Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition , and 2016 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs or should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Sean Peever
FT Poster
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2017)

Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
A reasonable person would be studying for their cert exam tomorrow morning.

This one is drinking beer and wondering why the Mahwah Sheraton can't keep his room above 17C.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by RangerNS
A reasonable person would be studying for their cert exam tomorrow morning.

This one is drinking beer and wondering why the Mahwah Sheraton can't keep his room above 17C.
I have two exams in the next 38 hours.... I am so burned out, tired and nothing is going in any more.
Just want to lie down and get steamrolled by both of them... dont even care anymore
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
My ECON Prof when making his 90% course grade finals
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
My ECON Prof when making his 90% course grade finals
aboot a quarter of my courses were 100% final. Get used to it.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
aboot a quarter of my courses were 100% final. Get used to it.
I'm pretty sure in UW Engineering, the final had to be at least 60%.

I don't think I ever had anything as high as 100, but I seem to recall quite a few 70s. Not quite the same, but the attitude was "if you can't pass the final, you don't deserve to pass the course".
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I don't think I ever had anything as high as 100, but I seem to recall quite a few 70s. Not quite the same, but the attitude was "if you can't pass the final, you don't deserve to pass the course".
When I was at UW Eng, it depended on the prof. Where courses were final was 100%, it was usually the "best of" either final 100% or of the course breakdown where the final would be allotted a much lower portion.

Last edited by yyznomad; Dec 14, 2017 at 10:37 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: TK *G
For the courses I had at U of T final ranged from 40% to 60%, except one course called Engineering Ethics where final was 100%, but that's a credit/non-credit course.

We had a bunch of finals where the average was below 50, since the class average going into final was like 85%.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:35 am

I loved 100% finals. I'd go do a masters tomorrow if I could be certain most of the courses would be that, instead of 20x 20 page papers each worth 5%.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
When I was at UW Eng, it depended on the prof. Where courses were final was 100%, it was usually the "best of" either final 100% or of the course breakdown.
Oh that's ringing some bells.

Can't recall if I ever did better on a final than on homework/labs though.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Oh that's ringing some bells.

Can't recall if I ever did better on a final than on homework/labs though.
We had a weird rule introduced in my 2nd or 3rd year where you max score from homework could be lowered if you did badly in the exam. It was a poor attempt to deal with plagiarism.

A better approach would have been for anyone to have walked into the labs the day before every assignment was due and look at all the cliques copying from each other.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94
We had a weird rule introduced in my 2nd or 3rd year where you max score from homework could be lowered if you did badly in the exam. It was a poor attempt to deal with plagiarism.

A better approach would have been for anyone to have walked into the labs the day before every assignment was due and look at all the cliques copying from each other.
Copying from each other? Some of our assignments were worked examples in the text. We just had to keypunch the code in. (Yes, keypunch. Old.)

I truly have no recollection what my UW marking schemes were. It made no difference to me. A heavy assignment weight would not have made me any smarter or approach it differently.

Currently, I am not permitted to make any single item of assessment worth more than 70%. If that weight was on the final exam, I would have students up one side and down the other upset that they did not have enough feedback to decide whether to drop the course after 10 weeks.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan Black, AC - E50K, NEXUS/GE

In my undergraduate, it was against university policy for an exam to be worth more than 50% if the prof didn't drop the worst midterm grade, and 70% if he did and decided to add it to the final exam. That has since changed due to the advent of all these digital classes that don't really have assignments or anything. Unfortunately, now you have math profs giving 100% final exams. I think I would have died if my ODE final exam was 100%.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by ScGhost0
In my undergraduate, it was against university policy for an exam to be worth more than 50% if the prof didn't drop the worst midterm grade, and 70% if he did and decided to add it to the final exam. That has since changed due to the advent of all these digital classes that don't really have assignments or anything. Unfortunately, now you have math profs giving 100% final exams. I think I would have died if my ODE final exam was 100%.
I'm pretty sure all my math courses were roughly:

10% homework
20-30% midterm
60-70% final

The plagiarism always made it hard to allocate more than 10% to homework. I remember a bunch of my classmates were called in over alleged plagiarism in a software course. I don't know what became of that, but something like 20 people were emailed about it.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
There were certain groups who would basically do individual homework as group work. You had one guy who knew what he was doing and 15 flunkies.

I’m sure it’s more rampant in software courses than others? Perhaps.

I remember year one we had software that would automatically mark work and try to detect copiers. They had to disable it for Hello World.

With later exercises it would crash every time some
muppet submitted his final work (you got 3 attempts) with for (int i=0;i=0;i++) or similar.

Required manually resetting every time.
Edit - My work was always known to be mine as I had a habit or doing things like making my code spell out things like “RIP” or the guys biggest football team rivals which drew some interesting comments. I also averaged about 98% in most courses though.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:35 pm

Well, just teared a new butthole after that cluster
RIP

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.