Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition , and 2016 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs or should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Sean Peever
FT Poster
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by canopus27
Makes sense. I'll dig from there. Thanks.
You are welcome. Let me know if you need more help.

Originally Posted by smallmj
What do the coding pros here think about Scratch? My ten year old has been doing scratch projects for the last six months after his older sister gave him a 20 minute intro. He's really enjoying it, but do you think that it will give him an advantage if he decides to pursue programming as a career in the future? It is certainly more honourable than his previous career choice (politics). Of course he's just a kid, and is likely to choose a dozen more careers before he finished high school.
The most important programming language is math IMO

But at an early age, interest is the most important. Glad that your son is interesting in programming.
smallmj likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
My knowlage of Commodore 64 BASIC, VBA, and Module-2 are nearly totally useless as techniques in it of themselves.
Is this the part where we start boasting about what the first computer we owned, was?

Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:56 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

Seriously.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Bohemian1

Seriously.
what the heck is this giant monstrosity
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:00 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
what the heck is this giant monstrosity
A classic which I wish I had kept. Back when computers had blinky lights, just like the movies.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: TK *G
To be specific though, "computer" (or CPU, main board, aka the part that actually does computational work) isn't getting much smaller or lighter. Even though the transistor size has reduced, more and more of them are fitted on each chip, and more chips are fitted per board.

Most of the size and weight reduction com from power supplies switching from iron core inductors to solid state devices, and sometime an entire power supply board can be implemented as a single chip solution. Also more efficient power supply means less heat dissipation, therefore no need for those heavy metal heat sinks.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
A classic which I wish I had kept. Back when computers had blinky lights, just like the movies.
Yeah ... well ... my zx80 had a full 1,024 bytes of memory. Total. Including the display memory.

Good times

---

Ha. And today I can run it in my browser. Of course I can
JavaScript ZX80 Emulator
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:04 pm

Emulators written in JavaScript

Warning: If you're an old time computer geek, don't go here https://github.com/fcambus/jsemu unless you have a bunch of time to waste.

It's amazing what you can run in a browser these days.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Is this the part where we start boasting about what the first computer we owned, was?
Yup

I even got the extended basic cartridge that allowed me to create sprites.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Right, why is Jack taking pictures of stilettos?

I learnt basic (basic then asic) in my youth. Tried and failed to learn VB. This is well before popular internet days, like late 80s and early 90s. Struggled with C++ but probably wasn’t even teenage years.

Never had the really old machines, but do remember when floppy disks were actually floppy. I’ve done a number of tours around old stuff including Bletchley park and Science museum in London .. but the best was the one near SFO (or somewhere in CA) - possibly as the guy I was with used to install systems in the ~70s onwards so really knew his stuff.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Warning: If you're an old time computer geek, don't go here https://github.com/fcambus/jsemu unless you have a bunch of time to waste.

It's amazing what you can run in a browser these days.
I just tried the TI99/4A emulator. Played a 2 level game of Tunnels of Doom. It worked perfectly. I can't believe it works so well in a browser.

I still remembered all of the crazy key commands that were specific to the TI99. Fn-6 for proceed, Fn-8 for REDO and Fn-9 for BACK. It is amazing how I can recall things from 35 years ago so well, but last week is a bit hazy.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
Right, why is Jack taking pictures of stilettos?

I learnt basic (basic then asic) in my youth. Tried and failed to learn VB. This is well before popular internet days, like late 80s and early 90s. Struggled with C++ but probably wasn’t even teenage years.
The spike of the shoes is "that close" to getting stuck in one of the holes in the floor. He was trying to use it as a metaphor regarding his predicament.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
The spike of the shoes is "that close" to getting stuck in one of the holes in the floor. He was trying to use it as a metaphor regarding his predicament.
Ah. I recall walking down the embankment once with a number of females who has to take their stilettos off to avoid this predicament

I is getting too old. Or too senile.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:55 pm

Is the forum wiki special? I can’t edit it.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
Is the forum wiki special? I can’t edit it.
Yes. "Wikipost is Locked".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.