Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending eMCO strategies

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'm involved with a charity that does a lot of travel for education and development programming so if you end up not being able to use them on short notice, I can get you a tax receipt for the value if we can use them (and we usually can - or apply them to recently purchased tickets like discussed above) - so you can at least get an income tax deduction for the donation!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
It's been a while, but IIRC there were some forms to be filled out and faxed/mailed to AC when transferring the MCOs to someone else. I just remember that the process was sufficiently tiresome that I didn't go through with it.
I recall just calling Reservations when I wanted to book a new ticket and just giving them the 014 eMCO number.

The other route is to retroactively apply for credit after the flight via Refunds. But that requires a lot more paperwork and is probably what you're describing.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Interesting. Whenever I've submitted an eMCO after travel, the amount was credited back to the credit card used to purchase the ticket (i.e. presumably a company credit card in the OP's case)
Same here
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Unless the rules have recently changed, I believe a maximum of three MCOs can be applied towards a single ticket.

Don't you have any flights during the last 6-9 months you could apply the MCOs to? (i.e. any flights booked and completed between receiving the MCO and today)
If you find an Agent who knows what they are doing (sadly this isn't common so you might have to hunt) they can actually combine MCO's into an all new MCO which overcomes this problem.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
Hmm, so no strategies to extend it eh?

Just ways to use it up:

- Transfer it to someone to use it before the expiry
- Retroactively reimburse my company for flights I've taken and hope they issue me a cheque even though the website indicates it will go against original form of payment
- Call and combine it into a single eMCO, which would allow more to be used on a single booking, but doesn't solve the deadline issue

Hmm, I thought someone in the past had mentioned something about buying a latitude fare or something, I guess this isn't a thing eh?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:35 am
Original Poster

I can't find details for eMCO and the latitude fare idea, but ecoupons have this terminology:

Can I receive a refund for a purchase I made with an Air Canada eCoupon?

Terms are governed by the rules that apply to the specific fare or travel option you have purchased.

If you purchased a refundable fare or travel option, the portion paid with an eCoupon will be refunded to your original eCoupon if the eCoupon is still active. For eCoupons that have expired, the portion paid with an eCoupon will be not be refunded and the value of the eCoupon will be lost.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Well, if an eMCO could be transferred, perhaps someone would exchange cash for an eMCO, if that's permissible?
That would be a no no. And is one of the reasons of the demise of CC forum.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Erome
- Call and combine it into a single eMCO, which would allow more to be used on a single booking, but doesn't solve the deadline issue
I would be interested to know if this is even possible. If it takes AC 6+ months to get back on regular customer relations issues, I can only imagine their head would explode on getting some monkey to combine and reissue a emco.

On UA, you are not allowed to re-combine unless you know how to negotiate your way through customer relations (which is more hassle than its worth).
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:32 am
Suspended

Just as a side note on VDB/IDB, you can always ask for cash instead of emco. Usually a much better value proposition
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Interesting. Whenever I've submitted an eMCO after travel, the amount was credited back to the credit card used to purchase the ticket (i.e. presumably a company credit card in the OP's case)
You might be right - it was a few years ago, and I cannot recall 100% for sure. I do use my own credit card and submit for reimbursement either way, so for me it worked out that the funds returned to me. There is a small up-side to not having in-house travel office or company credit card!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

If I do a volunteer delay I can get cash..!?!?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Technically no (according to the rules). But, depending on the Agent and if they want to follow the rules....
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:47 am
Suspended

I've seen it happen on multiple occasions. Keep in mind they don't have to accept your VDB though.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Given the number of vouchers that have been issued on the deflategate issue, thought it might be worth resurrecting this. Any tips / tricks for dealing with multiple vouchers? I've got 4 at the moment: with the limitation of using max 2 per ticket online, is there a way to combine them or to use more than 2 by calling in to book or after booking?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Given the number of vouchers that have been issued on the deflategate issue, thought it might be worth resurrecting this. Any tips / tricks for dealing with multiple vouchers? I've got 4 at the moment: with the limitation of using max 2 per ticket online, is there a way to combine them or to use more than 2 by calling in to book or after booking?
I unfortunately haven't received a MCO in a quite a while, but I'm pretty sure you used to be able to apply up to three (paper) MCOs when submitting them after the trip. Not sure whether the same is true for eMCOs though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.