Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Being YYC based myself, the connecting priority YYZ-YYC flights seem to route through YOW, YUL, and YVR a lot. Half of them, the long segment are in economy (I.e. YVR-YYZ) and the short segment is in business (YYC-YVR).
maybe you should search for flights to YUL and see if you get routed through YYZ? Then just no show for the final
leg.

I have no idea if that would work btw. I am just disgusted with AC.

why limit it to 10 if it no longer works at all? Total dick move by AC.

And one more thing since this sort of nonsense really makes it clear. When people here on FT ask, and I will paraphrase: "Why can't you be nicer to the Bens so they will post and answer questions?" This is why. There is nothing nice or respectful about the way AC management treats its best customers. And let me be very clear that I think the front line staff are good to great. But when AC management treats its customers with dishonesty and a total lack of transparency, there is clearly no reason why they deserve any better for us. And I would further point out that even in the private correspondence that was posted above, they still couldn't be honest in the sense of providing information. All that was said was, yep, R space no longer means anything. He could have added "so F-U" and barely been any more rude.

Random days YYC-YYZ in June: no IKK in J at all, on any day, on any direct flight. Zero. Even one stop routes only available for midnight and 7 am departures. Give yourself a giant one handed clap AC management.

Last edited by ridefar; Jan 8, 2017 at 10:03 pm
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Wow. I was looking for some IKK availability for my wife to travel with me and the options are abysmal.
What are the odds this is a two month "feature" so 2016 drop out SE's can't use their benefits before they expire at the end of February?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
What are the odds this is a two month "feature" so 2016 drop out SE's can't use their benefits before they expire at the end of February?
You are speculating that they are punishing their good customers to spite their departing ones?

Last edited by ridefar; Jan 9, 2017 at 10:07 am
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I thought domestic IKK was unconditional as long as J seats were available and the flight wasn't oversold.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
You beat me too it. That's exactly what I was speculating. If departing SEs are going to empty their accounts with their IKK better for AC not to have them take the J inventory.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Originally Posted by The Lev
I thought domestic IKK was unconditional as long as J seats were available and the flight wasn't oversold.
That is only for Economy seats, IKK for domestic J was always based on R.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
You beat me too it. That's exactly what I was speculating. If departing SEs are going to empty their accounts with their IKK better for AC not to have them take the J inventory.
Even departing SEs have earned those privileges and points.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
Even departing SEs have earned those privileges and points.
That is where you are mistaken (or slightly out of date). As of 2017, none of us have earned those privileges, according to AC.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:53 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Confirmed by Ben Lipsey in an email this week and reported on another thread:

"I should also mention that many of the consumer tools used to check inventory (e.g. ExpertFlyer) are not actually able to search for true IKK availability, assuming you are simply searching for R class, as Aeroplan uses a different system that checks based on different criteria, so I might be careful about drawing conclusions based on that alone."

Availability has indeed shrunk dramatically recently.
Perhaps what Ben said is true, but in the past, whenever R>0, IKK was available.

So if AC actually has some other hidden fare bucket, let's call it RN for the hell of it, that governs IKK, then AC must have divorced that bucket from R. So if, in the past, RN = R, but now RN ≠ R (and RN usually = 0), that's a huge change to the program.

Either way, it seems they're killing J IKK. Which further reduces the benefits of SE status and makes me glad I haven't booked much 2017 travel yet. Should probably also ditch my Aeroplan credit cards.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE
Has anyone wondered if this has anything to do with trying to keep space available for the new AC Bid Upgrade program. I recall that they said something about it not affecting e- upgrades but it certainly seems like it. Just wondering
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by torontoSE
Has anyone wondered if this has anything to do with trying to keep space available for the new AC Bid Upgrade program. I recall that they said something about it not affecting e- upgrades but it certainly seems like it. Just wondering
I was wondering the same thing
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Just curious but has everyone ruled out an IT error? Am I the only one hopeful that this is simply a mistake and that they wouldn't compleatly gut the program like this? It's impossible to even IKK a J ticket 6 months out now for domestic TCON - this isn't a reduction but a total elimination of a benefit if it's not an IT error.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by The Lev
That was long ago and seemingly temporary . . . (after the full IKK died initially)
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Just curious but has everyone ruled out an IT error? Am I the only one hopeful that this is simply a mistake and that they wouldn't compleatly gut the program like this? It's impossible to even IKK a J ticket 6 months out now for domestic TCON - this isn't a reduction but a total elimination of a benefit if it's not an IT error.
My impression is that the current disparity that we are seeing is not intended and they are looking into it. I am hopeful for a fix or a reasonable clarification^

I see most people's intent is the same, ie. not to convey some grand conspiracy that AC has against us (they don't) but just to fix a real problem that has definitely gotten worse.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Confirmed by Ben Lipsey in an email this week and reported on another thread:

"I should also mention that many of the consumer tools used to check inventory (e.g. ExpertFlyer) are not actually able to search for true IKK availability, assuming you are simply searching for R class, as Aeroplan uses a different system that checks based on different criteria, so I might be careful about drawing conclusions based on that alone."

Availability has indeed shrunk dramatically recently.
My impression is that the current disparity that we are seeing is not intended and they are looking into it. I am hopeful for a fix or a reasonable clarification^

I see most people's intent is the same, ie. not to convey some grand conspiracy that AC has against us (they don't) but just to fix a real problem that has definitely gotten worse.
I sure hope the mistake/glitch theory is the cause. This is a couple of orders of magnitude more restrictive than the 10 priority rewards limit.

However, I can still see them killing off J priority rewards for the sake of trying to get more LMU and upgrade bid revenue. Y seats are plentiful, so they've left Y IKK alone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.