Search

Extending eMCO strategies

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
Extending eMCO strategies

Hey all,

I have a handful of eMCO's from volunteering to bump on flights. I've got a couple for $800, a couple for $400 and a couple for $200.

They start expiring in a few months and I haven't had a chance to use them. I'm ideally saving them up for affording a PE or even a low Bus Class ticket for my parents when they go to Australia in November. However they haven't made their plans yet, so they can't book tickets yet. Plus I may even do this by Aeroplan instead so the eMCO may be negligible anyways...

Anyways, the question I have is- is there a good, reliable method for extending the credit of the eMCOs?

For example- could I book a latitude ticket (in mine or my parents name) for down the road, then refund it later? How does the refund work if the original ticket price is on eMCO?

Also has anyone ever combined eMCOs before, i.e use 3 $800 ones for a $2400 ticket somewhere?

What are people's thoughts and advice?

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Erome
Also has anyone ever combined eMCOs before, i.e use 3 $800 ones for a $2400 ticket somewhere?

What are people's thoughts and advice?

Thanks!
Unless the rules have recently changed, I believe a maximum of three MCOs can be applied towards a single ticket.

Don't you have any flights during the last 6-9 months you could apply the MCOs to? (i.e. any flights booked and completed between receiving the MCO and today)
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
That's what I did. Redeemed them against flights I had completed. That's the best way to convert them back to cash.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

I fly on company dollar, so I don't really feel like using my personal eMCO's to reimburse the company.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: TK *G
Do you need AE miles or any other *A FFP miles? If so consider booking yourself a mileage run in J or PY over the weekends.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I fly on company dollar, so I don't really feel like using my personal eMCO's to reimburse the company.
How do your work flights get charged - are they on a personal credit card, such that you've already been reimbursed for the full cost of the flights and a refund would just be a credit towards your own expenses?

Another thought - are eMCOs transferrable?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Another thought - are eMCOs transferrable?
Yes, though the process can be somewhat tiresome.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I don't understand how that reimburses the company. You submit the completed flight information and the eMCO and they send you a cheque.
In my case, I purchased the subsequent tickets, but am pretty sure I got a cheque when I sent the paperwork in.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Why's that? Aren't they just applied at time of booking via Reservations?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Well, if an eMCO could be transferred, perhaps someone would exchange cash for an eMCO, if that's permissible?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I don't understand how that reimburses the company. You submit the completed flight information and the eMCO and they send you a cheque.
In my case, I purchased the subsequent tickets, but am pretty sure I got a cheque when I sent the paperwork in.
Interesting. Whenever I've submitted an eMCO after travel, the amount was credited back to the credit card used to purchase the ticket (i.e. presumably a company credit card in the OP's case)
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Ooh, if AC just sends a cheque rather than a refund to the original form of payment, that seems like the winning strategy here.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Why's that? Aren't they just applied at time of booking via Reservations?
It's been a while, but IIRC there were some forms to be filled out and faxed/mailed to AC when transferring the MCOs to someone else. I just remember that the process was sufficiently tiresome that I didn't go through with it.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Hmm that seems interesting, but seems conflicting info.

I pay for my flights on a company visa, so I don't want my eMCO to be credited back to the original flight

If I recall what I read on AC's eMCO page, it said it would credit to original payment method.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, found this:

Ticket purchases:

For ticket purchases, you can use up to two (2) eCoupons provided that the total cost of the ticket purchase is covered fully by both eCoupons.

and

Redeem your e-MCO online:

Once travel has been completed, fill out our Ticket Refund Application FormOpens in New WindowExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines..

The refund will be processed to the original form of payment of the ticket.
Please allow ten (10) business days for your request to be processed.

Last edited by Erome; Jan 22, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.