Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan confirmation number different from United - why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Not sure whether this is best suited for the Aeroplan, United or Star Alliance forum but it's a (recurring) issue for me with Aeroplan award tickets so figured I'd start here. I normally redeem Aeroplan awards for travel on United. However, the Aeroplan PNR/confirmation number doesn't work to lookup a flight (and change seats, etc) with United, which seems to have their own PNR that is totally different than the one Aeroplan sends me. Is there any way to find my United PNR online short of calling them? I have no status with United so that always entails a very long hold time...
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You can call either Aeroplan, Air Canada, or United, and they can all tell you.

The reason it's different is basically that they use different reservation systems.

I've had bookings with at least 3 different references.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
If a ticket involves multiple airlines, it is quite common that each airline has a different PNR, especially if thoe airlines use different reservation systems (e.g. Amadeus, Sabre etc.)

What is always the same is the ticket number.

You should be able to access the reservation on the UA website using the ticket number (014xxxxxxxxxxx) and in turn see the six digit alpha-numeric UA booking reference)
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
If a ticket involves multiple airlines, it is quite common that each airline has a different PNR, especially if thoe airlines use different reservation systems (e.g. Amadeus, Sabre etc.)

What is always the same is the ticket number.

You should be able to access the reservation on the UA website using the ticket number (014xxxxxxxxxxx) and in turn see the six digit alpha-numeric UA booking reference)
Thanks. I've searched around at UA website but can't seem to find an option to lookup a reservation with the ticket number, do you happen to know where I might so that? Appreciate the assistance.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why make thingssimple if you can make them complicated?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:07 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Thanks. I've searched around at UA website but can't seem to find an option to lookup a reservation with the ticket number, do you happen to know where I might so that? Appreciate the assistance.
I think Jasper may be incorrect on accessing the booking on the UA site. You can check in with a ticket number, but I can't find a way to pull up a booking based on ticket number alone.

A phone call to UA is usually fairly quick. You may even be able to get the PNR through the automated system, without having to talk to someone.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think Jasper may be incorrect on accessing the booking on the UA site. You can check in with a ticket number, but I can't find a way to pull up a booking based on ticket number alone.

A phone call to UA is usually fairly quick. You may even be able to get the PNR through the automated system, without having to talk to someone.
It used to be a feature on the old UA site but I think it's gone now. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Anyway, I don't know why Aeroplan and AC.com don't automatically spit out the partner record locators. Most other airlines do it.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by eigenvector
It used to be a feature on the old UA site but I think it's gone now. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Anyway, I don't know why Aeroplan and AC.com don't automatically spit out the partner record locators. Most other airlines do it.
"Most"? The LH group don't. NZ doesn't. DL doesn't seem to. I don't fly a ton of different carriers, but the only one I've seen do it is UA...
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
"Most"? The LH group don't. NZ doesn't. DL doesn't seem to. I don't fly a ton of different carriers, but the only one I've seen do it is UA...
I guess the subjective "most" as in "most of the carriers I've flown recently"...
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: SEMM
You can get it easily by going to the Star Alliance website and applying for a Star Alliance upgrade.....in the process of telling you that your booking is not eligible for an upgrade, it also spits out the partner's PNR
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
This is correct. Even airlines that massively codeshare a lot, like WestJet and Alaska, do not tell you partner PNRs.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by scoubit
You can get it easily by going to the Star Alliance website and applying for a Star Alliance upgrade.....in the process of telling you that your booking is not eligible for an upgrade, it also spits out the partner's PNR
Is this true? I have not used SAU in a few years, but if this works, I can save lots of time calling in.
Do you have a link?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
call in

This is not new. All carriers operate this way.

Call and get the PNR. It is worth it - esp. if AP is involved, as they won't have your seat preferences.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
A3 does include OAL PNR's on their award tickets as well.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I've treated it as an article of faith for some time now that when booking, to always ask for PNRs for all relevant carriers on an itinerary. Then I periodically check each of those carriers' websites to make sure that nothing has changed with my booking.

There have been a couple of occasions where something significant has changed on segments involving one carrier, and I would never know it by just pulling up the reservation on Aeroplan. I've avoided unpleasant surprises at the terminal that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.