Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada gifting MLL pass thread (2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This annual thread replaces the original 2008 - 2014 thread on the topic may be found here and the latest 2015 -2016 thread here.

Please note that due to recent updates to site-wide forum best practices Maple Leaf Lounge (MLL) entry passes may only be freely shared but not solicited in any form. Posts asking for passes will be deleted.

This thread isn't meant to serve as a substitute for the trading of airline instruments as those transactions are to be done within the Coupon Connection forum which does require a minimum number of posts & time on FT to be eligible to enter. This thread is meant to freely offer lounge entry passes to fellow forum members.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator

Rules for the MLL Guest Passes
(originally posted by yyznomand)

(Subject to change by Air Canada)

These Guest Passes expire at the end of February each year

For those of you seeking passes, please note the restrictions on which lounges these passes can be used.

* Valid until XXXXX, at Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and transborder departure zones of Canadian airports, along with those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia) only.

* Not valid for entry into Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges located in the international departure zones of Canadian airports, Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges located in international airports, Star Alliance airport lounges or affiliated lounges operated by other carriers

* When visiting an eligible Maple Leaf Lounge, this pass is valid in conjunction with a confirmed same-day departing ticket for a scheduled flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge.

This pass is not valid with any other airline

* A maximum of one Maple Leaf Lounge visit for one person is permitted with this pass

* Invitation of additional guests is not permitted with a Guest Pass

* Access is subject to space availability

(other rules are listed on the pass)
Print Wikipost

Air Canada gifting MLL pass thread (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So I book a latitude fare, ask for a pass, show my ticket, then cancel my ticket?

I've given passes to a fellow FTer who wanted to give them to a peon traveling friend. I'm not going to ask for their friend's ticket.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea
gesture admirable, yet what happens when traveler arrives at MLL and boasts they paid $100 each to kids sports team - could get awkward as this could be deemed a sale
I didn't get money for it, so I don't see how it's a sale.
If AC wants to go after me for helping raise money for a kids sports team I am all game to drag it through the news.

​​​
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by songsc
As for the serial code, I tried to read the 2D bar code with my eyes, and I didn't notice any difference with a quick glance. Maybe someone with a bar code scanner app can give a definitive answer?
I tried to give away my passes a while go and could not find them, otherwise I'd test.

But just get an app for your phone. (among other things, it can show you crazy amount of information in your BP dot code).
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by SKYEG
I have respected this member for quite a long time and you'd all be surprised as he/she used to be very active on the AC subforum. Out of this previous respect, I'll let it be. If they are breaking FT ToS and needs to be reported, I'll message a moderator.

In a forum with so much generosity and shared knowledge offered, I'd like to believe that this is an exceptional case...
​​
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Sorry to hear SKYEG.
As someone who has sent a few passes to FT members (and received a few as well), I hope the bad apple doesn't spoil it. I'm amazed someone would go through all this trouble to make $25?

Perhaps songsc's idea of a screen shot would weed this out
Disheartening indeed. I would say this is a case for FT and AC enforcement. Perhaps such a violation would remove them from the AE program, and future point earning potential. There needs to be consequences, not "enhanced" benefits and more difficult to use. When I give away passes, I typically qualify with "use this, or give to someone in your family or close friend/colleague". If it is cast off like a gum wrapper I would be annoyed. Sold I would be TO'd.

While in theory screen shots etc would be useful, I don't see this being practical for "community practice". Perhaps there are tweaks or other ideas. I personally feel that actual consequences would discourage such behaviour. A quick scan of a couple provinces found a couple dozen passes for sale.... half of which by 1 person. That's taking it to a whole other level.

If there were a "marketplace" * whereby people could see that a certain user has received X + Y passes/codes in the last 12mo with some transparency, presumably less hoarding would go on.

* Not an actual marketplace, no money or goods exchanged, just authenticated. Specifically, behind the scenes address uniqueness. No one wants personal info on an open forum.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I say @SKYEG out this person as per @SparseFlyer because YOLO!

