Standby and Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC*G
AC33 YVR - SYD leaving tonight
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Haha I ALMOST said "I bet it's 33 YVR-SYD".

You can't see the list on that until 33 YYZ-YVR departs.

As you said though, it's booked 40/40 in J, and it's 24/24 in PY, so chances aren't great. But you should be able to check in ~5 hours to see where you are.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jilu38
AC33 YVR - SYD leaving tonight
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Haha I ALMOST said "I bet it's 33 YVR-SYD".

You can't see the list on that until 33 YYZ-YVR departs.

As you said though, it's booked 40/40 in J, and it's 24/24 in PY, so chances aren't great. But you should be able to check in ~5 hours to see where you are.
@jilu38

out of curiosity, what's your fare class/basis and do you have AC status?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
At just a couple of minutes after flight departure (flight closed out of YYZ), it is showing no passengers waiting to upgrade out of YVR . . .
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:01 pm

Huh. I don't think it was properly marked as departed in the system.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I guess we might find out if he got in. I just checked now about an hour and half before flight and no upgrades on list--checked in full.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:24 pm

Meh I wouldn't count on that until T-55. Hopefully the list becomes visible by then.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Just as another datapoint, yesterday I got an op-up before the gate, around the same time the flight would have been closing though -- concierge gave me the J BP as I was leaving the lounge. Checked the upgrade list and I did show on it with a green checkmark.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
I just wanted to share a data point based on my experience YYZ-YVR 2 weeks ago. Since we debate how things work sometimes - I can't remember if what happened to me is consistent or not with expectations of how it works.

Basic facts - I was confirmed in J (upgraded from B-Fare) YYZ-YVR and decided to go earlier. Actually qualified for SDC and ticket is changeable etc - but due to loads (Zero Availability), ultimately I could only do Same-day standby. Was going SBY on AC107 - confirmed AC 111. AC 107 was upguaged to 777 from A321 but due to various IRROPS movements it was actually oversold by 45 in Y with a total of 35 open in PY/J combined (16 open in J). This puts the flight in DCS as oversold in total by 10.

On Checkin - I was number 21 on the J-SBY list. Which - perhaps makes sense - because the plane was oversold in total and a later flight passenger should not be able to result in a denied boarding of someone booked on a flight. Now - one thing that was evident - was that there were very many no-shows - close to 70 - so in reality, I knew I would get on. I could determine that the only people below me in the list were Non-Rev (because these passengers were on both UPG and SBY lists).

When the flight was closed (Status FC - T-45 minutes) I was now showing as number 2 on the upgrade list. I was checked in as J-SBY which technically means it's probably flagged as Entitled J (instead of Entitled Y / J-SBY) - but either way - I was number 2 and got on in J-Class.

So - this means that if a flight is not oversold, a later confirmed J-Class or even a later confirmed upgrade - standing by for earlier flight - will have a higher priority than all of the people booked on the earlier flight and waiting for upgrade. In general this makes sense.

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
I could determine that the only people below me in the list were Non-Rev (because these passengers were on both UPG and SBY lists).
Nope. Request an upgrade on your confirmed flight, go standby on the earlier, and you'll show up on both lists on the earlier flight, below someone like yourself. Certainly less common than a non-rev, but I've done it enough myself that I would never make the assumption.

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
I just wanted to share a data point based on my experience YYZ-YVR 2 weeks ago. Since we debate how things work sometimes - I can't remember if what happened to me is consistent or not with expectations of how it works.

Basic facts - I was confirmed in J (upgraded from B-Fare) YYZ-YVR and decided to go earlier. Actually qualified for SDC and ticket is changeable etc - but due to loads (Zero Availability), ultimately I could only do Same-day standby. Was going SBY on AC107 - confirmed AC 111. AC 107 was upguaged to 777 from A321 but due to various IRROPS movements it was actually oversold by 45 in Y with a total of 35 open in PY/J combined (16 open in J). This puts the flight in DCS as oversold in total by 10.

