Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of concierge pay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Good question. And a better related question may be how those with 20 years of experience in the job providing (if the history here is valid) quality service feel being supplemented by those getting paid nothing with zero training and experience.
All you have to do is listen to them.

You will get a range of answers but all of them I have heard could be summarized as "not good". And no I didn't actually ask a question like "so how does it feel being screwed over and supplanted by somebody making 1/3 the wage?" Many will just volunteer the information.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:41 pm
Original Member

When Canadi>n Airlines conceived began the concierge service, the concierges were drawn from the ranks of experienced front line people with a pronounced vocation for customer service. They were paid extra, and it was seen as a prestigious position. (I believe it was "conceived" by AA, and brought to CP when the two had true reciprocity - as in I had access to the AA top tier phone number and could use my CP stickers to upgrade on AA, and vice versa.)

The position now appears to be between the fry cook and the person who flips the burgers.

Just one more thing that has been commoditized.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by expert7700
in addition to the bilingual preference and prior airline ticket/customer service preference, the ineed posting also REQUIRES:

Possess a valid provincial driver's license (G2) and a valid Airside Vehicle Operator’s Permit (AVOP)

should we assume Airside vehicle permits are handed out for free, like candy? or is this a pre application cost?
I hold an AVOP at YKF, and there was no cost. $50 deposit that I will get back when I turn in my AVOP after leaving my job. My employer assisted me
in the AVOP application, and I assume AC would do the same. You can’t get an AVOP without being employed at the airport or having a valid need to drive on the airport surface in vehicle.

Also hard to believe that I make more Fuelling aircraft ($14.00) than an AC concierge does.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer

Also hard to believe that I make more Fuelling aircraft ($14.00) than an AC concierge does.
This thread was created when the starting salary was $13.49/hr, but now it seems to have been bumped up to $14.00/hr.

So you should be happy to know that you make the same as an AC Concierge (or an AC Concierge makes the same as you).
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
This thread was created when the starting salary was $13.49/hr, but now it seems to have been bumped up to $14.00/hr.

So you should be happy to know that you make the same as an AC Concierge (or an AC Concierge makes the same as you).
At least the (new) AC YYZ concierges ...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

A much better comparison is between the Concierge at a high end hotel and the one at AC. I would not be surprised to a see a hotel Concierge make minimum wage. However his/her compensation would likely be augmented with tips something that AC concierge do not receive.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:06 pm

Concierges are merely a category of Customer Sales & Service Agents, and are therefore covered by the Unifor Local 2002 contract.

You can find all the rates of pay, benefits, etc... here: http://www.unifor2002.org/getattachm...5-2020_en.aspx
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
$14/hour less union dues.

Dig up.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
A much better comparison is between the Concierge at a high end hotel and the one at AC. I would not be surprised to a see a hotel Concierge make minimum wage. However his/her compensation would likely be augmented with tips something that AC concierge do not receive.
Gosh, I'd give them a tip for every time they answer a phone!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Gosh, I'd give them a tip for every time they answer a phone!
And you wouldn't be a penny poorer these days.
jc94 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Management salaries.
Maybe at the top. Middle management also seems to be an average gig at AC
https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Air-Canada...ory=management
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: *$ Green
Didn't someone recently post an IT manager position at AC between $44K-$77K?

I wonder closest to which part of the range they actually pay. Either they have 1,000 relevant CV per job posting, or AC is leading the industry in title creep.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

For those who don't follow Ontario goings-on, $14/hr is minimum wage as of January 1, 2018.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by RangerNS
$14/hour less union dues.

Dig up.
If there were no unions, everyone not in management at AC would be making $14/hour
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by eigenvector
For those who don't follow Ontario goings-on, $14/hr is minimum wage as of January 1, 2018.
I guess we'll have more to talk about when someone posts "Concierges make $15.00/hr?" in 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.