Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Latitude fare flight pass upgrades to business class

Latitude fare flight pass upgrades to business class

Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
+1 regarding the above posts.

Cancel and rebook then apply T-48 upgrade. Do it often, no issues.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you call in, I'd never explain my intentions though. Keep it simple.

"Hi, I'd like to cancel my upgrade please"

One task.

Once that's done, you can do the complimentary upgrade online.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:31 pm
alc

Just a reminder that if you do plan to use this booking toward any EYW bonus, whether you are aiming at top 10 / 30 / 50 or not, a cancel and rebook will disqualify all flights related to this booking.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by alc
Just a reminder that if you do plan to use this booking toward any EYW bonus, whether you are aiming at top 10 / 30 / 50 or not, a cancel and rebook will disqualify all flights related to this booking.
I actually have a flight in late November that I haven't bothered to upgrade.

I have an EF alert for Z<5, but I'm quite content to wait until T-48.

Mind you, it's 6am on a Wednesday, so I'm pretty confident it will be J1 on the Monday.

That's the other thing I should mention. I've basically stopped doing the eUp on these bookings. There's no point. There's always J space
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Cancelling and rebooking is often faster and easier, but I've never had an issue calling to switch the upgrade.
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I have done it the way suggested in the Ts & Cs. Just make sure that there is Y and J availability.
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I've always done it this way. - cancel and rebook once confirming its available. That's because I prefer to do it online rather than deal with the occasional moronic agent who I have to explain things to.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
+1 regarding the above posts.

Cancel and rebook then apply T-48 upgrade. Do it often, no issues.
OK - great to know. I was under the impression no one did it this way (maybe I didn't search deep enough...). Thanks for the informative replies!

This is why FT is so valuable.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by alc
Took me a minute to catch onto this, but now I get it - EYW bookings had to be made before 11 Oct 2017. In my case the bookings I am asking about were made after the 11th, so no harm in cancelling (and I'm not going to score well in the EYW contest).

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I actually have a flight in late November that I haven't bothered to upgrade.

I have an EF alert for Z<5, but I'm quite content to wait until T-48.

Mind you, it's 6am on a Wednesday, so I'm pretty confident it will be J1 on the Monday.

That's the other thing I should mention. I've basically stopped doing the eUp on these bookings. There's no point. There's always J space
I think I'm learning something else. Do the complimentary upgrade seats for Latitude FPs come from J inventory? If so, it should be easy to track when (or if) an eUpgrade is necessary to hold a J seat.

My previous FP experience has mostly been on Europe FPs where there are no complimentary upgrades.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
Do the complimentary upgrade seats for Latitude FPs come from J inventory?
Yes.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Took me a minute to catch onto this, but now I get it - EYW bookings had to be made before 11 Oct 2017. In my case the bookings I am asking about were made after the 11th, so no harm in cancelling (and I'm not going to score well in the EYW contest).

I think I'm learning something else. Do the complimentary upgrade seats for Latitude FPs come from J inventory? If so, it should be easy to track when (or if) an eUpgrade is necessary to hold a J seat.

My previous FP experience has mostly been on Europe FPs where there are no complimentary upgrades.
Yes, it comes from J.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:03 pm

I should add that it comes from J space when it's a Canadian point of sale.

I remember a YVR-SFO flight where AC.ca showed J0 and AC.com showed J1 (yes, it was purchasable, as I did it to prove a point to the res agent).
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:42 am

So this strategy is working as suggested - thanks to all who replied. I eUpgraded my domestic/transborder Latitude Flight Pass booking at the time of reservation, then called and cancelled within the 48 hours of departure window, and went online to reserve a complimentary Business Class seat.

I was worried initially, as the availability at T-48 was J0. I waited a couple of hours, checked EF, and found that it was now J2, so went ahead and cancelled/reacquired the upgrade (switching eUpgrade to complimentary upgrade).

Has anyone tried this when the flight shows J0?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
I've tried when it is J0 - but I take the approach (even if J>1) of doing both steps on the phone, so if it can't be done the phone rep tells me. I haven't had any problems explaining what I'm doing.

I think there was one occasion when I succeeded in a J0 situation. But of course I can't be sure; perhaps it went to J1 between when I checked and when I called in. So it doesn't hurt to ask, even when J0.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
So this strategy is working as suggested - thanks to all who replied. I eUpgraded my domestic/transborder Latitude Flight Pass booking at the time of reservation, then called and cancelled within the 48 hours of departure window, and went online to reserve a complimentary Business Class seat.

I was worried initially, as the availability at T-48 was J0. I waited a couple of hours, checked EF, and found that it was now J2, so went ahead and cancelled/reacquired the upgrade (switching eUpgrade to complimentary upgrade).

I have done it at J0. It may be risky. I opened 2 windows, one on each of 2 bowsers. I cancelled the flight from my wallet (I don't call in to do this), then immediately rebooked it and upgraded it, without problems. The biggest concern is that Y is available, so that you can rebook and that is why I open 2 windows. I start to book the flight on one of the windows, and then complete it once I cancel the other.

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Oct 28, 2017 at 8:19 am
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by PB53x11
I've tried when it is J0 - but I take the approach (even if J>1) of doing both steps on the phone, so if it can't be done the phone rep tells me. I haven't had any problems explaining what I'm doing.

I think there was one occasion when I succeeded in a J0 situation. But of course I can't be sure; perhaps it went to J1 between when I checked and when I called in. So it doesn't hurt to ask, even when J0.
Interesting that you haven't had any problems. I had the impression that they don't like their customers doing this, but it seems that it is okay.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I have done it at J0. It may be risky. I opened 2 windows, one on each of 2 bowsers.
Did this once for MrsITAG (we were on separate NA Latitude passes....) and lost her upgrade. She was not amused. I agree that it is risky.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: Free Agent
I prefer to burn the eups if i really, really want the upgrade on a FP- esp at a 'cost' 1-2 which i get back after using the pass credits. The LAT comp up is handy for when there is no upgrade space at T-48 hr- IME, it is rare that there is not at least 1 J seat for sale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.