be very complex especially when multiple marketing carriers are involved. As well, when flights are marketed by carrier A and ticketed by carrier B, carrier A and B need to have a bilateral agreement for carrier B to collect the YQ/YR for carrier A, and such agreements may not cover all situations. This can result in vastly different YQ/YR being charged on a mixed-carrier itinerary depending on who issues the ticket, or whether flights are booked as codeshares or not.

Regarding your specific questions on HKG trips, this is fairly easy to explain.

The $7-8 CAD surcharge is the 45 HKD sector surcharge collected on the HKG-Canada segment that AC (or all airlines, really) pays to HKG for security. This amount varies on all of the tickets because of currency fluctuations.

The extra $100 for your July 2016 ticket is likely a peak travel surcharge. I don't know your exact fare but this did seem to exist in some AC fares last year:

Code:
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG 
 34   ZXCSTT         Z R  3814.00        T31MY  -/‡  -/12M PA01 
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES               
FROM-YTO TO-HKG    CXR-AC    TVL-15JUL16  RULE-BAC1 IPRP/3      
FARE BASIS-ZXCSTT            SPECIAL FARE  DIS-E   VENDOR-ATP   
FARE TYPE-BX      RT-BUSINESS CLASS EXCURSION                   
CAD  3814.00  0301  E30APR16 D-INFINITY   FC-ZXCSTT  FN-2B      
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 29APR16/1521  EXPIRES 13JUN16/1122       

12.SURCHARGES                                                   
   IF INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2.                       
     THERE IS NO MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE PER              
     DIRECTION PER ANY PASSENGER.                               
   IF CONTRACT BULK INFANT PSGR UNDER 2.                        
     DIRECTION PER ANY PASSENGER.                               
   IF INCLUSIVE TOUR INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2.        
     DIRECTION PER ANY PASSENGER.                              ‡
MD«                                                             
   ORIGINATING CANADA INBOUND -                                ‡
     SEASONAL SURCHARGE OF CAD 300.00 WILL BE ADDED TO          
     THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ANY PASSENGER FROM 01JAN           
     THROUGH 10JAN.                                             
     AND - SEASONAL SURCHARGE OF CAD 100.00 WILL BE ADDED       
           TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ANY PASSENGER FROM        
           27APR THROUGH 29APR.                                 
     AND - SEASONAL SURCHARGE OF CAD 100.00 WILL BE ADDED       
           01JUL THROUGH 31JUL.                                 
     AND - SEASONAL SURCHARGE OF CAD 300.00 WILL BE ADDED       
           01AUG THROUGH 17AUG.                                 
     AND - SEASONAL SURCHARGE OF CAD 450.00 WILL BE ADDED       
           18AUG THROUGH 24AUG.                                 
     AND - SEASONAL SURCHARGE OF CAD 600.00 WILL BE ADDED       
           25AUG THROUGH 05SEP.                                ‡
MD«                                                             
     AND - SEASONAL SURCHARGE OF CAD 300.00 WILL BE ADDED      ‡
           06SEP THROUGH 11SEP.                                 
   FROM HKG TO YYZ, SECTOR SURCHARGE OF HKD 45 APPLIES.
For the Carrier Surcharge (YQ), Hong Kong regulates the amounts that can be charged. For a good portion of 2016, the amount that could be charged on Canada-HK trips was 0. They only came back in late 2016.
KetoStan likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

@D582

Thanks for the detailed and informative reply. ^

All tickets were P fares or P/Z fares and were a similar price-point. Since the $7-8 "surcharges" were consistent, I focused on the odd items.

The $108.12 listed under "surcharges" for July last year makes no sense to me from a detail perspective as there is no "Carrier Surcharges" line on the ticket or screen shot of the booking AND it is not charged on the CX ticket from the same time. So, if AC was charging a "peak surcharge" for last July, CX was not on the exact same route.

Also, I still don't know how the "Carrier Surcharge" line item is also missing from all of the September tickets, so I assumed AC built it into the fare.

I posted on this forum last year that HKG was charging an additional fee to cover the costs for the planned third runway. I'm sure that cost is buried in there somewhere.

Thanks again.

