Standby and Upgrade List

Old May 18, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by philelite
Public upgrade list not in sync with gate list – almost didn’t get upgrade!

T-24h: Do online check-in for flight AC34 YVR-YYZ and select seat in Y cabin

T-23h: Call Concierge to see if they can comp-up me as a SE to PY cabin. There is another thread, but Concierge is offering PY seats (for SE) on domestic flights like AC34 where they aren’t offering PY service yet. I get confirmed in PY in seat 12K.

I’m thinking maybe my chances are good, because they are supposed to clear upgrades by cabin first and my BP says PY on it now.

T-1h: I’m 6th on the public upgrade list and there are 4 spots available. Not looking good.

T-45m: Upgrades are cleared and I’m now 2nd on the list and J is full. I go double check with the gate agent. She says I’m not on her list at all! She says it looks like it was a glitch because they moved me to PY. She apologies and says “sometimes we need to work around these glitches.” I monitor the public upgrade list as she downgrades someone else and then upgrades me in J.

Close one, but it’s always good idea to check with gate agent in situations like this to make sure you’re on the correct upgrade list.
Data point: Hold on - just yesterday I called the concierge to get put into the PY section of a domestic portion of an international route and I got denied. I checked the loads for the O cabin and it was wide open before I called. I was a never told that I had to be at the airport either.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Data point: Hold on - just yesterday I called the concierge to get put into the PY section of a domestic portion of an international route and I got denied. I checked the loads for the O cabin and it was wide open before I called. I was a never told that I had to be at the airport either.
Maybe there is a rule change on the horizon.......
Old May 21, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Maybe there is a rule change on the horizon.......
Considering bonafide Domestic O service is starting June 1, 2017, I don't see why they can't just let us do the comp O cabin domestic faux up and issue a communiqu that all faux ups are to end at the end of the May 31 operational day.

Instead I've just been getting mixed information from AC. Today they sky is orange. Tomorrow the sky will be brown freckles.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Considering bonafide Domestic O service is starting June 1, 2017, I don't see why they can't just let us do the comp O cabin domestic faux up and issue a communiqu that all faux ups are to end at the end of the May 31 operational day.

Instead I've just been getting mixed information from AC. Today they sky is orange. Tomorrow the sky will be brown freckles.
It's being sold to start June 1st. Let's see how long it takes to have the FA's fully implement it, and stop self upgraders.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
It's being sold to start June 1st. Let's see how long it takes to have the FA's fully implement it, and stop self upgraders.
What does being sold to start June 1 mean?

So on June 1 I can by a flight on June 1 in the O cabin?

Or on June 1 I can buy a flight in O cabin but for flights in the distant future?

I have little faith that the crew will enforce anything, seeing they don't enforce preferred seats whatsoever.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE - IHG Aspire - Oyston Out
Looking the Standby & Upgrade list for the first time on iOS, hopefully someone can help me decode.

Capacity 40 / Booked 38 / Checked in 23
-- There are 3 people listed first with green check marks against their name. I assume they are already confirmed upgrades?
-- I am listed as #1 below that. I assume that means I am next in line to be updgraded?

However... a fourth name just appeared above me with a green check mark. How would they jump the line?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You only show up on the list if you're checked in.

So that fourth person was already upgraded, but hadn't checked in yet.

Checkmarks are confirmed upgrades.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Checkmarks are confirmed upgrades??

Not according to YYJ 20 minutes ago.

Today my wife, son, and I were on AC8076. Delayed (and 2 further connections) so we called in and concierge added us to standby for 8074. Showed up #1-3 of 14 uncleared/4 previously cleared per a screenshot.

10min later, when AC8074 check in deadline passed, all 3 of us had green checks next to our name. Score! Rushed to the airport, turned in rental car since we cleared standby. Skipped our early dinner plans w/friends nearby.

Got to gate near start of boarding. The 2 agents recognized our last name without having to even look at their system and said 'wrong flight, you are on AC8076'. I showed them the app and the green checkmarks. They insisted app only shows if we are ON a list, not of we made standby. They said sorry, full. I refreshed again, still several names with checkmarks including 2 that had previously below us (these checkmarked ones seemed to disappear one at a time--does this happen as those passengers board?). OUR names were completely gone from the list. Flight went out with only 3 names still listed as standby (uncleared). any insight other than the agent manually screwing over 3 SEs?

I persisted and did end up taking one no-show seat. My 2 SE100k family members are now waiting 90min+ in YYJ.

