Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can't book google flights itinerary on AC website... phone agent is useless

Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hi all

I'm attempting to book this itinerary through Air Canada:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...0;mp=1300;eo=e

We want the long layovers in Vancouver to catch up with friends and family in both directions. I tried searching the AC website and it only offers flights with short layovers in Vancouver, it doesn't even display the flights shown as an option.

Unfortunately we need to book through Air Canada because I have a 25% off coupon with them.

I tried phoning, and I got through to a phone agent. I explained the problem, and he asked me for the flights I wanted to book. After explaining the first flight, he asked me to hold and then didn't come back. Is there a better way to get this done? Or am I doomed to spending hours on the phone to Air Canada to make this happen??
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by david_oz
Hi all

We want the long layovers in Vancouver to catch up with friends and family in both directions. I tried searching the AC website and it only offers flights with short layovers in Vancouver, it doesn't even display the flights shown as an option.

Unfortunately we need to book through Air Canada because I have a 25% off coupon with them.

I tried phoning, and I got through to a phone agent. I explained the problem, and he asked me for the flights I wanted to book. After explaining the first flight, he asked me to hold and then didn't come back. Is there a better way to get this done? Or am I doomed to spending hours on the phone to Air Canada to make this happen??

I assume you were trying to book that exact itinerary?

IIRC from a conversation with an agent, on Domestic and TB flights, the maximum stop is 4 hours. On an international flight, it's 24 hours, and I've built it into a ticket. I did it with an agent, but it was fine.

But, mine was all AC-metal, so I'm not sure if VA in the mix is the hiccup. Others here would know better.

Also did you look into this on the AC site:

"The Air Canada Stopover" program. Not sure if this interests you.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ver/index.html

QUOTE:

"Relax between flights and visit Canada at no additional airfare. If you're travelling with Air Canada, in addition to ease of travel, you now have the unique opportunity to sample and explore exciting Canadian cities en route to your destination.

Break your journey in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, North America's most convenient hubs, and stay one night in Canada. You can even opt for a second Canadian stopover on your return flight."
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
you can't use a coupon code on the phone, with a google/ITA click-thru link, with a non AC codeshare flight, or even on ac.com on a multicity.

Only good for 25% off a plain-jane nonstop or round trip. In many cases, to AC anyways, 25% off really means "25% *OF* 25% off". (a flight to Syndey or London may be $1 base fare + 99% tax and fuel surcharge. guess which amount gets the 25% discount)
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Hi all

update. I called back, and the guy said because he doesn't see those flight times on the website, it can't be booked. I'm still not convinced this is the final answer...
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@david_oz

I forgot about this so thanks to expert7700 for the reminder.

Originally Posted by expert7700
you can't use a coupon code on the phone, with a google/ITA click-thru link, with a non AC codeshare flight, or even on ac.com on a multicity.

Only good for 25% off a plain-jane nonstop or round trip. In many cases, to AC anyways, 25% off really means "25% *OF* 25% off".
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:09 pm

update. I called back, and the guy said because he doesn't see those flight times on the website, it can't be booked. I'm still not convinced this is the final answer...
if you call back, you can get it all on one ticket but can't use a promo code via phone. The best tip is to tell the agent it's a long mulicity but don't give them the full route at once. "I have many segments" first is ACxxx 1/3/17, next ACyyy 1/3/17, etc. The system should calculate roughly the same cost as Google Flights. If it doesn't, the agent isn't seeing or choosing same fare basis as google. Which can get messy reconciling.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
In many cases, to AC anyways, 25% off really means "25% *OF* 25% off". (a flight to Syndey or London may be $1 base fare + 99% tax and fuel surcharge. guess which amount gets the 25% discount)
+100%

Exactly, just received $195 airfare credit on return leg of YVR-LHR, and then a separate refund for $519 for YQ and taxes - go figure.

So OP, your coupon might NOT be worth as much as you think, even if you only fly AC metal only.

Try widening your search with ITA MATRIX (google based) - you can specify X:YVR in the advanced routing code in both directions - you may find something that fits your interest (and yes, 4 hour max Can/USA connection, and 24 hour elsewhere)

However, with ITA MATRIX, cannot though book like Google Flight - but you can get all the airfare / routing code details and take to travel agent.

good luck...
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea
+100%
However, with ITA MATRIX, cannot though book like Google Flight - but you can get all the airfare / routing code details and take to travel agent.
not true. firefox add-on can show clickable booking links to ITA Matrix site. Exact name eludes me, but ITA tools or Greasemonkey something come to mind.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:43 pm
Suspended

not true. firefox add-on can show clickable booking links to ITA Matrix site. Exact name eludes me, but ITA tools or Greasemonkey something come to mind.
Program called HipMunk, and waste of time - at least for me.

https://www.hipmunk.com/tailwind/hip.../#.WGsrKlMrI4o

Tried this last year few times, and NOT once did HipMunk confirm an ITA-MATRIX itinerary forwarded to them.

Nice folks though, got back to me and tried to help but in the end, they could NOT deliver a ticket exactly as detailed in the MATRIX itinerary.

Who knows, they may be better now, but as first-mover I wasted a lot of time so I need to be convinced to try again.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:54 pm

Agree that Hipmunk isn't good but what I was trying to describe is: ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

If you install this it adds lots of 'book with' links right on the ITA Matrix search result page. Even lists total miles flown & cost per mile.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)

https://www.hipmunk.com/tailwind/hip.../#.WGsrKlMrI4o

Tried this last year few times, and NOT once did HipMunk confirm an ITA-MATRIX itinerary forwarded to them.

Nice folks though, got back to me and tried to help but in the end, they could NOT deliver a ticket exactly as detailed in the MATRIX itinerary.

Who knows, they may be better now, but as first-mover I wasted a lot of time so I need to be convinced to try again.
It's called ITA Matrix Powertools.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:10 pm
Suspended

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

maybe CanadianCow can explain how all this works - but possibly OP might find useful.

Have few weeks at client's hotel coming up, with nothing to do in evening - sub-saharan Africa not great for night life. Will give it a try.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:56 am

You can send this to a travel agent and they should be able to get the flights you want at the price you have. I still don't know how to apply the discount code on AC.com - their booking engine sucks.

I do remember CC mentioning once that he might have found a way to add discount codes to Google Flights booking links though - not sure if he made any progress on that though.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hydrogen
You can send this to a travel agent and they should be able to get the flights you want at the price you have. I still don't know how to apply the discount code on AC.com - their booking engine sucks.

I do remember CC mentioning once that he might have found a way to add discount codes to Google Flights booking links though - not sure if he made any progress on that though.
No, I was trying to find a way, but I was never successful.

Could have saved me quite a bit of money on EYW
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, I was trying to find a way, but I was never successful.

Could have saved me quite a bit of money on EYW
book a simple itinerary online that uses all the fares you plan to use and then call in and change it within 24h? Only works for simple itineraries though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.