Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Old Apr 7, 18, 9:07 pm

Interesting on the CBP link, I have used GE at:

- LAX: coming from Turkey
- SFO: coming from Japan
- IAH: coming from Mexico
- JFK: coming from Canada (pre-clearance closed at YVR)
- maybe ORD: coming from Canada (pre-clearance closed at YVR)

Never had an issue. But I always carry my Passport and NEXUS, after a surely UA agent had issue with the NEXUS card coming back to Canada
Old Apr 7, 18, 9:26 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by purelywasted View Post

Never had an issue. But I always carry my Passport and NEXUS, after a surely UA agent had issue with the NEXUS card coming back to Canada
*facepalm*
Old Apr 7, 18, 9:42 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by purelywasted View Post

Did you use GE with your passport or with your NEXUS card? With your passport is fine. With your NEXUS card itís not supposed to work.
Old Apr 7, 18, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by D582 View Post

Did you use GE with your passport or with your NEXUS card? With your passport is fine. With your NEXUS card itís not supposed to work.
I am thinking it has been both, 7-8 years ago Iris scan, but most recently fingerprints and maybe a passport at the machine, but I always hand the CBP person my Nexus card with the white printout. I will have to pay closer attention next time I cross, a very good question.
Old Apr 8, 18, 9:54 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by D582 View Post

It may be getting down to semantics, but when I have used GE to enter the US direct from another country, I have always used my passport in the GE machine, just as I do when travelling Canada-US. From my point of view, the GE privilege derives from being a Nexus card holder, and rightly or wrongly, I always have both my Nexus card and passport with me. There has been endless discussion about whether this is required, but I was originally told it was when travelling by air, and it's my habit, and if I'm coming from another country to the US, I'd obviously have needed it.

What's so complicated about that?
ffsim likes this.
Old Apr 8, 18, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
While the thread started with what AC accepted, this has evolved to a discussion is about specifically using the NEXUS card in the GE machine, not about the document waved in the face of a human officer when claiming GE privileges.
Use of NEXUS *card* in the GE machine is only supposed to be possible and permissible at US Preclearance stations in Canada.
Hope that clarifies what seems to be "complicated".

Last edited by flyquiet; Apr 8, 18 at 4:07 pm Reason: add URL
Old Apr 8, 18, 4:09 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by flyquiet View Post
While the thread started with what AC accepted, this has evolved to a discussion is about specifically using the NEXUS card in the GE machine, not about the document waved in the face of a human officer when claiming GE privileges.
Use of NEXUS *card* in the GE machine is only supposed to be possible and permissible at US Preclearance stations in Canada.
Hope that clarifies what seems to be "complicated".
Exactly. You are not supposed to use your NEXUS card coming in from countries like Nigeria to the US, and if you did, the system would tell you that. Give it a try yourself. I'm not sure why people seem to keep say the same things over and over when there's checks built into the system anyways.
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by californiadreamin' View Post
I will choose to believe that you are not intentionally trying to confuse readers. To say that Nexus is accepted as the sole document of entry to the U.S. is simply not correct. NEXUS is indeed acceptable for entry via certain non-air applications however, you cannot use a NEXUS card to process through US immigration at a US airport. This thread is in FLYERtalk. NEXUS members who hold Canadian & US passports are accorded membership in GLOBAL ENTRY, a passport program allowing machine-based initial procesing when used at US airports, as well as at US preclearance points in Canada. NEXUS cards are valid for use at those GE machines located at preclearance facilities at the Canadian airports where offered.
Sorry mate, but youíre dead wrong. Look up the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). Under this policy the NEXUS card is explicitly accepted as proof of nationality for Canadians and Americans if travelling to the US from within the Western Hemisphere.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Hemisphere_Travel_Initiative
​​​​​​​
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:32 pm

I think it is better to link to the government agency than Wikipedia, which is vulnerable to misleading revisions. The following websites made the following statements as of the date of this post.

From https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html
"Yes, it is a WHTI compliant document for entry into the United States."
"If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, and a NEXUS member, you may use your membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air (when coming from the U.S.) or boat when using non-NEXUS lanes."

From https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...al-information
"All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or a NEXUS card when departing from Canada. Please be advised that if arriving in the United States on a flight not pre-cleared by the CBP in Canada, Global entry kiosks cannot be used by passengers only holding a NEXUS card, and the regular inspection lanes have to be used."

