Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

collecting missing miles on SAA for Aeroplan

Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTPP

I have 3 scheduled internal flights on South African Airways and I wanted to use my e ticket numbers to collect my missing miles on Aeroplan. The e ticket numbers on SAA are all 14 digits and when I try to put those numbers into missing miles on my Aeroplan account, it will only take 13 digits and therefore it creates an error. Can anyone explain how I rectify this situation?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Safti
I have 3 scheduled internal flights on South African Airways and I wanted to use my e ticket numbers to collect my missing miles on Aeroplan. The e ticket numbers on SAA are all 14 digits and when I try to put those numbers into missing miles on my Aeroplan account, it will only take 13 digits and therefore it creates an error. Can anyone explain how I rectify this situation?
Ticket number should be 014 215657857145 thus first, three digits indicating the issuing airline, then 12 digits. Total of 15. The form takes this. Make sure there is no blank space in front or in the middle.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Uh, my AC tickets look like 0141234567890. 13 digits.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Uh, my AC tickets look like 0141234567890. 13 digits.
You are right. In my example the last 01 is likely the coupon or leg number. Grabbed from a boarding pass, non-AC. Ticket does not have it.

Something similar likely occurs with the OP's ticket.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

My e tickets on SAA begin with a 10 or 40 or 20. They total 14 numbers which is why I suspect AP won't take them. Any suggestions about what to do?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:24 pm

SAA tickets should begin with 083 if I'm not mistaken.

At the very least, the first three numbers indicate the airline, so it wouldn't vary between bookings.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Very interesting. I may have to contact SAA to find out why my tickets are 14 digits and begin with different numbers than you said.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

You know, I'm just noticing that there is a number in front of 083 and that's the number that I keep putting into my AP account. I'm going to try again and put it in with 083 starting number. See what happens that way.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Safti
My e tickets on SAA begin with a 10 or 40 or 20. They total 14 numbers which is why I suspect AP won't take them. Any suggestions about what to do?
Something is wrong here. Cow is right, SAA stock starts with 083. There are a few airlines with number starting with 10. 105 Finnair, 108 Icelandair, BWIA 106, plus a few veruy obscure ones. With 20, ANA 205, plus very obscure ones. Nothing relevant with 40x. Obscure ones are unrelated to Africa aprt from Air Zaire, 207.

In any event, tickets issued by SAA should start with 083, period. Different first three digits means ticket was issued by a different airline, even if flights are SAA.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Something is wrong here. Cow is right
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks CanadianCow. That did the trick. I submitted leaving the first number off and then there were 13 numbers left beginning with 083. They all seemed to go through successfully and we wait for a week to see what happens. Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Good luck, I'm still waiting on my miles from SAA from January. Over 7000 miles too. I've heard they're really bad crediting miles and I'm starting to believe them.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
SAA missing miles...con't problem?

I tried the search function but remember seeing people were having difficulties with SAA crediting miles.

I recently flew AC codeshare LHR-JNB, JNB-CPT, and LX codeshare still pts qualifying WDH-JNB. I also booked a separate ticket CPT-WDH.

None of the flights posted on aeroplan so I requested them using the missing miles...oddly enough the CPT-WDH posted only a few days later.

I called aeroplan to ask them what the deal was (now 4 weeks from the flights and 2 weeks after requesting) and they said they have had lots of issues w/ SAA crediting miles and that I have to upload my docs etc. and that it'll take 8-12 weeks total.

That is absurd and ridiculous. Any of you more frequent fliers run into this problem still? I asked her why nothing has been done she had no good answer. The status quo of mediocrity remains. Oh how I love thee aeropesos.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:57 am
Original Poster

I went onto the AP website and i left the first number off of my e ticket. Therefore, the ticket started in 083. That seemed to work just fine. They credited me with all (three) of my outstanding flights within 3 days. It worked. Thanks for all of your help.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Chowtime
Good luck, I'm still waiting on my miles from SAA from January. Over 7000 miles too. I've heard they're really bad crediting miles and I'm starting to believe them.
Did you ever get credited?

I flew Feb 9th LHR-JNB, JNB-CPT, and Feb 21 WDH-JNB.
I requested mileage credit Feb 25th and then 2 weeks after Feb 21st. I then called in and then uploaded my proof of travel. Then I called in mid-March and was told they were waiting on SAA and it would take another 6-8 weeks after they received this.

At the same time my bud who was with me had his credited within a week. He was booked on an eticket from flightnetwork with 014 AC routing.

I was booked on united 016.

Long story short it's now July 14th, and they say June 20th it was sent higher up etc etc and I need to wait 10 weeks FURTHER. Now on hold for a supervisor.

This is an absolute disgrace. While it very likely is SAA's fault I have no idea why AP can't just credit me then chase those guys down. At the end of 10 weeks it'll have been 7 months since the date of my flights. Ridiculous, and I likely will get early 35k with those segs.

Any pros with any tips? Thanks!

Last edited by canadianhockey91; Jul 14, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.