Besides, there's not enough drama here. And trolling.
jc94 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I tried to give away my passes a while go and could not find them, otherwise I'd test.

But just get an app for your phone. (among other things, it can show you crazy amount of information in your BP dot code).
I scanned 2 MLL passes, 1 my own, and 1 listed for sale on line.

I do not believe this path will be helpful in what we're thinking.. tracking etc.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by eracerblue

I scanned 2 MLL passes, 1 my own, and 1 listed for sale on line.

I do not believe this path will be helpful in what we're thinking.. tracking etc.
What type of info are we looking at?

It's pretty ridiculous that we have to even consider these measures when it already takes time to buy stamps and mail it out... Really dissappointing. Doesn't seem like this is an isolated issue, the amount of MLL passes that are being sold online are pretty mind bogling. Is this against AC ToS to sell?

Last edited by SKYEG; Jan 1, 2018 at 10:05 am
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this against AC ToS to sell?
Yes. The wording is on the pass itself. Of course, I'm sure someone here would try to argue the spirit of this by nitpicking at something to prove a point.

and we as collective are not resorting to these measures... only some here are. My general rule of thumb is to gift passes to those I know personally for awhile.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Originally Posted by yyznomad
My general rule of thumb is to gift passes to those I know personally for awhile.
This.
And if I can't give them someone I know, then (as suggested upthread), I gift them to strangers at the airport. I look for someone checking in for an AC flight, ask them if they could use it, and gift it to them then and there. Makes both them and me feel good.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I'll be roaming about YYZ Domestic tomorrow evening (January 2nd) sometime around 21:30 and am giving out a handful of MLL passes.

I don't fly out usually at such a late hour, so will it make my worthwhile? Sure, people have up to February 28, but it'd be nice to see them take advantage of it immediately if they have hours to wait at YYZ.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:00 pm

What type of info are we looking at?
I will PM you
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:08 pm

Look out, some rocket science coming at you:

To remove the chance of illicit sales, there are spots in the upper right of the pass: Name, Date, Flight. Usually MLL agents fill in all the requisite details, but nowhere does it say this must be the case.

* So if you want to gift/mail it to a stranger, write their name in there.

* If they might be travelling with a family member or friend, get their names too.

* If they feel like specifying flights instead, that'll work.

* Worst case, DIY expiry by writing in the month that they said they would travel (eg Jan).
- This one doesn't eliminate sales wholly, but sure makes it da-- inconvenient.

If you trust the person, skip them and give them a blank "$50 cheque"... or as the black market values them, more like $30 (Still ambitious IMHO).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eracerblue
Look out, some rocket science coming at you:

To remove the chance of illicit sales, there are spots in the upper right of the pass: Name, Date, Flight. Usually MLL agents fill in all the requisite details, but nowhere does it say this must be the case.

* So if you want to gift/mail it to a stranger, write their name in there.

* If they might be travelling with a family member or friend, get their names too.

* If they feel like specifying flights instead, that'll work.

* Worst case, DIY expiry by writing in the month that they said they would travel (eg Jan).
- This one doesn't eliminate sales wholly, but sure makes it da-- inconvenient.

If you trust the person, skip them and give them a blank "$50 cheque"... or as the black market values them, more like $30 (Still ambitious IMHO).
ha. I never thought to bother filling in that information. For some reason I thought the staff filled it out or whatever.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yyznomad

ha. I never thought to bother filling in that information. For some reason I thought the staff filled it out or whatever.
Good idea. I’ve never seen staff fill it out mind, just scan it and the BP. Maybe the system does something with it.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:33 pm

Hey, I need 12 passes... can you help me get a few? My ... um, nephew's Hockey team is taking a trip, yeah. Um, and don't worry, they're all over 21 years old, eh?, and, Um, you can email me at
[email protected]
my address is
1 scam dr
Scamville,
North West Scamitories,
Cananda
​​​​​​​
Thanks!
iscam
Just got this message, should I send them passes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.