Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition , and 2016 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs or should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Sean Peever
FT Poster
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Zack Snyder left due to family issues. His daughter committed suicide. I hope that he and his family are alright. I think the movie will be fine. They got Josh Whedon to step in and see the project to completion.
Think was beyond that, entire DC EU (Which is >1B undertaking) was in trouble until Patty Jenkins saved the day(somewhat?)
Many were calling for his head before this even happened, if JL bombs with critic again(which is likely given the trailer)... he will likely be asked to step away.

WB is bringing more directors to save the day. Affleck was booted off the director chair while others like Matt Reeves, Josh Whedon(though I find his movies to be meh at best) and James Wan are brought in. Whedon was more of a TV show runner who were parachuted in to save troubled marvel movie like Thor 2, so it remains to be see how much change he can bring with just four months to go.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Have you flown the D enough to actually make that determination?
Thats fair so I guess I should have said "D_ _ _ _ ?"
Though given their 777 is still 9 abreast, also having an app to track baggage, and also first to introduce free food on PLH routes. All points to an airline superior to AC for the majority of travelers no?
There is literally no service that will be good enough for me to say "Damn I am glad they went 10 across for this"

If there is still one airline left in NA with 3-3-3 seating, than no other airline is worthy of #1 imo.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jun 26, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by maradori
I think Jack wants the D ahahahaha
If by D you meant Deloitte Digital or S&O sure lol lol lol
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well I'm flying SFO-ATL-BWI on Saturday (DL, obviously) and BWI-CLT-SFO on Monday (AA, obviously).

My first flights on either airline long enough to get a meal. So I'm going to have a chance to compare. Though even after that, it's not like one good or one bad experience will make or break my opinion.

I have an opinion about AC and UA, and that's from far too many flights on both
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Folks, there is a Delta forum for Delta discussion and threads outside of this one for AC topics so let's please go back to more general conversations.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
If by D you meant Deloitte Digital or S&O sure lol lol lol
Which office are you looking to base out of?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Which office are you looking to base out of?
Toronto if possible.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Toronto if possible.
What if you were told that you'd have to be staffed on local projects for five years?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:33 am

What if you were told that you'd have to be staffed on local projects for five years?
As long as I get to go home during the weekends twice a month, will go where ever the opportunity is.

If by local you mean Toronto, even better!

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jun 27, 2017 at 10:45 am
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as I get to go home during the weekends twice a month, will go where ever the opportunity is.

If by local you mean Toronto, even better!
Yes, when you are staffed out of office X, then "X" is considered local/home.
Since we are talking about the trad consulting giants, and not "hey I'm cooler than all of you" Google, such companies typically do not front free travel from the "local/home" office to your place of preferred residence on a frequent basis, or at all.

And before you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, some here do know that I know what I'm talking about.

Have you had a chance to engage with any S&O practitioners from the Toronto office?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Today, I hiked my way up a mountain and then hitchhiked my way back down, so that was cool
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by pewpew
Today, I hiked my way up a mountain and then hitchhiked my way back down, so that was cool
Suddenly I started humming "The Grand Old Duke of York."
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:03 pm

Have you had a chance to engage with any S&O practitioners from the Toronto office?
Yes, connected with an analyst there(via Reddit believe it or not). He and another analyst at McKinsey gave me a lot of valuable feedback on my resume and case interview skills.

Currently compiling a list of alumni targets at consulting firms so I can network properly during the Toronto alumni mixer two weeks from now. I want to network as much as possible while I am still here, as fall recruiting from UBC is much harder esp since I am not in SCMP.

I still feel like I am not entirely comfortable in my own skin, had a lot of opp to network before but opt not to because of my shyness. (Though I guess that must change now if I want to get my foot in the door)
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Consider your skin just a costume, and inhabit a persona when you mingle. For the first few years of being a VP, I used to imagine it was my (fearless) sister and not me having career-ending conversations with people twice my age. I was able to say things that I would not myself have been comfortable to say.
If you are playing a role and improvising within an imagined scripted plot, it can be easier to cope than if you think people are judging your inner self. That is not to say be phony, but rather, portray the you that you imagine you would be if you were not shy.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Consider your skin just a costume, and inhabit a persona when you mingle. For the first few years of being a VP, I used to imagine it was my (fearless) sister and not me having career-ending conversations with people twice my age. I was able to say things that I would not myself have been comfortable to say.
If you are playing a role and improvising within an imagined scripted plot, it can be easier to cope than if you think people are judging your inner self. That is not to say be phony, but rather, portray the you that you imagine you would be if you were not shy.
I feel that makes me lose my authenticity though. Which is what I have been told by people close to me, that its one of my strength.

I can imagine the person I wish to be as much I want... but that person is still not me.

I really dont know if I can play that role nine hours a day... five days a week.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel that makes me lose my authenticity though. Which is what I have been told by people close to me, that its one of my strength.

I can imagine the person I wish to be as much I want... but that person is still not me.

I really dont know if I can play that role nine hours a day... five days a week.
That's why you fake it until you make it. With practice it becomes more natural.

So yeah, it's gonna feel and seem fake at first, but just work at it. It's not going to be fixed magically overnight. Just keep trudging away at it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.