Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Old Apr 10, 18, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Exclamation

Originally Posted by flyquiet View Post
californiadreamin' pointed out that the OP is asking what AC is allowing, NOT what is allowable or should be allowable by government agents.
AC can make policies that exceed the government requirements if it sees the need to do so. And customers that disagree with those policies are free to travel with another airline or mode of travel.
In my experience, AC has asked for passport when offered NEXUS for a number of different reasons ranging from ignorance to the need to update their records when I got a new passport or new NEXUS.
Arguing what the government policy is has been done in other threads with different titles.
Yes, let's please focus on what AC is doing and less on what is or should be permitted by anyone else. There is a whole forum in which to debate Nexus and trusted travelers aptly called the Trusted Travelers forum.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Old Apr 21, 18, 12:48 pm

Programs: Miles & More
I've reached an AC supervisor on the phone, who made it clear that they do not have any rules of their own, but follow "federal requirements", which implies they and ground handlers checking in for them are meant to follow TIMATIC (which is the default worldwide) So the final answer is: yes, you can fly AC US-Canada with just NEXUS

Last edited by Crazydre; Apr 22, 18 at 12:18 am
Old Nov 29, 20, 9:10 am

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Sorry to rehash an old thread. I've read back through the last 6 pages or so.

I foolishly forgot my passport in Canada and travelled to US in November. I am returning Tampa->YYZ next weekend. I know the official AC policy is passport is not required, however, I also know at smaller outstations like Tampa they are contracted staff who might not be aware of this rule. I called AC line who confirmed I am technically fine but gate agents may not be aware of rule.

Does anyone have any data points on NEXUS boarding at smaller US outstations or recommendations on contingencies if the gate agent decides I need a passport to board (e.g. should I print AC website policy on travel documents? CBSA policy?)
Old Nov 29, 20, 9:39 am

Using NEXUS to fly US-Canada

First, know that TPA is staffed by AC employees. Second, even agents at "smaller outstations" would routinely know that as long as your journey is between the US and Canada (with no international connections beyond), a valid NEXUS card is fine. It's their job and it's been that way for several years now. Maybe that's why this thread had faded away! Have a safe flight.
yyz_consulted likes this.
Old Nov 29, 20, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I have had no luck checking in with NEXUS at SFO since they switched over to Amadeus. They consistently demanded my passport.
Old Nov 29, 20, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by californiadreamin' View Post
First, know that TPA is staffed by AC employees. Second, even agents at "smaller outstations" would routinely know that as long as your journey is between the US and Canada (with no international connections beyond), a valid NEXUS card is fine. It's their job and it's been that way for several years now. Maybe that's why this thread had faded away! Have a safe flight.
what your saying is true, but the actual rules don’t always get applied. I have a “favourite” woman at IAH who “knows the rules” who will take nothing less than a passport. Everyone else follows the actual rules and accepts my nexus card which is the only doc on the itinerary, but anytime I call her out she gets more than snippy. Made it through checkin without problems, a few weeks back, but she was working the gate and said because of COVID she needed to see that I was Canadian from my passport. The agent next to her said under his breath that you can read that on the nexus card, but she was hearing none of it. I learned to avoid her if I can, but have stopped fighting. When I left there on Friday I successfully avoided her and never showed my passport.

I know she’s not alone in her ignorance so bring along the rules.
lsquare, YYC3722 and yyz_consulted like this.
Old Nov 29, 20, 8:11 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Ugh not this thread again. It's so dumb.

Tell the AC agent to check the entry requirement for direct one way flight US to Canada for Canadian Citizen using Nexus. It will say "travel documents are sufficient".
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Nov 30, 20, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
Ugh not this thread again. It's so dumb.

Tell the AC agent to check the entry requirement for direct one way flight US to Canada for Canadian Citizen using Nexus. It will say "travel documents are sufficient".
While I agree it is dumb we have to have a thread to question whether AC will correctly apply its own rules, the somewhat serious implications of an agent not allowing me to board spurred my ask.

This is just as silly as the time I almost got deplaned for wearing Bluetooth headphones the week after they changed that rule - but uninformed agents exist.
Old Nov 30, 20, 3:46 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
YYZ-TPA was a regular run for me before Covid changed a lot of things. I've always used just my Nexus to board and have never been questioned about it once in TPA (or for that matter, MCO, MIA or FLL). You should have no problem.
yyz_consulted likes this.
Old Dec 1, 20, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by yyz_consulted View Post
While I agree it is dumb we have to have a thread to question whether AC will correctly apply its own rules, the somewhat serious implications of an agent not allowing me to board spurred my ask.

This is just as silly as the time I almost got deplaned for wearing Bluetooth headphones the week after they changed that rule - but uninformed agents exist.
I agree. What frustrates me even more is that if you call AC to ask them about the policy for this scenario (or any documents require for international flying) they will say "ask customs we give no advice regarding customs clearance and only follow the published rules when you check in".

And then you show up with the correct documents and instead of checking what the rules are they end up making arbitrary ones instead of actually verifying.

Mind you, customs does say that we should always check with the airlines as they may have more stringent / additional requirements for required documents, but then AC should make this clear if it's the case.

Anyway, AC has made it clear on their website a few months back that a passport is NOT required (i.e., they only recommend that you bring it) https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...documents.html

It's also very easy to find, read and interpret. So it should shut down most opposition a GA or the CIA (Check In Agents) maybe have.
​​​​​
Old Dec 1, 20, 11:37 am

That being said, the new fun challenge will be for people who qualify for that 18-mo extension of their Nexus cards, but the card itself shows it's expired and the AC website asks for a non expired card 😭

A category I conveniently fall into.
knotseh likes this.
Old Dec 1, 20, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
YYZ-TPA was a regular run for me before Covid changed a lot of things. I've always used just my Nexus to board and have never been questioned about it once in TPA (or for that matter, MCO, MIA or FLL). You should have no problem.
Pre-COVID is also pre-Amadeus. SFO has explicitly told me the new system "requires" a passport. I don't believe them, but it's the belief among agents.

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
I agree. What frustrates me even more is that if you call AC to ask them about the policy for this scenario (or any documents require for international flying) they will say "ask customs we give no advice regarding customs clearance and only follow the published rules when you check in".

And then you show up with the correct documents and instead of checking what the rules are they end up making arbitrary ones instead of actually verifying.

Mind you, customs does say that we should always check with the airlines as they may have more stringent / additional requirements for required documents, but then AC should make this clear if it's the case.

Anyway, AC has made it clear on their website a few months back that a passport is NOT required (i.e., they only recommend that you bring it) https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...documents.html

It's also very easy to find, read and interpret. So it should shut down most opposition a GA or the CIA (Check In Agents) maybe have.
​​​​​
"recommend" is a bit of an understatement.

Emphasis not mine.

A NEXUS card
- Air Canada strongly encourages you to also carry a valid passport when travelling outside the country, even when travelling to or from the United States.
It's just not worth the fight if you have a passport.
Antonio8069 and nexusCFX like this.
Old Dec 1, 20, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's just not worth the fight. You have a passport!!
Old Dec 2, 20, 7:10 am

I understood that US citizens without CDN status who have NEXUS from the pre-covid days but are not essential are no longer admitted into Canada due to Covid????
Old Dec 2, 20, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
I understood that US citizens without CDN status who have NEXUS from the pre-covid days but are not essential are no longer admitted into Canada due to Covid????
Nexus doesn't grant extra access privileges, beyond expedited screening, so that would make sense...

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...diens-eng.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: