Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition , and 2016 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs or should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Sean Peever
FT Poster
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
That feeling when you have an exam in 13 hours and 27 minutes, and you're definitely not ready

(Jack's better at memeing than me, so I'll let him fill in the blank )
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pewpew
That feeling when you have an exam in 13 hours and 27 minutes, and you're definitely not ready

(Jack's better at memeing than me, so I'll let him fill in the blank )
i remember that feeling of cramming.

in fact, in 10, 20, 30, etc. years from now, you will wake up in a cold sweat from nightmaring about this stuff and it actually feels real even after you wake up!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:31 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by yyznomad
i remember that feeling of cramming.

in fact, in 10, 20, 30, etc. years from now, you will wake up in a cold sweat from nightmaring about this stuff and it actually feels real even after you wake up!
Or worse, the "I'm missing 4 credits for my degree" nightmare where you have to go back to school and take a missing Advanced Mathematics 412 exam. 10 years later.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Or worse, the "I'm missing 4 credits for my degree" nightmare where you have to go back to school and take a missing Advanced Mathematics 412 exam. 10 years later.
lol. Totally. I still have nightmares of "not finishing my degree".
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
lol. Totally. I still have nightmares of "not finishing my degree".
I did a couple of years ago for a few minutes, until I got as far into the TN regulations that mere Community Collage was good enough for IT goons. Actually, the TN is the only thing that paperwork was useful for.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I did a couple of years ago for a few minutes, until I got as far into the TN regulations that mere Community Collage was good enough for IT goons. Actually, the TN is the only thing that paperwork was useful for.
what type of collage was it? Did it include watercolor and some pastel with magazine clippings? How many people in the community helped design it?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I still have nightmares about the job I had from 1998-2000. [shudders] Never had the back at university dreams. I enjoyed those 6 years.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smallmj
I still have nightmares about the job I had from 1998-2000. [shudders] Never had the back at university dreams. I enjoyed those 6 years.
dont get me wrong... I also enjoyed my university years, but those acute periods of cramming and stressing is like PTSD (not to trivialize those with legit PTSD)!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:26 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
dont get me wrong... I also enjoyed my university years, but those acute periods of cramming and stressing is like PTSD (not to trivialize those with legit PTSD)!
I hear you.
How I (and a couple of other folks in my cadre) did two degrees in six years is totally unknown to me. I literally can't recall that effort without stressing out. Seems like another world.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
what type of collage was it? Did it include watercolor and some pastel with magazine clippings? How many people in the community helped design it?
One that doesn't have a speeling requirement.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Me at the beginning of the year: Lol only scrubs with no self-respect would waste money to take GPA booster like Kpop and adult education class

Me two days before my international finance final that's worth 90% of course grade: Knowledge is Porridge
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I guess my Physics degrees didn't require as much cramming as some programs. They were more about understanding than remembering. Prepping for exams was just summarizing the term and creating a good formula sheet. Glad I didn't take a memory intensive program. I especially don't want to enrol in a memory intensive program now. My memory is not what it was 20-25 years ago.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
.....My memory is not what it was 20-25 years ago.
Wait...you remember what your memory was like 20 years ago?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I guess my Physics degrees didn't require as much cramming as some programs. They were more about understanding than remembering. Prepping for exams was just summarizing the term and creating a good formula sheet. Glad I didn't take a memory intensive program. I especially don't want to enrol in a memory intensive program now. My memory is not what it was 20-25 years ago.
I found high school was more about memorization and university was more about understanding.

I had to take a security "course" (online short stupid thing) for work recently, and one of the questions was along the lines of:
"What is it called when a user can take advantage of a system to execute their own queries on a SQL database?"
A. Query bypass
B. SQL injection
C. Database vulnerability

Like... how does that demonstrate ANY knowledge? The name of the thing is COMPLETELY irrelevant to my ability to identify/prevent/exploit it. "What is SQL injection?" with a few reasonable multiple choice options would be a way better question. But no. Do it the stupid way.

It reminded me of high school.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I found high school was more about memorization and university was more about understanding.
Oh boi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.