Last edited by expert7700; Jun 19, 2017 at 6:15 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
Checkmarks are confirmed upgrades??

Not according to YYJ 20 minutes ago.

Today my wife, son, and I were on AC8076. Delayed (and 2 further connections) so we called in and concierge added us to standby for 8074. Showed up #1-3 of 14 uncleared/4 previously cleared per a screenshot.

10min later, when AC8074 check in deadline passed, all 3 of us had green checks next to our name. Score! Rushed to the airport, turned in rental car since we cleared standby. Skipped our early dinner plans w/friends nearby.

Got to gate near start of boarding. The 2 agents recognized our last name without having to even look at their system and said 'wrong flight, you are on AC8076'. I showed them the app and the green checkmarks. They insisted app only shows if we are ON a list, not of we made standby. They said sorry, full. I refreshed again, still several names with checkmarks including 2 that had previously below us (these checkmarked ones seemed to disappear one at a time--does this happen as those passengers board?). OUR names were completely gone from the list. Flight went out with only 3 names still listed as standby (uncleared). any insight other than the agent manually screwing over 3 SEs?

I persisted and did end up taking one no-show seat. My 2 SE100k family members are now waiting 90min+ in YYJ.
A checkmark means you've cleared. Sounds like they removed you for whatever reason. I'd write in about it.

When you board, you're removed from the list.

Also, if your flight's delayed, you have connections, and there's space on the earlier flight, I'd ask to be confirmed on it
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
As you said it seems obvious we were removed. Will write in to ask if policy was followed. YVR concierge thinks gate may have paged standbys at T-40min or so, and since we weren't at gate until closer to T-30, the gate agent moved on down the list. (in contrast to cleared e-ups which do not require you to rush to the gate).

If that ends up being the case, it may be good advice to sprint to the gate (or in my case, advise the checkin desk before rushing thru security) once a standby checkmark appears.

Last edited by expert7700; Jun 19, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by expert7700
As you said it seems obvious we were removed. Will write in to ask if policy was followed. YVR concierge thinks gate may have paged standbys at T-40min or so, and since we weren't at gate until closer to T-30, the gate agent moved on down the list. (in contrast to cleared e-ups which do not require you to rush to the gate).

If that ends up being the case, it may be good advice to sprint to the gate (or in my case, advise the checkin desk before rushing thru security) once a standby checkmark appears.
If I think there is any chance the AC deboarding police will try to wield their baton, I call the concierge and let them know I will be on the flight. I might be at the gate at t-20, but I will be there. (Usually happens on tight transborder connections, but less lately, thankfully.)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:12 pm

How does this work? MrsITAG and I are on a flight tomorrow. I'm on an unlimited Latitude Pass, she on a Flex ticket. We're both upgraded on our scheduled flight to J.

I did a stand, and we don't show up on the standby list on the iPhone app, but do show up in the upgrade list (no green check)

I know the flight is full (LGA-YYZ storms etc).

Just curious as to the logic here.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
How does this work? MrsITAG and I are on a flight tomorrow. I'm on an unlimited Latitude Pass, she on a Flex ticket. We're both upgraded on our scheduled flight to J.

I did a stand, and we don't show up on the standby list on the iPhone app, but do show up in the upgrade list (no green check)

I know the flight is full (LGA-YYZ storms etc).

Just curious as to the logic here.
There is an onload list in DCS.

That has everyone who wants to get into a cabin on the flight that they are not confirmed in.

Maybe that's a SE booked in Y but trying to upgrade to J.
Maybe that's a FA on standby hoping for Y or J.
Harder to tell.

But AC, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make two lists in the app:

1. Upgrade List
This list is everyone trying to get into J or PY on that flight, either standby or actual upgrades

2. Standby list
This list is everyone trying to get into Y on that flight (so standby)

For domestic flights, it's much easier to look at the lists as "J or Y" than "Upgrade or Standby".
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Hi guys,

There are 2 folks on Stand by J and 2 on Waitlist J. Only 2 seats available in J

So who gets priority first? Standby J or Waitlist J?
Attached Images   
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by supatight80
Hi guys,

There are 2 folks on Stand by J and 2 on Waitlist J. Only 2 seats available in J

So who gets priority first? Standby J or Waitlist J?
The "standby" list is the economy list.

So the people you see on that list are not even eligible for J (unless they're also on the J "upgrade" list, but then it's obvious where they are).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.