Standby and Upgrade List

Reply

Old Mar 22, 17, 9:20 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YYZ/SFO
Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Platinum, HHonors Silver, Le Club Accor Silver, Avis First, NEXUS
Posts: 2,580
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
. How does EF get its data though? Do they pay AC and other carriers (?) for access to raw data?..
Most of the availability and fare data on ExpertFlyer comes from Sabre GDS via Sabre Web Services.
D582 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 17, 11:17 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,490
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post
great. I am using an old iPhone for my travel phone but I could just as easily use an android device.... OMG what am I saying....

Get a nexus 5 on kijiji for sub 200, works as great as iPhone 6s
Jumper Jack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 17, 11:47 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: YVR / PHX
Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Posts: 5,403
Originally Posted by D582 View Post
Most of the availability and fare data on ExpertFlyer comes from Sabre GDS via Sabre Web Services.
Yes, but, they also have for some carriers, filtered or removed some data as well. And while this is not the case for Air Canada, I believe it does impact some *A.
Sean Peever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 17, 3:09 pm
  #79  
Company Representative - ExpertFlyer.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,318
Originally Posted by Sean Peever View Post
Yes, but, they also have for some carriers, filtered or removed some data as well. And while this is not the case for Air Canada, I believe it does impact some *A.
ExpertFlyer has full coverage for Star Alliance airlines. The full list of supported airlines for Award & Upgrade searching can be found here: https://www.expertflyer.com/sessionlessClassList.do
ExpertFlyer Voice is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 17, 6:41 pm
  #80  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,866
So having played around with this for a few days, I have one technical observation and one "business" observation.

First, the technical.

The list jumps around like crazy once the flight is under gate control. You'll have KEN, S with a checkmark that then disappears off the list. Then a few more people will get checkmarks, and a few minutes later they're not on the list either. They're clearly manipulating what they're showing, though I'm not convinced this aspect is intentional.

And aside from the technical, the thing that REALLY stands out is that no one is waitlisting for PY. Like at all. I've been checking so many flights, and I almost never see anyone on that list.

Edit: Found something else interesting. After 33 YYZ-YVR departed, I was unable to see the list for 33 YVR-SYD for a while. But now it shows up again.
canadiancow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 17, 8:47 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: YVR / PHX
Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Posts: 5,403
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice View Post
ExpertFlyer has full coverage for Star Alliance airlines. The full list of supported airlines for Award & Upgrade searching can be found here: https://www.expertflyer.com/sessionlessClassList.do

my bad. Then it was *A. But I could have sworn there is some airline where inventory isn't shown?
Sean Peever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 17, 10:11 pm
  #82  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,866
They just processed upgrades on 156 before the flight even closed.

I thought this whole thing was automated now when check-in closed.

For a lazy Saturday night, I'm certainly learning a lot by just refreshing the app every few minutes.
canadiancow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 17, 10:15 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYT/YYC/TPE
Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Posts: 1,451
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
They just processed upgrades on 156 before the flight even closed.

I thought this whole thing was automated now when check-in closed.

For a lazy Saturday night, I'm certainly learning a lot by just refreshing the app every few minutes.
Now we know why AC didn't want to make the upgrade process transparent, don't we? Shenanigans are now laid bare for all (well Android users) to see.
YYT82 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 17, 10:19 pm
  #84  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,866
Originally Posted by YYT82 View Post
Now we know why AC didn't want to make the upgrade process transparent, don't we? Shenanigans are now laid bare for all (well Android users) to see.
To be fair, everyone on the list was upgraded.

But what if I was about to OLCI (still not T-45), and was going to add myself to the upgrade list at that time?

There may still be open seats though, but all you need is N+1 people doing what I just described for this to cause issues.

I have heard of issues with the 77W on domestic routes where they have to start boarding before the flight closes, but the complaints surrounding that are more along the lines of "they haven't processed upgrades but they've started boarding".
canadiancow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 17, 11:59 pm
  #85  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,866
AC 33 YVR-SYD just had 2, 3, and 4 clear.

#1 is still waitlisted.

Looks like there's seats though, but this is really weird. Either there are shenanigans, or the order on the list is wrong (which was my biggest fear).

Edit: And now #1 has cleared

Last edited by canadiancow; Mar 26, 17 at 12:09 am
canadiancow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 17, 7:00 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,350
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Either there are shenanigans, or the order on the list is wrong (which was my biggest fear).
seems like an opportunity for someone to automate saving this data. for every flight.

could be neat to know the # booked, cleared, and if flights went out with J/PY seays open... to help identify trends to help with future booking strategy.

it would be useful to snapshot or show changes before eup windows clear, right as checkin opens, and finally after flight closes.
expert7700 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 17, 7:59 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YEG
Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,900
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
AC 33 YVR-SYD just had 2, 3, and 4 clear.

#1 is still waitlisted.

Looks like there's seats though, but this is really weird. Either there are shenanigans, or the order on the list is wrong (which was my biggest fear).

Edit: And now #1 has cleared
It could also mean that 1 didn't want to clear unless 5 cleared.
YEG_SE4Life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 17, 8:01 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YEG
Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,900
Originally Posted by YYT82 View Post
Now we know why AC didn't want to make the upgrade process transparent, don't we? Shenanigans are now laid bare for all (well Android users) to see.
This doesn't demonstrate shenanigans.
YEG_SE4Life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 17, 12:46 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 1,954
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post

And aside from the technical, the thing that REALLY stands out is that no one is waitlisting for PY. Like at all. I've been checking so many flights, and I almost never see anyone on that list.
That's really interesting. Is it us not requesting or is it AC doing something non-obvious?
Bohemian1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 17, 2:26 pm
  #90  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,866
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life View Post
It could also mean that 1 didn't want to clear unless 5 cleared.
There was no #5.

That's the weird part.

There were 5 or 6 open seats, 4 people listed, and #2-4 cleared 5-10 minutes before #1.

And this is all automated, right? That's what we were told. If the list is accurate, and the processing of the list is automated, #2 should never clear before #1.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
That's really interesting. Is it us not requesting or is it AC doing something non-obvious?
Hard to say. I don't trust the list for reasons I just mentioned above.

I've seen a few cases where someone is listed on the "standby" list and the "upgrade" list, which suggests to me they're either a J revenue passenger standing by, or an employee entitled to J standing by. But in either case, wouldn't they also be entitled to the O cabin? If so, why aren't they on that list?
canadiancow is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread