Search

Italy trip question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, *Alliance Gold, Marriott Elite Silver
Italy trip question

Hi all,

Typically I book mini-RTW which is relatively easy to do within Star Alliance. I've also traveled to Turkey (Turkish Air is part of Star Alliance), which was fine.

I'd like to travel to Italy and I am having a heck of a time figuring out if I can fly within Italy with aeroplan. It seems like I might have to book my own train / air travel within Italy, but still wanted to confirm if that's the case.

Do you guys have any ideas?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, Nexus
Train or if you are up to it, drive. Have had many a great trip this way in Italy.
Rome2Rio is a good starting place for planning.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
There are no intra-Italy flights operated by *A airlines or AE partner airlines.

Driving, taking the train/bus or booking a domestic flight on Alitalia are probably your best bets.

Two other options:

1) Fly into GVA, which *may* be semi-convenient for Northern Italy
2) choose a destination further East and have a stopover in Italy both ways, e.g. NA-MXPx-ATH/ISTx-FCOx-NA
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Drive!

Our family did a five-day stop in Rome, and then we spent 12 days driving to Geneva, stopping in 3 Siena, Parma and then the Como area before crossing into CH. The driving was excellent, and except for Rome, pretty stress and drama-free. Highly recommend for going where you want to go, when you want to go.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
The driving was excellent, and except for Rome, pretty stress and drama-free.
Was expecting chaos and drama in Rome, but I've had more driving stress in the Costco parking lot on a Saturday. Just park your Canadian timidity, go with the flow and try to 'think like an Italian'. Nobody's trying to hit you, and unless camped in the left lane on the autostrada, everyone will respect your space. You'll just have less of it, that's all.

Now navigating Tangiers in a GPS-less rental car...that's an adventure.

My suggestion is to drive or train within Italy, unless you need to get between Palermo and Torino in a hurry.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question off the beaten track in Italy?

I (too) am planning a trip to Italy this summer.

Intra-Italy fliights are a no go. Rail Europe has great service & good ticket prices.

To/from Italy, I discovered the best transcontinental fares are into MXP. f

FYI, I went to the NYT Travel Show session on Italy last week, and the room was packed i.e. everyone is going to Italy this year (read : avoiding France). Their advice? Go off the beaten track.

Advice and suggestions welcome?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Advice and suggestions welcome?
Apulia.

(but nowhere in Italy is off the beaten track in August).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: aeroplan
August is not a great time to go to Italy. Every Italian is on vacation and lots of places are closed.

I recommend the train. I prefer Italo if they go to the destination of your choice. They have a variety of seating, are quieter than most Trenitalia trains and they have a very easy to use website which is available in English.

http://www.italotreno.it/en
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:55 pm

Not sure if this helps you but I just booked Italy on Aeroplan points in August and used the multi-city feature. I'm flying into Rome and out of Florence. Otherwise I plan to use the train to get around in Italy.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:06 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Even if you could fly within Italy on *A, I wouldn't want to. The distances are short and train stations are central, so the train is a much better option.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Even if you could fly within Italy on *A, I wouldn't want to. The distances are short and train stations are central, so the train is a much better option.
Agreed. Just did two weeks in Italy over Christmas. Fly in/out of whichever location you like, but train between cities. For us, we walked from to/from our hotel in Rome/Florence in 10-15 mins, 15 mins before our train, and arrived at our next hotel usually within 2 hours. The central locations can't be beat.

Flying would have cost more, plus time to/from airport, etc.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Not sure where in Italy you would like to go. Abbruzio and Pulia are wonderful and less congested. Sicily is amazing. I'd go back in a flash.

Agree with others that August is not the best time to go. Very hot, congested and expensive. Unless you are staying somewhere more high end, you might not or probably won't get air con.

Beware of traffic, should you be driving, on the first and last weekends of August. If you could delay a couple of weeks it would make a big difference, got a terrific hotel deal, for example, the last week of August when attending a meeting. Carried on elsewhere to vacation and no problem with availability and pricing better.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:13 pm

To be fair to the OP, I don't think he stated he was planning a trip in August. It was me who intimated that "nowhere is off the beaten track", meaning it's not a great time to travel due to the entire country taking holidays and places being unbearably crowded and expensive. Same goes for Spain, France and I'm sure many other Euro countries.

Hey vancouvercanadian: welcome to FT!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vancouvercanadian
Not sure if this helps you but I just booked Italy on Aeroplan points in August and used the multi-city feature. I'm flying into Rome and out of Florence. Otherwise I plan to use the train to get around in Italy.
It does help me, thank you!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
To be fair to the OP, I don't think he stated he was planning a trip in August. It was me who intimated that "nowhere is off the beaten track", meaning it's not a great time to travel due to the entire country taking holidays and places being unbearably crowded and expensive. Same goes for Spain, France and I'm sure many other Euro countries.

Hey vancouvercanadian: welcome to FT!
Actually (sadly?) my dates *are* August. For the honeymoon. Fly out of YYZ on Aug 6th for 12 days including travel.

I might look into other cities. One other option was to do Prague, Venice and one more Euro city ... and make it a relaxing honeymoon where we're basically mostly staying in the city. Just hang out, eat, chill.

(we're not all-inclusive or 'lets spend 10 days at a beach' people)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.