Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANZ Reward availability

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:44 pm

There is sporadic space close-ish to departure. This is a relatively new development after ANZ had pretty much zeroed out award space for years.

Back in March when I was considering a trip to NZ in April, I was offered my choice of ANZ J flights from SFO/LAX/YVR to AKL.

In early December I booked 2 x LAX-AKL in J for a relative departing on December 23rd.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by hearna
Recently?

NZ only started AKL-IAH in December 2015.

Basicly NZ is in Star Alliance for the sticker on the door, and nothing else.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
NZ only started AKL-IAH in December 2015.

Basicly NZ is in Star Alliance for the sticker on the door, and nothing else.
Hardly. NZ is actually one of the more generous Star Alliance members: they treat *G as their own Golds/Elites for preferred seating, as well as for carry-on baggage allowance.

This in additional to the standard lounge access, checked baggage allowance, priority boarding/security that comes from being *G

It's not all about award seats that determines Star Alliance ties. NZ's award program is dollar-based like WestJet and a bit different for them to release classic award saver space that even their own members cannot access.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tng11
There is sporadic space close-ish to departure. This is a relatively new development after ANZ had pretty much zeroed out award space for years.

Back in March when I was considering a trip to NZ in April, I was offered my choice of ANZ J flights from SFO/LAX/YVR to AKL.

In early December I booked 2 x LAX-AKL in J for a relative departing on December 23rd.
Yeah I have not been able to find anything to NA (YVR,SFO,LAX,IAH)... I do see sporadic availability to AU and I know in the past at least any of the 767 routes, particularly China/Japan usually has some, although I believe now they are gone to 787 so suspect the availability has no doubt dried up.

I am trying to avoid returning to NA via ASIA, as it is slightly time consuming. I guess I will have to settle for UA 772 :S
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:54 pm

Australia to YVR one way on AC only has about $150 in YQ...

doesn't work the same on a roundtrip ticket...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:06 pm

Yeah I have not been able to find anything to NA (YVR,SFO,LAX,IAH)... I do see sporadic availability to AU and I know in the past at least any of the 767 routes, particularly China/Japan usually has some, although I believe now they are gone to 787 so suspect the availability has no doubt dried up.

I am trying to avoid returning to NA via ASIA, as it is slightly time consuming. I guess I will have to settle for UA 772 :S
The 787-9 routes to Asia are also sporadically available in the 1-2 month window prior to departure.

For instance, there is AKL-NRT availability on the 789 on 7 days through February and 4 days in March. AKL-PVG also has a similar availability pattern.

I see 3 days through January and 2 days in early Feb with direct AKL-LAX availability as well. Not much, but it's a welcome improvement from the completely zeroed out inventory. I'm also not surprised availability isn't great during the southern hemisphere summer season - in low season last year the ANZ award availability was much better.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Before willing to settle for UA, I suggest you look for I space.
You are in for nasty surprise.

UA is no longer releasing I on ASIA or Pacific routes. Been like this for past 3 years.

If you are UA GS /1K, just WL the date you want & IM will clear it in 24/48 hours.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jan 8, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by crimsona
Australia to YVR one way on AC only has about $150 in YQ...

doesn't work the same on a roundtrip ticket...
On AC YVR-SYD/BNE-YVR is C$98.00 each way. Works both ways.

United is the same as above. UA IM cleared 4 award seats in Business last week. Total taxes for 4 RT: C$764.80

Thus UA YQ are not lower than AC .
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:08 pm

If you book AC as a roundtrip ticket to take advantage of stopovers without super elite, it's 800 YQ

Sample dates: YVR to bne roundtrip October 19 -November 8

Premium economy there, business back 810 YQ, 960 total per person

Last edited by crimsona; Jan 8, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Before willing to settle for UA, I suggest you look for I space.
You are in for nasty surprise.

UA is no longer releasing I on ASIA or Pacific routes. Been like this for past 3 years.

If you are UA GS /1K, just WL the date you want & IM will clear it in 24/48 hours.
Funny, I know a UA 1K who's waitlisted a bunch of domestic transcons (it's been over a month), and nothing's cleared. And that's only one passenger.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, SPG Gold
I did a return award YVR-AKL, AKL-LAX-YVR on ANZ in Nov/Dec. Booked about 6 weeks before. I was extremely flexible for dates and that was pretty much all I could find but was really excited I was able to book on ANZ after years of no availability. They seemed to have released (in low season) seats 2 months out. Or it could have been a cancellation.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
On AC YVR-SYD/BNE-YVR is C$98.00 each way. Works both ways.

United is the same as above. UA IM cleared 4 award seats in Business last week. Total taxes for 4 RT: C$764.80

Thus UA YQ are not lower than AC .
UA generally don't charge YQ for award tickets. Are you sure these are YQ surcharges, rather than airport taxes/fees?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:20 am

Three years ago, after paying to get to AKL on my own dime from YYC to AKL, I was able to use aeroplan redemption for 4 from AKL to SYD with MEL/ WLG (23 hour layover)/AKL return. Total taxes for 4 was $355.52 and 100,000 AP points.

Today a similar itinerary is still bookable and would be 4 x 30,000 AP Points and $520 in taxes for 2 Adults, 2 Children.

Last edited by cgyroof; Jan 10, 2017 at 10:26 am
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cgyroof
Three years ago, after paying to get to AKL on my own dime from YYC to AKL, I was able to use aeroplan redemption for 4 from AKL to SYD with MEL/ WLG (23 hour layover)/AKL return. Total taxes for 4 was $355.52 and 100,000 AP points.

Today a similar itinerary is still bookable and would be 4 x 30,000 AP Points and $520 in taxes for 2 Adults, 2 Children.
yeah... kinda irrelevant...

Thanks for READING the posts and stopping by...

I did see there is a few Y seats on NZ about 2 to 3 weeks out, but when J pops up, its only 1 seat.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:58 pm

Based on the fact others were suggesting getting as far as SYD on points, I was suggesting that you could then use more points to continue on to NZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.