Standby and Upgrade List

Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
156 Looks empty as a whistle. Only 2 on the waitlist with 24 booked.
This is actually proving to be quite useful for me to track which day is best to buy flex on 156 for.

Its actually interesting how they have not cleared the two people on the wait list. Do they honestly think 16 people are going to buy J in the next five hours?
Even if R is positive at T-24 hours up to around gate control time, if one does OLCI and you choose to eUpgrade during the OLCI process, one is waitlisted. Many just happily do that without knowing (or caring) to stop the OLCI process, go to their eUp page to confirm the eupgrade, and then restarting the OLCI process. This is one way someone is not cleared and appears in the waitlist even though R has positive space. I'm not saying this is necessarily the reason for what you are seeing, but I am just saying this is one possibility.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Even if R is positive at T-24 hours OLCI and you choose to eUpgrade during the OLCI process, one is waitlisted. Many just happily do that without knowing (or caring) to stop the OLCI process, go to their eUp page to confirm the eupgrade, and then restarting the OLCI process. This is one way someone is not cleared and appears in the waitlist even though R has positive space. I'm not saying this is the reason for what you are seeing, but I am just saying this is one possibility.
I agree with you, but I've seen other flights recently with 4-5 people on the list and 12 unsold seats (per check-in agent, not seat map) at T-3.

I have no issue with R0 two weeks out.

I have a bit of an issue with R0 at T-3 hours when the cabin's empty and the waitlist is not very long.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I agree with you, but I've seen other flights recently with 4-5 people on the list and 12 unsold seats (per check-in agent, not seat map) at T-3.

I have no issue with R0 two weeks out.

I have a bit of an issue with R0 at T-3 hours when the cabin's empty and the waitlist is not very long.
Right, ok. I don't disagree at all.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
It was 8081. I didn't challenge the GA on it. And I was the only one on the standby list waiting during boarding. Wish they'd VDB me on 8083 so I could go get some sleep!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:04 pm

Here's a good one.

Book a flight, check in, select "standby" option in OLCI, pick an earlier flight.

You're now on the list.

Cancel check-in, and cancel the reservation.

You're still on the list.

This may explain why there have been a few:
ABC, D
ABC, D
ABC, D

It might not be family with the same first initial, it could be the same person.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
156 Looks empty as a whistle. Only 2 on the waitlist with 24 booked.
This is actually proving to be quite useful for me to track which day is best to buy flex on 156 for.

Its actually interesting how they have not cleared the two people on the wait list. Do they honestly think 16 people are going to buy J in the next five hours?
After you check-in it goes to the gate. So if those 2 people have already checked-in they couldn't be "cleared". At least according to the rules posted on the AC website.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Here's a good one.

Book a flight, check in, select "standby" option in OLCI, pick an earlier flight.

You're now on the list.

Cancel check-in, and cancel the reservation.

You're still on the list.

This may explain why there have been a few:
ABC, D
ABC, D
ABC, D

It might not be family with the same first initial, it could be the same person.
Wow, so basically broken system?

I guess it should've been expected for AC IT...

So then, doesn't this feed off the DCS or something? Would that mean that people playing around with their flights could give the impression that a flight's wait list is huge when it isn't? Or make one give up on an SDC to another flight when they could've made it?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Wow, so basically broken system?

I guess it should've been expected for AC IT...

So then, doesn't this feed off the DCS or something? Would that mean that people playing around with their flights could give the impression that a flight's wait list is huge when it isn't? Or make one give up on an SDC to another flight when they could've made it?
Yup. This isn't the app, it's DCS.

I had a friend show up twice on the list earlier, and he called the concierge, and the concierge made a remark about being on the list twice.

But there you have it - the list is not accurate.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry

I had a friend show up twice on the list earlier, and he called the concierge, and the concierge made a remark about being on the list twice.

Not much of a useful feature then, eh? Unlike a broken clock, this inaccurate list doesn't have the benefit of being right twice a day
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by ffsim
Not much of a useful feature then, eh? Unlike a broken clock, this inaccurate list doesn't have the benefit of being right twice a day
It's like most things AC. It gives an indication that may be accurate, even 100% correct, or completely wrong.

Like these new super sonic jets AC is flying. Or how flights are an hour longer in the seat map vs booking screen, etc ...

So it's progress. From a certain point of view.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: *$ Green

Great.

Well, at least now we know the information on the DCS is wrong, so we know not to base any decision based off of that...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Don't have any flights booked for the next month so haven't been able to try the list yet. Reading the comments here it seems we can check for flights we are not even booked on. Tried and was not able to see it though. Am I missing something???

using the iOS app btw

Last edited by Eternity000; Mar 27, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Eternity000

using the iOS app btw
Only on Android currently.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:36 pm

Hmmm I wonder if people are being removed from the list when they board.

Anyone upgraded (or expecting a gate upgrade) flying today and can test this?

Edit: Or if you're waitlisted. This may be why you shouldn't board if you haven't cleared.

Last edited by canadiancow; Mar 28, 2017 at 12:48 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Hmmm I wonder if people are being removed from the list when they board.

Anyone upgraded (or expecting a gate upgrade) flying today and can test this?

Edit: Or if you're waitlisted. This may be why you shouldn't board if you haven't cleared.
I can test it tomorrow morning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.