Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Old Mar 16, 18, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer View Post
Thanks for this link. Last month, I entered US pre-clearance at YVR using only my NEXUS card and an expired Cdn passport with holes punched in it. The officer waved me through with a "technically, you're not supposed to..." remark which, it appears from your source, may not have been entirely accurate. I had a second (non-Cdn) passport in my pocket, but using it would have created a bit more delay than simply presenting my NEXUS card and explaining my passport was in the process of being renewed. I don't know what Badenoch looks like, and was fearing his fuming presence behind me, even though I was on my time, and there were at least five other agents he could choose.
That page says you can use the card in the kiosk. It doesn't say you don't need to carry a valid passport.
Old Mar 16, 18, 3:51 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by fin 645 View Post
My only complication has been leaving a country that does do checks on one of that country's passports but wanting to enter Canada on a Canadian passport - the AC system can't handle it, but they are accustomed to the work around (eg Australia).
Am I understanding you correctly? Is it a complication to board an airplane abroad using a non-Canadian passport, yet present yourself to Canadian immigration using your Canadian passport? First, I do that all the time, and second, how would AC know what you use once you step off their plane, and/or why would you input both documents into their system?
Old Mar 16, 18, 4:05 pm

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
That page says you can use the card in the kiosk. It doesn't say you don't need to carry a valid passport.
Nevertheless you don't when flying US-Canada, be it in Canada or the US (preclearance or not). And except for Canadians at US airports, yes, the card works in GE kiosks.

I now called the CBP at SFO, ORD and EWR to ask if Canadians can use NEXUS cards in APC (rather than GE). They said you can't, and should go in the "special assistance" lane. SFO and EWR said the blue customs form is needed in that case, but ORD said it isn't.

Last edited by Crazydre; Mar 16, 18 at 4:30 pm
Old Mar 16, 18, 5:05 pm

It doesn't say you don't need to carry a valid passport.
And as it turns out, I didn't.
Old Mar 16, 18, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And as it turns out, I didn't.
Yeah, and I know there's been debate over whether the passport is needed at all if you have your NEXUS card. I don't know the current policy. But I also don't really care. I'm going to carry my passport, because that's less work than fighting with agents.

Though I can't remember the last time I pulled it out on a purely transborder itinerary.
Old Mar 16, 18, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Crazydre View Post
Well NEXUS technically isn't valid other than if flying from the US. Still weird, as Canadians do enter Canada by right
Remember NEXUS is also offered to US Citizens and Permanent Residents of both countries. Permanent Residents do not have rights to enter Canada or US unless they are deemed admissible & have satisfied visa requirements.

Originally Posted by Crazydre View Post
Nevertheless you don't when flying US-Canada, be it in Canada or the US (preclearance or not). And except for Canadians at US airports, yes, the card works in GE kiosks..
I never had any luck making the card work at the GE kiosks....ended up using passports as our backup
Old Mar 17, 18, 9:14 am

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
Yeah, and I know there's been debate over whether the passport is needed at all if you have your NEXUS card. I don't know the current policy. But I also don't really care. I'm going to carry my passport, because that's less work than fighting with agents.

Though I can't remember the last time I pulled it out on a purely transborder itinerary.
I got my first NEXUS card many years ago now, and the policy may have evolved since then ... but at the NEXUS interview, I remember very clearly being told by the officer that the NEXUS was just a convenience; I was still required to have all my documentation (aka passport) with me, and that using my NEXUS card when I did not have my passport with me was a violation.
Old Mar 17, 18, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by canopus27 View Post
I remember very clearly being told by the officer that the NEXUS was just a convenience; I was still required to have all my documentation (aka passport) with me, and that using my NEXUS card when I did not have my passport with me was a violation.
I don't recall being told that. Nor could I find a statement to that effect on either the CBSA or CBP websites. The closest applicable reference to requiring passports is contained within the link that flyquiet gave us above:

When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.

I'm no lawyer, but I interpret this as "NEXUS members can access the GE kiosks outside the nine Canadian preclearance airports, but you must use your passport to clear them". This would obviously imply that you need to travel with your passport, and is supported by my experience entering at MIA in the GE lanes from Central America.

But there's no written requirement that I could find mandating crossings by NEXUS card holders into the US from Canada or into Canada from the US by air, road or sea with your passport in hand. In fact there's the opposite found within CBSA's FAQ section in answer to the question Q: Can I use my NEXUS card as proof of identification and citizenship in non-NEXUS lanes when entering Canada? A: Yes. If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, and a NEXUS member, you may use your membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air (when coming from the U.S.) or boat when using non-NEXUS lanes.

Note: Mexican NEXUS members are required to carry their passports and an eTA to enter or transit Canada.

In the various violation sections of both agencies' websites, there are plenty of ways to be in contravention of the rules, but not carrying a passport is not listed among them.