P.S. I found the CX chart on their site quite helpful as it breaks it down

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-updates.html
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you're still unsure about anything, I'd read D582's post again, because it explained every number (or lack thereof) in your chart.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:22 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
@D582

Thanks for the detailed and informative reply. ^
+1
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
+1
+2
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I have a photo of the actual system that AC uses to determine the carrier surcharge:

eigenvector and pmaclell like this.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by canopus27
I have a photo of the actual system that AC uses to determine the carrier surcharge:

I thought they used 3d6, rending on 6s.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I thought they used 3d6, rending on 6s.
I thought it was a dart board that was used at the end of each month to determine the following months charges.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 24left
@D582

The $108.12 listed under "surcharges" for July last year makes no sense to me from a detail perspective as there is no "Carrier Surcharges" line on the ticket or screen shot of the booking AND it is not charged on the CX ticket from the same time. So, if AC was charging a "peak surcharge" for last July, CX was not on the exact same route.
The Peak/Seasonal surcharge is simply a 'fare surcharge' to allow for different pricing depending on travel date. This enables the airline to publish one base fare that is valid for a long time, and then add surcharges to it depending on the travel date. The other alternative is to publish a bunch of different fares for different travel dates, but using the surcharge approach makes this much more manageable.

How CX chooses to publish their fares can be totally different than AC. Also, sometimes carriers will list 'Base Fare' on their websites that is inclusive of the fare surcharges, and you can only see the breakdown in the fare calculation line.

Also, I still don't know how the "Carrier Surcharge" line item is also missing from all of the September tickets, so I assumed AC built it into the fare.
Because HK did not permit YQ/YR at that time. AC could have increased their fares to compensate, or not.

I posted on this forum last year that HKG was charging an additional fee to cover the costs for the planned third runway. I'm sure that cost is buried in there somewhere.
The runway construction fee is charged as a tax on the ticket (code G3).

Code:
TAX CODE         TAX NAME                                       
G3               AIRPORT CONSTRUCTION FEE                       

COUNTRY CODE     COUNTRY NAME                                   
HK               HONG KONG SAR CHINA                            
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

@D582

Once again, extremely helpful in understanding where some of the charges come from. Thanks. ^^
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
If (seat will still sell)
++1 YQ.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
In looking at AC fares between Canada and the US on ITA, there is no YQ shown. In that case, can another Star Alliance carrier charge YQ for a transborder award ticket on AC?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

"Carrier Surcharge - Canada"

I started this thread in March 2017 specifically for questions related to Carrier Surcharges on Air Canada paid tickets, not Aeroplan tickets (as I wrote in my opening line)

Thanks to great answers from @D582, we all got a better understanding of this.

---------------------

Recently, I was looking at tickets to destinations in Asia, e.g. HKG, PVG, NRT etc

I looked at fares, got to the summary page, clicked details and saw "Carrier Surcharge - Canada". And it was pretty high, almost like some European destinations. I know these amount were not on tickets a few months ago.

So I pulled all the tickets to HKG and here is what the summary pages look like on the dates I listed.

March 2018 - YYZ-HKG

May 2018 - YYZ-HKG #1

May 2018 - YYZ-HKG #2

May 2018 - YYZ-HKG #3

November 2018 for dates in January 2019

NOTE: This is where I noticed the new description "Carrier Surcharge - Canada"

There are those who say that Carrier Surcharges are the way AC or airlines add a cost increase.

It caught my attention as the destinations I checked all now have it, the amounts are anywhere from $350- to almost $500 depending on route.

While AQD is not affected, it means any promo code you have will still be 15% or whatever, but the actual dollar amount of the discount will be less since the Base Fare is less.

BTW, I also checked CX and this is their recent Furl Surcharge page . Numbers are not the same as AC

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-updates.html

So, why does AC now have these Carrier Surcharges?

I am sure there are reasons but I did some searching and found this PDF dated Nov 16, 2018

International Carrier Surcharge – AC Application

AC rule: 0115

Outlines the AC application of a YQ International carrier surcharge as part of AC Carrier surcharges and lists the amounts for Western Hemisphere, Transpacific and Transatlantic travel.

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...rule115_en.pdf

Perhaps someone can explain it. Thanks
KetoStan likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there is anything to explain. Simply, the page you quote is what AC has decided to charge you as YQ, end of the story.

Why these figures? Why not? Because they can...

In addition to these (1) being outside discounts, (2) not contributing to TA fees, and (3) being charged on rewards, they are under their total control, which the "fare" portion of the total fare is not quite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.