From https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...documents.html
"Canadian and U.S. citizens must present either a valid passport or a valid NEXUS card when travelling by air between Canada and the United States."

(Comment based on logic: NEXUS card has only one citizenship on it, and dual citizens carrying NEXUS expecting to enter a country as its citizen may need passport for the country not documented on the card.)

See post # 171 for link to statement about use of NEXUS card in GE machines for entry to USA.

NONE of the above means that someone from AC, CBP or CBSA can't make up a different rule for a specific traveller on the spot, and they work at the airport, so you know how that's going to go.

Although I exclusively use my NEXUS for OLCI and exclusively OFFER my NEXUS card as I.D. when dropping bag, getting boarding pass, boarding at the gate, etc., I choose to always have my passport in my carry on, and at least 10% of the time, I am asked to produce it.
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:57 pm

Fair point on citing Wikipedia.

Here is is a document from US CBP: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...vel-initiative

This document confirms that NEXUS cards are acceptable proof of nationality for Canadians and Americans for land and sea borders, but inconveniently omits the whole category of Canadians travelling by air (although does confirm for Americans travelling by air that just a NEXUS card is OK). I found myself in an uncomfortable position earlier this year of having to travel to the US last-minute whilst my Canadian passport was being renewed, so I looked up the US Federal Register documents relevant to the WHTI and they confirm explicitly that Canadians only need a NEXUS card to travel to the US by air. Armed with this, I went ahead with my US trip and had no problems, either with WestJet or the US authorities. The Global Entry machine at YYZ accepted my NEXUS card (as did the US agent after the machine), and WestJet accepted the NEXUS card on its own.

Iíve done the research. You only need a NEXUS card as a Canadian travelling to the US, and it is all documented under the WHTI. You may encounter ignorant agents, but the law is on your side on this.
Old Apr 10, 18, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Crazydre View Post
I now requested a correction of the CBP Website info saying Canadians can only enter the US without a passport if using preclearance, citing a message from my IATA contact, who clearly said the "Subject matter experts" in the US supplying information to them said that preclearance is no longer mandatory.

The website has been updated
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...M0eUtJbg%3D%3D
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det.../619/related/1
Originally Posted by SuperCargo View Post

Sorry mate, but youíre dead wrong. Look up the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). Under this policy the NEXUS card is explicitly accepted as proof of nationality for Canadians and Americans if travelling to the US from within the Western Hemisphere.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Hemisphere_Travel_Initiative
​​​​​​​
CORRECT. Now you're getting closer to understanding that words and context count. NEXUS card has limitations and are limited to specified use within the WHTI. NEXUS cards are not valid for use by Canadians arriving at U.S. airports EXCEPT as stated by the footnote of WHTI.
And once again, I point out that the topic of this thread reads "AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?
Old Apr 10, 18, 10:58 am

Iíve done the research. You only need a NEXUS card as a Canadian travelling to the US, and it is all documented under the WHTI. You may encounter ignorant agents, but the law is on your side on this.
This is how so many readers get sucked in. Words matter... "ignorant agents"? The statement above is simply incomplete and conveys willy-nilly acceptance for Canadians to enter the U.S. solely with a NEXUS card. And that is plain wrong.
Old Apr 10, 18, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by californiadreamin' View Post
This is how so many readers get sucked in. Words matter... "ignorant agents"? The statement above is simply incomplete and conveys willy-nilly acceptance for Canadians to enter the U.S. solely with a NEXUS card. And that is plain wrong.
Yes, ignorant agents. Airline or immigration agents unaware that Canadians can travel with just a NEXUS card to the US.

I'm confused what we're arguing over here. You yourself have included documents in your reply saying that Canadians only need a NEXUS card to enter the US. Can you come up with a single situation, given the documents cited by myself and others, where a Canadian holding a NEXUS card would require a passport?

Again, I refer to the CBP:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...al-information

This includes this paragraph: "All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or a NEXUS card when departing from Canada. Please be advised that if arriving in the United States on a flight not pre-cleared by the CBP in Canada, Global entry kiosks cannot be used by passengers only holding a NEXUS card, and the regular inspection lanes have to be used." That paragraph is entirely clear: if you are Canadian travelling to the US on a non-pre-cleared flight with just a NEXUS card, you have to get into a regular inspection queue. Had I found this page sooner, I could have saved myself some time going through US Federal Register pages (not fun!).

So in summary, based on information detailed on CBP sites:
- Canadians can enter the US solely with a NEXUS card by land or sea when travelling within the Western Hemisphere. The CBP goes as far as to say that Canadians can enter the US from Mexico using their NEXUS cards in the SENTRI lanes, if they register their vehicle -- but the WHTI makes clear that they can use their NEXUS cards for entry in a regular lane from Mexico if their vehicle is not registered.
- Canadians can enter the US solely with a NEXUS card when travelling by air into the US into Canada, regardless of whether they are on a pre-cleared flight or not. On a non-pre-cleared flight, you are supposed to get into a regular immigration queue if you only have a NEXUS card on you.

It is unclear what the rules are if a Canadian tries to enter the US by air from a third country, but frankly that's not a realistic situation anyways, as Canadians would need a passport to enter the third country to begin with.

I originally thought you were arguing that Canadians need a passport if travelling to the US by air if not using a Global Entry kiosk at the departure airport. Now I have no idea what you're arguing! One is never guaranteed entry in another country unless you're a citizen, but as a Canadian NEXUS cardholder, not carrying a passport shouldn't be a reason to be denied entry to the US.

Last edited by SuperCargo; Apr 10, 18 at 3:23 pm Reason: Edited to be more civil
Old Apr 10, 18, 6:29 pm

californiadreamin' pointed out that the OP is asking what AC is allowing, NOT what is allowable or should be allowable by government agents.
AC can make policies that exceed the government requirements if it sees the need to do so. And customers that disagree with those policies are free to travel with another airline or mode of travel.
In my experience, AC has asked for passport when offered NEXUS for a number of different reasons ranging from ignorance to the need to update their records when I got a new passport or new NEXUS.
Arguing what the government policy is has been done in other threads with different titles.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 18, 8:59 pm

Yes, ignorant agents. Airline or immigration agents unaware that Canadians can travel with just a NEXUS card to the US.

I'm confused what we're arguing over here. You yourself have included documents in your reply saying that Canadians only need a NEXUS card to enter the US. Can you come up with a single situation, given the documents cited by myself and others, where a Canadian holding a NEXUS card would require a passport?

Again, I refer to the CBP:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...al-information

This includes this paragraph: "All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or a NEXUS card when departing from Canada. Please be advised that if arriving in the United States on a flight not pre-cleared by the CBP in Canada, Global entry kiosks cannot be used by passengers only holding a NEXUS card, and the regular inspection lanes have to be used." That paragraph is entirely clear: if you are Canadian travelling to the US on a non-pre-cleared flight with just a NEXUS card, you have to get into a regular inspection queue. Had I found this page sooner, I could have saved myself some time going through US Federal Register pages (not fun!).

So in summary, based on information detailed on CBP sites:
- Canadians can enter the US solely with a NEXUS card by land or sea when travelling within the Western Hemisphere. The CBP goes as far as to say that Canadians can enter the US from Mexico using their NEXUS cards in the SENTRI lanes, if they register their vehicle -- but the WHTI makes clear that they can use their NEXUS cards for entry in a regular lane from Mexico if their vehicle is not registered.
- Canadians can enter the US solely with a NEXUS card when travelling by air into the US into Canada, regardless of whether they are on a pre-cleared flight or not. On a non-pre-cleared flight, you are supposed to get into a regular immigration queue if you only have a NEXUS card on you.

It is unclear what the rules are if a Canadian tries to enter the US by air from a third country, but frankly that's not a realistic situation anyways, as Canadians would need a passport to enter the third country to begin with.

I originally thought you were arguing that Canadians need a passport if travelling to the US by air if not using a Global Entry kiosk at the departure airport. Now I have no idea what you're arguing! One is never guaranteed entry in another country unless you're a citizen, but as a Canadian NEXUS cardholder, not carrying a passport shouldn't be a reason to be denied entry to the US.
You're edging so much closer to stating facts without the segways you otherwise engage in. You are simply not guaranteed entry by NEXUS card alone when arriving at a US CBP facility in several instances. It is true that you may be carrying your passport anyway, but that's not the point. As for leaving the US, check-in agents at US airports are required to verify and enter your required documentation to your final destination due to APIS being required by most countries. So, NEXUS members cannot use the card to travel, for example, DEN-YUL-CDG.
Twist and turn all you want, I will not revisit the thread. And Canadian or US NEXUS holders who are permanent residents and not citizens of Canada or the US are especially cautioned to travel with their alternate documents. Good luck should you choose to argue with an airline or customs agent, ignorant or not.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: