Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Old Mar 17, 18, 9:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by tomvancouver View Post
The year before, when I had already entered passport information into the "advance passenger information" at OLCI, and then attempted to use Nexus only, I was asked at the gate for my passport (because they were expecting it, as it was in the AC system as my means of citizenship ID I guess). I asked what would have happened if I didn't have it on me, and was told that they would still have let me board, but it would have taken longer to process me.
This is a question of document verification. If you OLCI using your passport, that's the document the system tells them they need to verify. I've never had them try at the gate, but I had to do this once with WS at check-in (the story I mentioned above). Good to know that AC could change it even at the gate if necessary.
Old Mar 28, 18, 3:45 am

Programs: Miles & More
I now requested a correction of the CBP Website info saying Canadians can only enter the US without a passport if using preclearance, citing a message from my IATA contact, who clearly said the "Subject matter experts" in the US supplying information to them said that preclearance is no longer mandatory.

The website has been updated
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...M0eUtJbg%3D%3D
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det.../619/related/1
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Mar 28, 18, 11:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by ffsim View Post
I had read years ago that Canada does not allow its citizens to hold two valid Canadian passports simultaneously but that there were a handful of exceptions specifically for the reason you mention. Apparently if you can demonstrate that you need to conduct business both in Israel and other countries in the Middle East, there was some way to get a second passport. Can't find anything further on that today... I wonder if it's still a possibility. Anyone have further details?
There are two circumstances in which a person my hold more than one valid Canadian passport:

1) Travel to both Israel and to a country which will refuse admission to a person who has visited Israel. This has largely fallen away, as Israel will now provide entry and exit documentation on a separate document if arriving by air. The only time duplicate passports might be required is a journey involving entering Israel at a land border, and a subsequent visit to one of the handful of countries that will actively refuse admissione (e.g. the UAE) on the same trip.
2) A bearer of a Diplomatic or Special passport who is travelling to Taiwan. (The red or green passport must normally be surrendered for a blue passport unless the authorized travel includes both Taiwan and a state for which the diplomatic or special passport is required--i.e. a Foreign Service Officer posted in one country, travelling to Taiwan for personal or official travel and the receiving State won't put a diplomatic or consular acceptance in the blue passport). I've had to do the passport shuffle with a provincial premier who was on a trade delegation to Hongkong and separately visiting Taiwan afterwards.
ffsim and Bryan Tran like this.
Old Apr 2, 18, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jasdou View Post
YMMV. My Nexus card was accepted in GE machines in YUL and YYZ recently, but not in EWR. I had to use my passport in EWR instead.
NEXUS is a creature of Canada, the US, and several Caribbean countries and is not limited to citizens of those countries. It is not accepted as the sole document of entry to the US except at US preclearance stations.
Old Apr 2, 18, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Crazydre View Post
According to Timatic, NEXUS Cards work in GE machines except specifically for Canadians at US Airports (as opposed to preclearance)
Actually, the limitation is not Canadian citizenship, but rather the location of the GE machine. NEXUS is not accepted for entry to the US at a US airport's point of entry (immigration hall).
Old Apr 2, 18, 8:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by californiadreamin' View Post
NEXUS is a creature of Canada, the US, and several Caribbean countries and is not limited to citizens of those countries. It is not accepted as the sole document of entry to the US except at US preclearance stations.
Nexus is accepted as the sole document of entry to the U.S. I've made countless land crossings and a couple of water crossings using only the Nexus and I've entered the U.S. at airports when entering from other countries although that probably fails under the GE portion of the program.

Regarding Air Canada the document you booked with is the one they want to see whether it is Nexus or a passport.
Old Apr 2, 18, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
Nexus is accepted as the sole document of entry to the U.S. ...
I will choose to believe that you are not intentionally trying to confuse readers. To say that Nexus is accepted as the sole document of entry to the U.S. is simply not correct. NEXUS is indeed acceptable for entry via certain non-air applications however, you cannot use a NEXUS card to process through US immigration at a US airport. This thread is in FLYERtalk. NEXUS members who hold Canadian & US passports are accorded membership in GLOBAL ENTRY, a passport program allowing machine-based initial procesing when used at US airports, as well as at US preclearance points in Canada. NEXUS cards are valid for use at those GE machines located at preclearance facilities at the Canadian airports where offered.

Last edited by californiadreamin'; Apr 2, 18 at 10:06 am Reason: Typos
Old Apr 7, 18, 10:52 am

NEXUS is not accepted for entry to the US at a US airport's point of entry (immigration hall).
you cannot use a NEXUS card to process through US immigration at a US airport
That's completely wrong, and I recently explicitly got it confirmed by my Timatic contact - a NEXUS card issued to an American/Canadian is always valid for entry to the US by air from Canada. Only Thing is, a Canadian entering the US at a US Airport can't use GE, but has to use "regular inspection lines". Whether APC would work (being the Standard for Canadians at many Airports These days) is unclear to me

In fact, I sent a request to the CBP that their site get updated, citing the Information from Timatic, and it ended up getting updated
Old Apr 7, 18, 1:23 pm

Programs: *G
Only Thing is, a Canadian entering the US at a US Airport can't use GE, but has to use "regular inspection lines".
In keeping with the trend on this thread of disputing the information posted, I have definitely done this (as part of an FT Megado no less, but it was a few years ago). Immigration waits at ORD were in excess of 4 hours for non US citizens and 2 hours for US citizens. I bypassed it all, used GE, and was out of there in two minutes.
Crazydre likes this.
Old Apr 7, 18, 1:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
That's completely wrong, and I recently explicitly got it confirmed by my Timatic contact - a NEXUS card issued to an American/Canadian is always valid for entry to the US by air from Canada. Only Thing is, a Canadian entering the US at a US Airport can't use GE, but has to use "regular inspection lines". Whether APC would work (being the Standard for Canadians at many Airports These days) is unclear to me

In fact, I sent a request to the CBP that their site get updated, citing the Information from Timatic, and it ended up getting updated
We agree on the first part not the second. I am a Canadian citizen and have entered the U.S.A.:

1) From Canada at airports in the U.S.A. on charter and private flights using my Nexus. (DEN, INL, ORD)
2) From other countries through the Global Entry line using my Nexus/GE card. (JFK, MIA)
Crazydre likes this.
Old Apr 7, 18, 2:30 pm

We agree on the first part not the second. I am a Canadian citizen and have entered the U.S.A.:

1) From Canada at airports in the U.S.A. on charter and private flights using my Nexus. (DEN, INL, ORD)
2) From other countries through the Global Entry line using my Nexus/GE card. (JFK, MIA)
I see, even better then! Thankfully that informational detail in Timatic is immaterial to whether to board a passenger or not
Originally Posted by fin 645 View Post
In keeping with the trend on this thread of disputing the information posted, I have definitely done this (as part of an FT Megado no less, but it was a few years ago). Immigration waits at ORD were in excess of 4 hours for non US citizens and 2 hours for US citizens. I bypassed it all, used GE, and was out of there in two minutes.
Weird, but really nice to know!

Only remaining Task: making ground handling companies at US and Canadian airports adjust their minds to the regulations as published in Timatic, so they don't incorrectly refuse Boarding to Pax only Holding a NEXUS Card, which seems depressingly common judging by this and other threads.

The Airlines (AC and United at least) seem perfectly Aware based on my phone calls to them (though not Porter), but not the ground handling companies who actually perform check-in.

Last edited by Crazydre; Apr 7, 18 at 2:38 pm
Old Apr 7, 18, 2:36 pm

Do you not realize that you are negating your own points with all your caveats and raising needless confusion? How many Canadians fly into a US airport from Canada and post-clear immigration at a US airport (rather than via a pre-clearance facility in Canada)?
If entering via US customs at a US land crossing from Mexico, or at a US airport from anywhere besides Canada, a NEXUS card is just not sufficient for Canadian NEXUS cardholders. Passport is required. Having a NEXUS card may allow Canadian passport holders to use GE machines to expedite processing however, the cardholder must be in possession of a valid passport whether or not s/he is challenged to present it. Let us not confuse administrative functionality with legal requirements.

Last edited by californiadreamin'; Apr 7, 18 at 2:41 pm Reason: Typo2
Old Apr 7, 18, 4:36 pm

I now requested a correction of the CBP Website info saying Canadians can only enter the US without a passport if using preclearance, citing a message from my IATA contact, who clearly said the "Subject matter experts" in the US supplying information to them said that preclearance is no longer mandatory.

The website has been updated
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...M0eUtJbg%3D%3D
AS NOTED THEREIN:
All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or a NEXUS card WHEN DEPARTING FROM CANADA. Please be advised that if arriving in the United States on a flight not pre-cleared by the CBP in Canada, Global entry kiosks cannot be used by passengers only holding a NEXUS card, and the regular inspection lanes have to be used.
This url is not a website explaining the rules, rather, it is an answer to a question posted or FAQ. THE ENTIRE ASSUMPTION HERE IS THAT THE CANADIAN CITIZEN IS ENTERING THE U.S. OFF A FLIGHT DEPARTING FROM CANADA. THE VAST, OVERWHELMING NUMBER OF THESE COME FROM PR-CLEARED AIRPORTS. THERE IS NO MENTION IN THIS NARROW RESPONSE OF CANADIANS ENTERING THE U.S. AT A U.S. CBP POINT-OF-ENTRY FROM OTHER COUNTRIES.

AS NOTED THEREIN:
All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or a NEXUS card when departing from Canada.
THE ANSWER ON THIS ITEM REVEALS A MORE VALID RESPONSE, BUT OBVIOUSLY, NOT ALL READERS IN THIS FORUM ARE GETTING THE NUANCE.
You know, we've ventured a long way off from the original post that suggests that "AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?" Most of the talk has been not about leaving a U.S. airport by air to Canada, but rather, the documents required to ENTER the U.S. either when departing from a pre-clearance airport, or arriving into the U.S. for post-clearance by CBP.
Old Apr 7, 18, 7:05 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
It should not be a surprise that you cannot enter the USA using NEXUS if you are flying from say, Nigeria.

Is anyone really taken aback by that?

The Global Entry machines will also detect you are coming from an international location.

But USA-CAN air travel can be done solely with NEXUS and without issue.
Old Apr 7, 18, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS

Regarding Air Canada the document you booked with is the one they want to see whether it is Nexus or a passport.
That's not true either. I consistently use my NEXUS for OLCI and am asked for the passport over 25% of the time when I get to the AC bag-drop agent.

My recollection of the CBP website is that NEXUS is acceptable at CBP GE machines at US preclearance, and I *think* at land crossing, but not at other airport entry points.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: