Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

ESSO - 25% Bonus Aeroplan (March 13 to July 3, 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:21 am
alc
Original Poster

I couple days ago after I fill up at an ESSO gas station, I noticed the receipt state +25% right beside the number of miles I will be getting. I didn't search for it until today and found it is 1 month promo from ESSO:

Fill up on bonus miles

Whether you're on the road for the weekend or the week, now you can earn 25% more bonus miles at Esso™ stations. Simply add an eligible* in‑store item to your fuel purchase in the same transaction and swipe your Aeroplan card in the same minimum payment transaction† to earn bonus miles. A minimum spend of $12 is required.

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Offer available March 13 to April 3, 2017 at participating Esso™ stations. Aeroplan Card must be swiped at the time of purchase to earn miles. To be eligible for the 25% bonus, you must make an in‑store purchase of fuel and an eligible* in‑store item in the same payment transaction or purchase fuel in‑store or at the pump and a car wash in the same payment transaction†. Bonus miles must be issued in full; no half miles will be awarded. Bonus miles will be added to your account within 4 business days and will not appear on receipt at time of purchase.

†Minimum combined purchase of $12 required to earn 25% more Aeroplan Miles.

*Some exclusions apply, including purchases of tobacco, alcohol and Esso Gift Cards.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Boo you need to purchase something in the store!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Boo you need to purchase something in the store!
Not only that - sounds like you can't pay at the pump to take advantage of this.

But on the bright side, you get extra points, and they could be worth as much as a few cents!

Must admit I don't understand why anyone would go out of their way to get points at esso unless it's the only transaction of the year ...
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by PB53x11
Not only that - sounds like you can't pay at the pump to take advantage of this.

But on the bright side, you get extra points, and they could be worth as much as a few cents!

Must admit I don't understand why anyone would go out of their way to get points at esso unless it's the only transaction of the year ...

Thought I read that you must make an "in-store" purchase. I hardly ever go in the store, unless I need to pee all their stuff are over priced. OR maybe if I feel like buying a lottery.

I personally only use Esso, and since I use Premium gas I get 1 mile per $1 technically but its based on $3 spend for Aeroplan. I also have Esso Extra which I get 3 points per $1 (Premium gas), plus I have RBC Infinite card. Meaning I can transfer my Esso points to RBC points. Good for revenue flights but some can covert it to Avios for 50% more.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We should be tankfull for the 25% bonus AE miles.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Thought I read that you must make an "in-store" purchase.
You do. But it also says same transaction (twice!) which I assume means you can't pay at the pump.

"Simply add an eligible* in‑store item to your fuel purchase in the same transaction and swipe your Aeroplan card in the same minimum payment transaction† to earn bonus miles"
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by PB53x11
Well if you are using both an Aeroplan credit card and swiping your Aeroplan card, then you could be earning >3% return on your spend, that would be a good reason to not be using another card.

Ex. $50 transaction = 16 Aeroplan miles (3:1) + Earn 1.50/$1 on Aeroplan Infinite Privilege card is another 75 miles for a total of 91 Aeroplan miles.

If you value the miles at 2 cents each which many here do, then that return is $1.82 or 3.6%.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by TOR27
Well if you are using both an Aeroplan credit card and swiping your Aeroplan card, then you could be earning >3% return on your spend, that would be a good reason to not be using another card.

Ex. $50 transaction = 16 Aeroplan miles (3:1) + Earn 1.50/$1 on Aeroplan Infinite Privilege card is another 75 miles for a total of 91 Aeroplan miles.

If you value the miles at 2 cents each which many here do, then that return is $1.82 or 3.6%.
Sure, but wouldn't you get the 75 miles regardless of where you buy the gas, in which case you are going out of your way (at least some of the time) to get 16 points?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Fair point. I guess it comes down to how "out of the way" it is for you. If it's the difference between turning left and turning right, then maybe you go left for the extra 0.6%
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:12 am
alc
Original Poster

I paid at the pump on Monday with Fuel only (Diesel in my case) of $30 and under the "MILES:" line it state "10 25% BONUS IN 72hr"
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:21 am

Will they round up or down on a $15 transaction?

My last couple shops at Safeway have earned me $.09/litre discounts at Shell. The Esso offer can't compete.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by tracon

My last couple shops at Safeway have earned me $.09/litre discounts at Shell. The Esso offer can't compete.
Down both Esso Extra points and Aeroplan.

This is why gets annoying sometimes for Aeroplan when filling up gas, in order to maximize your points you need to have your total $ to be divisible by $3 if not you wont get that extra point.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:22 pm
alc
Original Poster

and for this promo, need to be multiple of $12 as T&C stated, no half mile.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by tracon

If you are paying Safeway prices, you are paying that 9 cents a litre one way or another
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
If you drive a motor vehicle you have to buy gas so might as well benefit. I usually buy my gas in multiples of $3 from Esso to maximize point activity. As previously stated:
Ex. $50 transaction = 16 Aeroplan miles (3:1) + Earn 2/$1 on AMEX card is another 100 miles for a total of 116 Aeroplan miles for $50.

I recently found some Christmas ESSO Gift cards which include a separate card for 5 cent off 100 litres. I bought $700 (7 X $100) which gave me 1,400 Aeroplan points as I used my AMEX card. As I use the gift cards I get 3:1 again from ESSO and I save 5 cents a litre so you have to do the math in your head while pumping to maximize the multiple of $3! With fuel at 93.5 cents a litre in my area, every little bit helps.

25% bonus well I guess Lottery tickets, perhaps a phone card and maybe car wash as most things are priced too high! I will actually need to spend a few minutes in the store looking at what is the best value for a $12 purchase.

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Mar 16, 2017 at 7:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.