Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby and Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94
. How does EF get its data though? Do they pay AC and other carriers (?) for access to raw data?..
Most of the availability and fare data on ExpertFlyer comes from Sabre GDS via Sabre Web Services.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
great. I am using an old iPhone for my travel phone but I could just as easily use an android device.... OMG what am I saying....

Get a nexus 5 on kijiji for sub 200, works as great as iPhone 6s
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by D582
Most of the availability and fare data on ExpertFlyer comes from Sabre GDS via Sabre Web Services.
Yes, but, they also have for some carriers, filtered or removed some data as well. And while this is not the case for Air Canada, I believe it does impact some *A.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:09 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Yes, but, they also have for some carriers, filtered or removed some data as well. And while this is not the case for Air Canada, I believe it does impact some *A.
ExpertFlyer has full coverage for Star Alliance airlines. The full list of supported airlines for Award & Upgrade searching can be found here: https://www.expertflyer.com/sessionlessClassList.do
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So having played around with this for a few days, I have one technical observation and one "business" observation.

First, the technical.

The list jumps around like crazy once the flight is under gate control. You'll have KEN, S with a checkmark that then disappears off the list. Then a few more people will get checkmarks, and a few minutes later they're not on the list either. They're clearly manipulating what they're showing, though I'm not convinced this aspect is intentional.

And aside from the technical, the thing that REALLY stands out is that no one is waitlisting for PY. Like at all. I've been checking so many flights, and I almost never see anyone on that list.

Edit: Found something else interesting. After 33 YYZ-YVR departed, I was unable to see the list for 33 YVR-SYD for a while. But now it shows up again.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
ExpertFlyer has full coverage for Star Alliance airlines. The full list of supported airlines for Award & Upgrade searching can be found here: https://www.expertflyer.com/sessionlessClassList.do

my bad. Then it was *A. But I could have sworn there is some airline where inventory isn't shown?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:11 pm

They just processed upgrades on 156 before the flight even closed.

I thought this whole thing was automated now when check-in closed.

For a lazy Saturday night, I'm certainly learning a lot by just refreshing the app every few minutes.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They just processed upgrades on 156 before the flight even closed.

I thought this whole thing was automated now when check-in closed.

For a lazy Saturday night, I'm certainly learning a lot by just refreshing the app every few minutes.
Now we know why AC didn't want to make the upgrade process transparent, don't we? Shenanigans are now laid bare for all (well Android users) to see.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82
Now we know why AC didn't want to make the upgrade process transparent, don't we? Shenanigans are now laid bare for all (well Android users) to see.
To be fair, everyone on the list was upgraded.

But what if I was about to OLCI (still not T-45), and was going to add myself to the upgrade list at that time?

There may still be open seats though, but all you need is N+1 people doing what I just described for this to cause issues.

I have heard of issues with the 77W on domestic routes where they have to start boarding before the flight closes, but the complaints surrounding that are more along the lines of "they haven't processed upgrades but they've started boarding".
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:59 pm

AC 33 YVR-SYD just had 2, 3, and 4 clear.

#1 is still waitlisted.

Looks like there's seats though, but this is really weird. Either there are shenanigans, or the order on the list is wrong (which was my biggest fear).

Edit: And now #1 has cleared

Last edited by canadiancow; Mar 26, 2017 at 12:09 am
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Either there are shenanigans, or the order on the list is wrong (which was my biggest fear).
seems like an opportunity for someone to automate saving this data. for every flight.

could be neat to know the # booked, cleared, and if flights went out with J/PY seays open... to help identify trends to help with future booking strategy.

it would be useful to snapshot or show changes before eup windows clear, right as checkin opens, and finally after flight closes.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
AC 33 YVR-SYD just had 2, 3, and 4 clear.

#1 is still waitlisted.

Looks like there's seats though, but this is really weird. Either there are shenanigans, or the order on the list is wrong (which was my biggest fear).

Edit: And now #1 has cleared
It could also mean that 1 didn't want to clear unless 5 cleared.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by YYT82
This doesn't demonstrate shenanigans.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:46 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

And aside from the technical, the thing that REALLY stands out is that no one is waitlisting for PY. Like at all. I've been checking so many flights, and I almost never see anyone on that list.
That's really interesting. Is it us not requesting or is it AC doing something non-obvious?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
It could also mean that 1 didn't want to clear unless 5 cleared.
There was no #5.

That's the weird part.

There were 5 or 6 open seats, 4 people listed, and #2-4 cleared 5-10 minutes before #1.

And this is all automated, right? That's what we were told. If the list is accurate, and the processing of the list is automated, #2 should never clear before #1.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That's really interesting. Is it us not requesting or is it AC doing something non-obvious?
Hard to say. I don't trust the list for reasons I just mentioned above.

I've seen a few cases where someone is listed on the "standby" list and the "upgrade" list, which suggests to me they're either a J revenue passenger standing by, or an employee entitled to J standing by. But in either case, wouldn't they also be entitled to the O cabin? If so, why aren't they on that list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.