Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby and Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Anyone who really wanted the data would just buy a refundable ticket then.
Yes, but a competitor couldn't do this on a continued basis, and it's pretty easy to crack down on abuse based on CC number and billing address.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by yvr76
If you're on a NA Latitude flight pass and use the complementary 48 hour upgrade do you show up on the list as a green checkmark, as you're technically in J, and not in R space.
Yes but how hard is it to figure out that when the upgrade list shrinks by 1 and J goes down by 1 within 3 minutes and it is T - 48 or less that the chances are 95%+ that a Lat FP just changed from an eUp to a complimentary J?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar
Yes but how hard is it to figure out that when the upgrade list shrinks by 1 and J goes down by 1 within 3 minutes and it is T - 48 or less that the chances are 95%+ that a Lat FP just changed from an eUp to a complimentary J?
Pretty hard, since you can't see the list 48 hours out
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Pretty hard, since you can't see the list 48 hours out
Well, I bet that you could still figure it out by looking at the distribution of J sales. All in all, I am still surprised they are making this data available. No matter how you slice it, total J, less upgraded J, equals something close to paid J less Y FP comp ups. And if I was WS, I would want to know that on average AC sells 2 or 9 J seats on YVR-YYZ or YYC-YYZ. If it is 2, I don't change. If it is 9, maybe I am tempted to put in 2 rows of J?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:10 pm

Well, I bet that you could still figure it out by looking at the distribution of J sales. All in all, I am still surprised they are making this data available. No matter how you slice it, total J, less upgraded J, equals something close to paid J less Y FP comp ups. And if I was WS, I would want to know that on average AC sells 2 or 9 J seats on YVR-YYZ or YYC-YYZ. If it is 2, I don't change. If it is 9, maybe I am tempted to put in 2 rows of J?
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'd like to point out that United's list works the exact same way, if I'm not mistaken.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
WestJet operates on a different business model and while they very well may get to offering J products one day, they are not quite there yet.

Also, I don't believe it's any secret that AC's YVR - YYZ and back (and YYC - YYZ and back) is a very very lucrative J route for them. Often times there being no R upgraded pax in the cabin on the widebodys.

But putting in J isn't as simple as having it sell.

Where are those sales coming from? Are they coming from corporate accounts? Does WestJet have those corporate accounts? Are they coming from interline *A sales? Maybe people who are hard rooted in the AC FF program. Etc etc.

Just because you build it doesn't mean they will come.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:14 pm

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'd like to point out that United's list works the exact same way, if I'm not mistaken.
You're mistaken. United's list does not work the EXACT same way.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
You're mistaken. United's list does not work the EXACT same way.
I meant in terms of showing upgraded passengers.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:32 pm

I meant in terms of showing upgraded passengers.
Uh huh, sure sure, whatever you say Mr. has called me out on technicalities before :P
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:18 pm

Interestingly staff at YVR Intl was totally intrigued by this new function of the app. Not one staff member at the gate had seen it so there was some show-and-tell going on. (I was boarding late-ish, esp for Zone 1, no one was impeded in boarding.) For me it was doubly amusing to be at the technology forefront as I had just begrudgingly swapped my BlackBerry for an Android yesterday.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
When is there going to be a wiki set up for us poor souls on IOS to check upgrade lists?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
For me it was doubly amusing to be at the technology forefront as I had just begrudgingly swapped my BlackBerry for an Android yesterday.
Haha I can see the list as I run the Android version on BB10...
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Uh huh, sure sure, whatever you say Mr. has called me out on technicalities before :P
Sounds like you have a beef with cow.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Interestingly staff at YVR Intl was totally intrigued by this new function of the app. Not one staff member at the gate had seen it so there was some show-and-tell going on. (I was boarding late-ish, esp for Zone 1, no one was impeded in boarding.) For me it was doubly amusing to be at the technology forefront as I had just begrudgingly swapped my BlackBerry for an Android yesterday.
Makes sense to me.

Every AC employee I've spoken to who can see the list has so far refused to tell me where I am on the list. But, since I'm a SM on a M fare or higher, my chances are usually pretty good so I don't bother to pursue the information anyway.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: *$ Green
Cow, any chance that the order in which the list clears is not a representation of how upgrades are awarded?

Ie.: Gate upgrades require some kind of manual intervention, and the staff will have no issues with upgrading #2 if it has no effect on clearing 1, yet will not clear 1 until it's known 100% 1 will show up (connections / checked in but no show / etc)?

Because if that is the case, and I'm #9 with 8 seats left and 2-7 confirmed upgraded but not 1, mayne it's worth it to not board and wait a bit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.