It certainly is a tangled web of trusted travel programs and how, where, when and with what supporting documentation you can use the various lanes of entry.
Old Mar 17, 18, 11:12 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
I got my first NEXUS card many years ago now, and the policy may have evolved since then ... but at the NEXUS interview, I remember very clearly being told by the officer that the NEXUS was just a convenience; I was still required to have all my documentation (aka passport) with me, and that using my NEXUS card when I did not have my passport with me was a violation.
I have had Nexus for many years now including getting it renewed. When the program first started, you were required to carry your passport as well. Very rarely, CBP would randomly demand to see passports to ensure you had it. Now a passport is no longer required for travel between Canada and US and the opposite. This is for regular Canadian and US citizens on these two countries passports - if you have TN, green card, resident cards, landed immigrant status, etc you will/may need to have your passport along with those docs. Travelling from other countries outside the US and Canada requires a passport. As I stated earlier, I carry a passport at all times because small outstations and some airline employees do not know the rules and demand passports. I politely advise them that a passport is not required but I will show it if the insist.
Some of the confusion that I have seen is at doc check by airline staff at the gate - this is because the passenger had used a passport while checking in on-line and is now attempting to board the aircraft with a Nexus card - in this case the agent wants to see the passport as that is what is in the system, using a Nexus at this point requires them to enter the Nexus info which is why they demand the passport.
Old Mar 17, 18, 12:10 pm

I don't recall being told that. Nor could I find a statement to that effect on either the CBSA or CBP websites. The closest applicable reference to requiring passports is contained within the link that flyquiet gave us above:
I am one of those oldies (thats what CBSA and CBP calls me now when they see my NEXUS membership number). The program has evolved over the years....

1. NEXUS + CanPass/iris in mid 2000s
- it was only a RFID card that allow you access dedicated NEXUS lanes when crossing by land
- your allowed to call into CBSA/CBP if going by boat
- if you were additionally enrolled into CanPass/iris (for free at an airport enrollment office) you could use CBSA/CBP iris machines at Canadian airports
- cards were very basic (white, red/blue stripe with basic information)
- passport was a mandatory requirement
- CBSA required land base declarations be made on a Traveller's Declaration Card (the voucher you submitted will be charged to your credit card)

2. Around 2010ish.....
- improved NEXUS card
- still very little recognition of NEXUS card as a form of acceptable ID
- communication NEXUS card can be a supplement to passport between US/Canada for citizens
- US CBP had RFID readers at all lanes for land based crossings
- Canadian side only had RFID readers at NEXUS lanes, but ran background checks inside booth
- Global Entry was a separate program from NEXUS and had to be additionally enrolled (for free at an airport enrollment office)
- US CBP officers at non-Canadian airports had no idea what NEXUS was and you have a Global Entry sticker on your passport
- Allowed to make verbal declarations at CBSA land based borders
- Passport requirement is YMMV

3. Now......
- Greater recognition of NEXUS as form of ID (especially since the introduction of TSA Pre Check & security priorities at Canadian airports)
- All US CBP and CBSA has RFID readers either equipped to the driving lane or inside their booth
- Automatic renewal for low risk applicants
- US CBP has removed the iris machines
- Integration of NEXUS into the Global Entry system (application & entry systems)
- Passport & stamps is YMMV
Old Mar 17, 18, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was also told that in 2011.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Mar 17, 18, 3:42 pm

Programs: *G
I was also told that in 2011.
I was also told that at my first interview, but I also had the impression that only applied to travel by air, ie, you could cross by car/boat with only Nexus and no passport. But judging by this thread, there remains confusion (and this is not the first thread about the Nexus/passport issue).
Old Mar 17, 18, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fin 645 View Post
I was also told that at my first interview, but I also had the impression that only applied to travel by air, ie, you could cross by car/boat with only Nexus and no passport. But judging by this thread, there remains confusion (and this is not the first thread about the Nexus/passport issue).
I also seem to recall something about it only applying to travel by air. But I get yelled at the one time I handed over my NEXUS card driving YVR to SEA, told that I always need to give him my passport (I had a TN at the time, but was not trying to enter the country on the TN).

I carry my NEXUS and Permanent Residence cards in my wallet, and I carry my passport whenever I travel. I give them what I think they want, but I can always produce the other documents. Much less hassle.
Old Mar 17, 18, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC50 MM
In the last year I've used Nexus only, for both land and air crossings (both ways) without passport backup.
The year before, when I had already entered passport information into the "advance passenger information" at OLCI, and then attempted to use Nexus only, I was asked at the gate for my passport (because they were expecting it, as it was in the AC system as my means of citizenship ID I guess). I asked what would have happened if I didn't have it on me, and was told that they would still have let me board, but it would have taken longer to process me.

Mostly its no hassle having a passport with me, so I take it along for transborder. Occasionally (as in last year), I don't.
Old Mar 17, 18, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Exclamation

Let's try and return this thread to how it relates specifically to AC rather than the wider topic of NEXUS cards which is better discussed in the Trusted Travelers FT forum.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: