Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition , and 2016 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs or should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Sean Peever
FT Poster
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2017)

Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'd also throw it out there that degree-less software engineers are, by _far_, the exception.

I did very little "coding" at UW. I learned other things.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd also throw it out there that degree-less software engineers are, by _far_, the exception.

Like the correct ratio of rum to Coke Zero?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult
Like the correct ratio of rum to Coke Zero?
No, I never really drank hard liquor until doing EYWv3 with @DrunkCargo.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Current mood:
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:47 pm

Same, even for operating systems I did very little "coding"
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
@Jumper Jack - an alternative you can consider is to apply for a coding bootcamp. We've made quite a few hires from places like appacademy, hackreactor, etc
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: TK *G
It depends on what types of software engineers. At one place I interned at, more than half of the firmware engineers graduated as electrical engineer. In finance related software companies, many of them are from fields like statistics, actuarial science, and many physics related degrees. As for web development, I see a mix between people coming from colleges and universities.

What seems true, IMO, is that most of the top tier software engineers are the ones graduated with a CS/CE/SE degree from top tier universities, especially among new grads and recent grads.

The first thing I learned was how to write technical documents and communication skills, which are probably the most important skills for all engineers. But I suppose Jack has already learned them from business school.

I also learned some linear algebra and probability theory, which I didn't find interesting until I started to learn machine learning. The advanced topics in these subjects are essential for understanding machine learning. That's probably something people don't learn on their own, and there are very few learning materials freely available on the internet.

The only thing you can't learn outside of school is probably research skills. In my final year capstone projects I probably read over 100 papers under the supervision of a professor and we almost published something. If doing it on your own, you don't have access to those papers first of all.

What many self learners miss IMO are what I considered hardcore software courses: algorithms and data structures, OS, and networks. These courses are about why code works rather than how to write codes.

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Same, even for operating systems I did very little "coding"
Yea, it was only 1000 lines for each lab, except after I typed everything even printf didn't work
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:09 pm

I'll tell a bit of my story as an employer looking for a dev.

The degree for us was what got your foot in the door. I gave my requirements to HR and one of them was a CS degree. We had one or two guys that weren't CS/CE grads and the technical interview was challenging for them since they couldn't talk about things like different design patterns or data structures. The other important thing was fit. We had people who may have been strong technically but just couldn't interview well or just couldn't hold a conversation.

It's incredibly challenging looking for a good dev or even one that fit in with the team and was able to not necessarily give the right answers during the technical portion but at least think through the questions. You would be incredibly surprised at how many developers couldn't walk me through a problem.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by yannerd
You would be incredibly surprised at how many developers couldn't walk me through a problem.
I've seen it time and time again. My one friend in Toronto has a team of Russian programmers. They do their online commenting in Russian, so he has started taking Russian classes. He said they are very good, just the lack of English is an issue. He's looking at setting up a dev office in Russia now.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I've seen it time and time again. My one friend in Toronto has a team of Russian programmers. They do their online commenting in Russian, so he has started taking Russian classes. He said they are very good, just the lack of English is an issue. He's looking at setting up a dev office in Russia now.
We have teams in India and Romania. The Romanian guys get it and are on top of it. The indian guys is like having 4 layers of bureaucracy before anyone will even write a specification document.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by yannerd
You would be incredibly surprised at how many developers couldn't walk me through a problem.
On one hand, I wouldn't be surprised, because I also do a lot of interviewing.

On the other hand, our recruiters are getting pretty good at filtering out the trash.

Though some of the phone screens I do are ridiculous.

"I have to write a... a... a loop? Is that the right solution?"
etc.

Last edited by canadiancow; Oct 20, 2017 at 9:33 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
This is why I come to AC FT everyday, you guys say the most fascinating things
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
This is why I come to AC FT everyday, you guys say the most fascinating things
Sounds like someone is fishing for a job

I find UBC's claim to have the only CS degree in western Canada interesting. I guess we've forgotten AB and SK
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:53 am

On one hand, I wouldn't be surprised, because I do interviewing.

On the other hand, our recruiters are getting pretty good at filtering out the trash.

Though some of the phone screen I do are ridiculous.

"I have to write a... a.... a loop? Is that the right solution?"
etc.
This is why my first round interviews are super basic Programming questions. Filters out the rubbish.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:44 am

On one hand, I wouldn't be surprised, because I do interviewing.

Though some of the phone screen I do are ridiculous.

"I have to write a... a.... a loop? Is that the right solution?"
etc.
LOL our recruiters are terrible at phone screens. We had 2 or 3 CS grads who would completely bomb any sort of technical questions.

I remember with one interviewee it was like "So how would you do x in C#" then they just stared at the screen for a few minutes and we said "It's ok... just write it in any language you want" more starring finally it was "Just describe to me how you would do it" blank stare. It wasn't some complex problem it was something really easy. I think after that I said "Sorry, we've got some meetings we need to do. Thanks for coming"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.