Wiki Posts
Search

Standby and Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arf04
An observation: I tried to get the agent at the correspondence desk, and also the one at the MLL, to add us to the upgrade list (using the script!) and both told me that the file shows that we are to be added, all is ok, etc., but they didn’t add us and said to check at the gate. I shall do that, but in any case the current list on the app is showing 5 on the list, 3 already upgraded, 13 booked, and 10 checked in, so chances are slim anyway for a couple of E35s. It’s only a short hop anyhow...
Do not wait until the gate. You need to be on the list when PDM runs or you have zero chance of getting the seats.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
An observation: I tried to get the agent at the correspondence desk, and also the one at the MLL, to add us to the upgrade list (using the script!) and both told me that the file shows that we are to be added, all is ok, etc., but they didn’t add us and said to check at the gate. I shall do that, but in any case the current list on the app is showing 5 on the list, 3 already upgraded, 13 booked, and 10 checked in, so chances are slim anyway for a couple of E35s. It’s only a short hop anyhow...
As per cow, you need to do it asap. (that is, asap does not necessarily mean what an AC employee tells you)

I've been successful doing this with MLL agents (with or without the "script").
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Do not wait until the gate. You need to be on the list when PDM runs or you have zero chance of getting the seats.
Is there any chance anyhow given what the list looks like now? If not, I won’t bother trying to convince someone to get us on the magical list.

I do do appreciate the advice from all, however...
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Is there any chance anyhow given what the list looks like now? If not, I won’t bother trying to convince someone to get us on the magical list.

I do do appreciate the advice from all, however...
I helped an E50K do this once and he was ordered as numero uno on a long list, for a YYZYVR widebody morning flight. So just because you're E35K doesn't necessarily mean you'll be near bottom of the list, but that could happen too.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I helped an E50K do this once and he was ordered as numero uno on a long list, for a YYZYVR widebody morning flight. So just because you're E35K doesn't necessarily mean you'll be near bottom of the list, but that could happen too.
If I can roust myself out of my seat I’ll go give it another try shortly... In the last few years as an E50/E75, and now recently with the new lower level, I haven’t had success with gate upgrades of any kind—only at booking with latitude tickets.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I can roust myself out of my seat I’ll go give it another try shortly... In the last few years as an E50/E75, and now recently with the new lower level, I haven’t had success with gate upgrades of any kind—only at booking with latitude tickets.
Sure, I hear ya.

But you'll never know until you try.

(and if you become rock bottom on the list, at least you'll know )
arf04 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:29 pm

In the interests of science, I went and got us added to the list. Oddly, I’m #4 and my wife is #6 . There are 9 on the list right now.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the interests of science, I went and got us added to the list. Oddly, I’m #4 and my wife is #6 . There are 9 on the list right now.
Well, good luck.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, good luck.
With your wife. :-) At least if No.4 makes it but 6 does not.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
With your wife. :-) At least if No.4 makes it but 6 does not.
I told her I would switch with her...
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:55 pm

Well, good luck.
No upgrade in the end. All was fine in the back...

A little OT, but lots of confusion over what was supposed to happen with our checked bag. In MUC, it was tagged through to YQR (on a flight tomorrow) but I was told I’d be collecting it at YYZ and rechecking it. At YUL I asked about the bag and was assured I would have to pick it up. This was my understanding all along about checked bags and overnight connecting flights. At YYZ, the bag doesn’t come up (and we waste 20 minutes waiting for it). At the baggage desk I’m told that for sure it is being held for tomorrow’s flight. We shall see!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No upgrade in the end. All was fine in the back...
When did you board during the boarding process?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:07 pm

When did you board during the boarding process?
We went with Zone 2. I thought about waiting in case of YBYL, but we didn’t do so in the end. It was full up front, and the last 2 to board were AC pilots. I felt like I had a duty to check
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We went with Zone 2. I thought about waiting in case of YBYL, but we didn’t do so in the end. It was full up front, and the last 2 to board were AC pilots. I felt like I had a duty to check
Well, sorry it didn't work out for you... sounds like you were somewhat on the bubble though.
And thanks for trying and reporting back to us!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:26 pm

Well, sorry it didn't work out for you... sounds like you were somewhat on the bubble though.
And thanks for trying and reporting back to us!

Thanks to you and Mr. Cow for the help. When one runs into inconsistencies on procedures it can be hard to know what to do (such as with our checked bag, which actually turned up in YQR this morning despite the three different versions by AC staff of what was supposed to happen to it).

The YUL-YYZ aircraft was one of those rather ratty A320s. The IFE didn’t work, my reading light kept going on and off, and the cabin lights flickered periodically. Gotta love AC sometimes!
skybluesea likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.