FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Can you do a stop over on a one way reward ticket? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1816118-can-you-do-stop-over-one-way-reward-ticket.html)

spartac Jan 18, 2017 3:21 am

Can you do a stop over on a one way reward ticket?

Hello,

Planning a flight to Sydney and thinking of doing of a couple of days stop over in Thailand. I will be exchanging my Aeroplans for a ONE WAY reward ticket.

Does anyone know if Aeroplan allows stop overs for one ay reward tickets?

Pushing it even further: would they allow an internal flight (still with TG) to Phuket? So in short something like YUL-BKK-HKT (STOP OVER) then HKT-BKK-SYD. I don't think so since HKT is not on the way to SYD.

But a couple of years ago I was able to get internal flights inside Thailand for the same cost (miles) as just flying to Thailand but at the time I had a round trip ticket. In this case I feel like I'm pushing it:)

whatchamackallit03 Jan 18, 2017 3:53 am

Quick Answer: No.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Detailed answer: Fixed Mileage Flight Reward Travel Involving a Stopover/Open Jaw

Fixed Mileage Flight Reward Travel Involving a Stopover/Open Jaw

26. Stopovers are not permitted on one-way flight rewards.

27. Stopovers and/or open jaws are not permitted on flight rewards with Calm Air.

28. On roundtrip rewards, stopovers are permitted as follows:

28.1. Travel within Canada or between Canada and the Continental USA (not including Hawaii/Puerto Rico): One stopover permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of the one stopover.

28.2. Between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean:

28.2.1. Rule for rewards containing only Air Canada flight: Two stopovers are permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one stopover.

28.2.2. Rule for rewards containing a minimum of one flight on a Star Alliance partner other than Air Canada: One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in addition to the one stopover.

28.3. Intercontinental travel (travel between two continents): Two stopovers permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one of the two stopovers.

28.4. Intracontinental travel (travel within the same continent) except for travel within Canada/Continental USA, or between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean: Stopovers are not permitted. One open jaw is permitted.

spartac Jan 18, 2017 5:38 am

Thanks for the quick response. That kills that idea...

ksyung Feb 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Self made one way stop over with change fee

1 Attachment(s)
How about a "self made" stop over with one way ticket?

Say I book the ticket online, if I want to stay in LAX for a couple of days, would Aeroplan let me pay the change fee, and let me change the YVR-LAX leg to an earlier date?

eigenvector Feb 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by ksyung (Post 27953594)
How about a "self made" stop over with one way ticket?

Say I book the ticket online, if I want to stay in LAX for a couple of days, would Aeroplan let me pay the change fee, and let me change the YVR-LAX leg to an earlier date?

No, for changes in advance of travel, they will still validate the routing.

ksyung Feb 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 27953849)
No, for changes in advance of travel, they will still validate the routing.

Thank you, that's good information. How about:
1) I go as planned for YVR-LAX, and LAX-ICN
2) Call Aeroplan to push my ICN-HKG leg for a couple days to stay in ICN?

That's "in the middle" of travel.

canadiancow Feb 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by ksyung (Post 27954088)

No, you're still subject to the rules.

Sean Peever Feb 25, 2017 7:17 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 27954616)
No, you're still subject to the rules.

+1

Nazdoom Feb 26, 2017 1:05 am

Originally Posted by ksyung (Post 27954088)

You're not going to get anything beyond a <24 hour layover on Aeroplan ow with these cities.

If you're intent on stopping over in HKG and ICN, consider using Alaska points instead (Cathay and Korean Air hubs). You can't do a real one-way with Korean Air, so you'd have to go to HKG first with Cathay. 70k Alaska points, low taxes.

Or, your best bet would be to use avios. For 20k Avios you could fly ICN-HKG in Cathay J one-way (determine whether it's intl or regional first, international layout is betttter). That's not too expensive and there's usually amazing availability.

Alternatively, book an Aeroplan round trip, but post-pone the last leg to as far in advance as possible. You can then rebook it (change fee + taxes difference) after several months. This is best value if your concern is about knowing your travel dates and not the number of points.

sunwin Jul 10, 2017 8:50 am

Sorry I couldn't quite make out from the rules for stopover. Are we allowed 1 stopover or open jaw if I was to do YYZ-Europe 1 return?

Jasper2009 Jul 10, 2017 10:36 am

Originally Posted by sunwin (Post 28542193)
Sorry I couldn't quite make out from the rules for stopover. Are we allowed 1 stopover or open jaw if I was to do YYZ-Europe 1 return?

You can actually have two stopovers (in addition to your destination / point of turnaround) on a Canada - Europe r/t award or one stopover + one open-jaw.

jerryhung Apr 4, 2018 6:04 pm

sorry to bump this

I know no stopover (>24 hours), but can we do LAYOVER (within 24 hours) on international one-way ticket? Obviously have to call in to book it
e.g. YYZ-PVG lands at 3 pm, stopover for next-day 11am flight PVG-TPE
This takes advantage the 72hour China VISA-WAIVER stay

ChrisA330 Apr 4, 2018 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 29603691)
sorry to bump this

I know no stopover (>24 hours), but can we do LAYOVER (within 24 hours) on international one-way ticket? Obviously have to call in to book it
e.g. YYZ-PVG lands at 3 pm, stopover for next-day 11am flight PVG-TPE
This takes advantage the 72hour China VISA-WAIVER stay

​​​​​​​Yes.

coljung Aug 20, 2018 9:05 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 29603748)

Yes.

Is there a limit in terms of routing for one way transatlantic flights?

Let's say i want to get from BKK to YUL. Could i do BKK - Beijing ( dont remember the code ) - ICN - JFK - YUL ?

YEG USER Aug 20, 2018 9:18 am

Originally Posted by coljung (Post 30105185)
Is there a limit in terms of routing for one way transatlantic flights?

All routes are limited by MPM, although there could be published routing that could allow MPM to be exceeded. I'm not sure of the MPM for the city pair in question, nor if Aeroplan is allowing travel via published routings any more based on a recent experience of mine.