Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition , and 2016 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs or should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Sean Peever
FT Poster
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Well you should always go for option, Zuck might actually be crazy enough to go for the dick pic messaging platform.
There's little need for that now, IG has pretty much all the same features as SC, and those features are arguably easier to use with IG than they are with SC. I know many people that do not like the SC interface and have migrated more and more of their use to IG.

Literal criminal behaviour
While there's no arguing that the current state of affairs at Snap can be called a train wreck, what behavior is "criminal" about it?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by jaysona
While there's no arguing that the current state of affairs at Snap can be called a train wreck, what behavior is "criminal" about it?
While the argument can be made the founders sold a lot of $$$ and cashed out before they unleashed the trainwreck on to the public market. I believe that in their IPO roadshow video, they painted a picture a movement towards positive margins on their ad platform. (Which is clearly BS)

But you are right, legally speaking Its not criminal, perhaps "naughty" is a better term.

Though I hope their S-1 is solid enough that they won't face class-action in the future.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Nov 7, 2017 at 5:09 pm
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I live on campus and does a zipcar ride to Costco every month to buy a ton of meat, two weeks of vege & fruits + sparkling water

Its actually the most efficient way to do a lot of shopping at once.

Lol its funny but I did it last month during the midterm season when I was in Toronto for the interviews... I asked Mrs.Jack Sr to buy me enough groceries that fit into a large checked baggage and flew it from YYZ to YVR

If I had to eat another plate of their omelette
Ah memories. I used to do a once a term stock pile of soft drinks. I ran out once and decided carrying about 16kg back (with other stuff) was a good idea. Then got lost, on the 5km trek. And it was raining.

This is obviously before the days of zip cars and the like.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
While the argument can be made the founders sold a lot of $$$ and cashed out before they unleashed the trainwreck on to the public market. I believe that in their IPO roadshow video, they painted a picture a movement towards positive margins on their ad platform. (Which is clearly BS)

But you are right, legally speaking Its not criminal, perhaps "naughty" is a better term.

Though I hope their S-1 is solid enough that they won't face class-action in the future.
Doubtful. They made it very clear in their S-1

"We have incurred operating losses in the past, expect to incur operating losses in the future, and may never achieve or maintain profitability." -- page 6, and page 19 in bold italics

then again my employer put similar statements in its S-1 so ahahah lol whatevs ┐( Ż3Ż)┌
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
You pack groceries in your suitcase???
Standard practice when flying back home to SIN. Food is expensive here brah!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Tonight's Mr.Robot episode was supposed to be ground breaking, unrelenting and perfection.
And Showcase took a giant dump on it by running ads, interrupting a perfect one-shot episode. Utter scrubs

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Nov 8, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:24 am

Spoiler Free Review: Mr.Robot S3E5 - A+

Sam Esmail delivers another triumph, breathless action set piece that the set the stage for the end game.

From the first minute of the episode, the camera fixes on Eliot's state of mind and never let it go until the halfway point.
Long takes are not really revolutionary, prior cinematic masterpieces such as Birdman or Children of Men have utilized the method to place the viewer at the center of action. In the age of CGI popcorn flicks, most entertainment have lost the human touch, while watching Thor smash Hulk's face can be entertaining, there was never real stake. You don't feel the tension, anxiety because none of it matters, your mind numbs as the quick cuts of cartoonish characters fights one another. But, in the world of TV, the stakes felt real after spending hours getting to our characters and their motivations, you feel there is a connection and this is where it becomes special.

Going into ep5, the expectations were already high, many critics raved about the episode in their Season 3 reviews, and their praises were justified. This episode would rank as one of most tense hour of television since Breaking Bad 's Ozymandias or The Leftovers 's "Two Boats and a Helicopter". You feel the sense of dread, fear as the camera follows our lead characters during their moment of desperation. As the tension and action slowly built up and released with an amazing action set piece that rivals Children of Men's infamous forest chase. While at the same time, the environment and surroundings provided story cues that was a result of master world building, reinforced with a subtle storytelling of "What happened and what's going on", which set out the stage for the second stretch of season.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Nov 9, 2017 at 1:31 am
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:46 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Tonight's Mr.Robot episode was supposed to be ground breaking, unrelenting and perfection.
And Showcase took a giant dump on it by running ads, interrupting a perfect one-shot episode. Utter scrubs
Ads? What are those? I've heard of such things but can't recall seeing one.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
FYI for those who hop back and forth to the USA. Bell now has a plan available for consumers that is USA & Canada unlimited calling & text, and you also get to use your data while in the USA. No additional fees or roam like home or any of that stuff, just a wide open plan USA & Canada.

It's technically for new activations and upgrades, but as I do month-to-month I was able to do it too.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
FYI for those who hop back and forth to the USA. Bell now has a plan available for consumers that is USA & Canada unlimited calling & text, and you also get to use your data while in the USA. No additional fees or roam like home or any of that stuff, just a wide open plan USA & Canada.

It's technically for new activations and upgrades, but as I do month-to-month I was able to do it too.
Neat. Hopefully Rogers will follow instead of their current $5/day to use your existing plan in the US.
Because Canada plans are so expensive, I now have three phone numbers. A personal phone on a Rogers plan. And a dual SIM work phone with a Bell number for Canadians to call and a T-mobile number for US. Plus the T-mobile has no charge roaming most places for data and a small charge for voice calls in some countries. So no need to change SIMs or get local SIMs.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:00 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by vernonc
Neat. Hopefully Rogers will follow instead of their current $5/day to use your existing plan in the US.
Yeah, I've come to rely on my Google voice number is the US and then just use a data roaming service like Always Online wireless.

This gets evens siller in the UK/EU. I have a SIM with "3" that gives me a UK phone number w=which I use for voice. And if I'm travelling with Ms. Boh, she has a AOW (or something similar) account for data. It's sad that in the 21st Century we have to do these things but the business models simply haven't caught up to the technology.

Oh well, it will considerably more interesting as we see more devices with embedded SIMS.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Welcome to xxxx ... Otherwise pay-per-use rates are $1.50/MIN, $5/MB.

$5 per MB??? Telus fwiw. Their roaming packages are pretty good compared to Rogers mind, but adding $70/month to an existing package cost isn't exactly cheap if you travel every month(/week/day).
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:29 am

My Mrs travels back and forth from the US everyday. It just made sense for us to a snowbird plan for her with Roam mobility and a Public Mobile plan in Canada each with 4GB. In total I think we pay around $80 a month. I wish there were better options with good service. We tried Freedom but the poor service quality really killed it. Dual sim phones ftw!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
My Mrs travels back and forth from the US everyday. It just made sense for us to a snowbird plan for her with Roam mobility and a Public Mobile plan in Canada each with 4GB. In total I think we pay around $80 a month. I wish there were better options with good service. We tried Freedom but the poor service quality really killed it. Dual sim phones ftw!
I totally did that as well for many many years up until last week. But people not being able to reach me because my number constantly changes (phone or text) really was starting to suck. Plus I'm at 10-15GB user per month so the freedom to have the pooled across both wherever I happen to be is awesome.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Prior to T-Mobile offering free roaming, I had a T-Mobile SIM and a WIND SIM.

I think I kept WIND for a little while until T-Mobile allowed free calling and full-speed data in Canada, but now it's hard to beat T-Mobile.

$40*/month for unlimited talk/text/data (US), unlimited talk/text and 5GB of high-speed data (Canada/Mexico), and $0.20/minute calls & unlimited text/256kbps data (almost everywhere else)

*I'm on a 3 person family plan with a corporate discount, so it's about $120/month for the 3 lines

As an added bonus, T-Mobiile wifi calling/texting works on Gogo-equipped aircraft, so I can SMS and even make phone calls (not that I've done it other than to test the feature, though I would find it quite amusing to call the concierge and say "Hi, I think I'm going to be late - we haven't landed yet")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.