On Checkin - I was number 21 on the J-SBY list. Which - perhaps makes sense - because the plane was oversold in total and a later flight passenger should not be able to result in a denied boarding of someone booked on a flight. Now - one thing that was evident - was that there were very many no-shows - close to 70 - so in reality, I knew I would get on. I could determine that the only people below me in the list were Non-Rev (because these passengers were on both UPG and SBY lists).

When the flight was closed (Status FC - T-45 minutes) I was now showing as number 2 on the upgrade list. I was checked in as J-SBY which technically means it's probably flagged as Entitled J (instead of Entitled Y / J-SBY) - but either way - I was number 2 and got on in J-Class.

So - this means that if a flight is not oversold, a later confirmed J-Class or even a later confirmed upgrade - standing by for earlier flight - will have a higher priority than all of the people booked on the earlier flight and waiting for upgrade. In general this makes sense.

Any thoughts?
That's what I've experienced in the past couple years, but the list in the app places standby at the bottom, so it's confusing.

I complained about it once a few years back when I was on full J for the last YYZ-SFO flight, on standby for the earlier (because I wasn't sure if I could make it due to visa issues), but I made it. And a P25K eUp got the last seat in J, even though Y had plenty (the flight was not overbooked).

So I was really glad when they changed how this works.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:32 pm

Quick question: we are on an AE J booking from MUC-YYZ, via YUL. The YUL-YYZ segment is in economy. Can I request to be put on the upgrade list by an AC agent at MUC? We are on LH to YUL so wouldn’t normally see an AC agent at MUC. Also, would a MLL agent do it at YUL?

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
This depends. If you are on Aeroplan ticket, then ask in Toronto right away when you can to be put on the list for J. If you are on a revenue ticket that got booked in Y-class (perhaps due to availability) - I am not aware of any accommodation that AC provides (but perhaps they should).
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by arf04
Quick question: we are on an AE J booking from MUC-YYZ, via YUL. The YUL-YYZ segment is in economy. Can I request to be put on the upgrade list by an AC agent at MUC? We are on LH to YUL so wouldn’t normally see an AC agent at MUC. Also, would a MLL agent do it at YUL?

Thanks
First suggestion: read Getting upgraded on mixed cabin Aeroplan redemptions

Any AC agent should be able to do it, but I don't know if MUC has AC agents aside from the concierges. I'm pretty sure they're all outsourced. And unless you're SE, you're not entitled to them on that itinerary. And if you are SE, an email is much easier for this.

Any AC agent in YUL should be able to help, and there are plenty to choose from.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
First suggestion: read Getting upgraded on mixed cabin Aeroplan redemptions

Any AC agent should be able to do it, but I don't know if MUC has AC agents aside from the concierges. I'm pretty sure they're all outsourced. And unless you're SE, you're not entitled to them on that itinerary. And if you are SE, an email is much easier for this.

Any AC agent in YUL should be able to help, and there are plenty to choose from.
Thanks. I did read your earlier post, and have the post on a screen shot so I can easily pull up the language... Nice work on that one!

I wonder, too, if all MUC agents are outsourced—and no, not SE. I will find someone at YUL. It’s not the end of the world in any case if the upgrade doesn’t work out. It’ll be one of three segments (the final one being YYZ-YQR) in Y, the rest being in J. The flight is currently showing J4.

Thanks again for the info.

Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:48 pm

An observation: I tried to get the agent at the correspondence desk, and also the one at the MLL, to add us to the upgrade list (using the script!) and both told me that the file shows that we are to be added, all is ok, etc., but they didn’t add us and said to check at the gate. I shall do that, but in any case the current list on the app is showing 5 on the list, 3 already upgraded, 13 booked, and 10 checked in, so chances are slim anyway for a couple of E35s. It’s only a short hop anyhow...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.